Roaring Girl

The adventures of the yacht Roaring Girl wandering the seas.

12 August 2013 | Ipswich, England
17 July 2012
16 July 2012
10 July 2012
05 July 2012
03 July 2012
03 July 2012
03 July 2012
02 July 2012 | Shanghai (high up!)
02 July 2012 | Shanghai (high up!)
02 July 2012 | Shanghai (high up!)
02 July 2012
02 July 2012 | Shanghai
01 July 2012
01 July 2012 | Moganshan Lu, Shanghai

Port America's Cup, Valencia � and the rest

03 August 2007 | Valencia
Hot
The Cup finished in early July; with both skippers and 58.5% of the two crews, New Zealand scores either way, but otherwise we'd prefer not to talk about the result.
The place is pretty empty. There's space for at least 150 large yachts in the North Marina alone (where we are), but there's less than 30. We're not the smallest, but we're not far off. There's Dutch, German, French, Italian, American and one we think is Kiwi. Some of the boats are shut up, their owners obviously elsewhere after the excitement. So it's rather eerie, the stillness surrounded by all these brand new facilities.
Speaking of facilities, the toilets and showers must have been overwhelmed when the place was full. At the moment, only one of each is open. Given the scale of the project, these are not brilliant. The office staff are slightly erratic in their opening hours: 0900 was well after 1000 on Saturday, but departure is prompt at 1900. Not surprising perhaps, given the uncertain future.
To some extent, this is nitpicking. The port as a whole is a huge achievement, built in just three years on underused docks, incorporating a new canal nearly a kilometre long, massive amounts of new landscaping, the lovely Veles y vents (sails and winds) building. If the use and quality of these spaces is kept up, it will have been an amazing regeneration project.
At the moment, as the post on pilotage says, there's been no decision about the future of the marina. If the Spanish government need some help working on what to do, we know a very good regeneration strategist with extensive understanding of how the leisure marine sector works, and lots of experience with complicated partnerships. As a freebie to start with: decide who's managing it, and start selling winter berths. Otherwise a wonderful centre which could be such an impetus for yachting (racing and cruising) will become another slightly run-down area full of the little sport fishing boats that are so popular all over Spain.

Comments
Vessel Name: Roaring Girl
Vessel Make/Model: Maxi 120
Hailing Port: Ipswich
Crew: Pip Harris and Sarah Tanburn
About: Captain Sarah and Chief Engineer/Mate Pip moved on board in 2003 and finally made the break in 2006. Roaring Girl, launched in 1977, has already been round the world once, and has a lot more seamiles than the two of us put together.
Extra: These pages aim to bring you our adventures as they happen, as well as Roaring Girl's sailing prowess. And to show off Pip's silverwork as well.

Who we are

Who: Pip Harris and Sarah Tanburn
Port: Ipswich