Roaring Girl

The adventures of the yacht Roaring Girl wandering the seas.

12 August 2013 | Ipswich, England
17 July 2012
16 July 2012
10 July 2012
05 July 2012
03 July 2012
03 July 2012
03 July 2012
02 July 2012 | Shanghai (high up!)
02 July 2012 | Shanghai (high up!)
02 July 2012 | Shanghai (high up!)
02 July 2012
02 July 2012 | Shanghai
01 July 2012
01 July 2012 | Moganshan Lu, Shanghai

Mosquitoes and mistral

31 August 2007 | Port Napoleon
Blowing hard
Exciting though it is to be in the Camargue, nowhere escapes the mosquitoes or the mistral. We left it just too late to retreat below, and got bitten to bits on Wednesday night. The mossies here are enormous, they don't buzz and they really sting when they bite you. Then they leave a disgusting smear of blood on the headlining when you finally swat one!
Our new friends, Carol and Ray from Storm Chaser, recommended the electronic buzzers and a good fly swat. Pip got both in town on Thursday.
The mistral is building itself up to a right tantrum. A French boat arrived about 1800 yesterday reporting gusts up to 52 knots of wind out there. We are very pleased we came in when we did. One reason for being here in Port Napoleon is that all the boats are supported on strong steel cradles, with excellent yard supervision. When it howls like this for weeks on end in the winter, you need to know your boat is well secured.
The picture is our courtesy flags being blown about. On the starboard side (on the left as we are looking aft, towards the back of the boat), is the French flag, which is also their nautical ensign. Maritime law requires any vessel in foreign territorial waters to fly the flag of their hosts. Below is a small euro flag, as we are strong supporters of the European idea. Besides, it winds up other Brits in an amusing way. (We have seen lots of other EU boats with such flags, but never another from the UK.)
On the other side, the top flag is our club burgee, for the Cruising Association. This identifies us to other members, and has made us several friends along the way. We also fly the Kiwi ensign, as Pip is on board. This one is getting very tatty, so we will replace it in the new year. It also keeps obstinately wrapping around its halyard; it was pulled down and untangled moments before this photo was taken.
Comments
Vessel Name: Roaring Girl
Vessel Make/Model: Maxi 120
Hailing Port: Ipswich
Crew: Pip Harris and Sarah Tanburn
About: Captain Sarah and Chief Engineer/Mate Pip moved on board in 2003 and finally made the break in 2006. Roaring Girl, launched in 1977, has already been round the world once, and has a lot more seamiles than the two of us put together.
Extra: These pages aim to bring you our adventures as they happen, as well as Roaring Girl's sailing prowess. And to show off Pip's silverwork as well.

Who we are

Who: Pip Harris and Sarah Tanburn
Port: Ipswich