Roaring Girl

The adventures of the yacht Roaring Girl wandering the seas.

12 August 2013 | Ipswich, England
17 July 2012
16 July 2012
10 July 2012
05 July 2012
03 July 2012
03 July 2012
03 July 2012
02 July 2012 | Shanghai (high up!)
02 July 2012 | Shanghai (high up!)
02 July 2012 | Shanghai (high up!)
02 July 2012
02 July 2012 | Shanghai
01 July 2012
01 July 2012 | Moganshan Lu, Shanghai

The rubbish run

05 July 2008
The pretty house (absolutely inaccessible and invisible from the beach itself) is at the head of the anchorage. In front of it, to the right of the picture, is a wee jetty for tying up dinghies. Turn left and scramble over some rocks and you will find the track to the Fort. On the way are a couple of useful skips. So on Saturday, as it was calm in the morning, Sarah decided to sail Bridget ashore and take the rubbish away.
What a palaver! Those of you who sling your black sacks outside once a week have no idea. Two small black bags after a week, not including the recycling which is awaiting a proper destination.
There wasn't much wind for the trip up the port, with some gusts helping the tacks. Once we got to the narrow channel for the jetty, out came the oars. Tied up, took rubbish to bin, got feet only slightly wet. Got back in dinghy.
Hoisted sail; sheet had come off so hastily dropped sail and reattached. Wind coming up so bombed up narrow channel and into anchorage at very high speed. Whoops! Big gust so sailed at rope to ensure we didn't hit any of the anchored boats swinging about. Got off rope. Off again, glance under sail. S??"T! Two motorboats, one very large are both manoeuvring for an anchoring spot. Not only are they right in our path - they're right over Roaring Girl's anchor (which we had marked with a small buoy carefully marked with a 'no anchoring' sign). They're shouting at each other and we steer straight back to the rope out of danger. Sort ourselves out and dash forward again, right under the bows of one of the boats, calling 'c'est notre ancre. Notre chaine! Pas la!) And with great relief arrive back at Roaring Girl; even she is swinging around in the gusts now sweeping through.
Hoik everything back on board. Watch everyone trying to anchor and failing. Keep an eye on our own anchor to make sure people don't anchor on top of it. And you thought remembering Tuesday is bin day was an effort!
Comments
Vessel Name: Roaring Girl
Vessel Make/Model: Maxi 120
Hailing Port: Ipswich
Crew: Pip Harris and Sarah Tanburn
About: Captain Sarah and Chief Engineer/Mate Pip moved on board in 2003 and finally made the break in 2006. Roaring Girl, launched in 1977, has already been round the world once, and has a lot more seamiles than the two of us put together.
Extra: These pages aim to bring you our adventures as they happen, as well as Roaring Girl's sailing prowess. And to show off Pip's silverwork as well.

Who we are

Who: Pip Harris and Sarah Tanburn
Port: Ipswich