Roaring Girl

The adventures of the yacht Roaring Girl wandering the seas.

12 August 2013 | Ipswich, England
17 July 2012
16 July 2012
10 July 2012
05 July 2012
03 July 2012
03 July 2012
03 July 2012
02 July 2012 | Shanghai (high up!)
02 July 2012 | Shanghai (high up!)
02 July 2012 | Shanghai (high up!)
02 July 2012
02 July 2012 | Shanghai
01 July 2012
01 July 2012 | Moganshan Lu, Shanghai

More on anchoring: this time crowding

07 July 2008
We have seen some truly awful anchoring techniques. The sports fishing boat that drove into Port Man, dropped the anchor at speed and kept going till it stuck. They had a helluva job getting it up! The motorboat that put down about 7m of chain in 5m of water. The ones who go right on top of an anchor buoy.
This chappie drove in right next to us just after we'd moved Roaring Girl (being slightly worried about the depth where we were). He dropped his hook not on top of ours but not far away. We wouldn't have like his position, because any swing put him close to some little fishing boats on mooring buoys, but that's his choice.
Then he puts out a stern anchor! So we asked him if he planned to stay the night. Oh yes. We said, we're a bit worried because we have 30m of chain out (in 8m of water), and we could swing on top of you.
Monsieur Golliwog (the name of his boat) shouted back that of course we were the type who objected to anyone within 20m of us. No, we said; only because of your stern anchor. In the end, we told him it was his problem if anything happened, and took some pictures in an ostentatious fashion.
Thankfully, some hours later, the wind has died and he has taken his stern anchor in.
People do anchor very close here; there is no tide, but in some ways that makes it worse as boats veer unpredictably in wind shifts. French boats keep their fenders ready at all times - it's not just those marina arrivals, it's the anchorages too!
Comments
Vessel Name: Roaring Girl
Vessel Make/Model: Maxi 120
Hailing Port: Ipswich
Crew: Pip Harris and Sarah Tanburn
About: Captain Sarah and Chief Engineer/Mate Pip moved on board in 2003 and finally made the break in 2006. Roaring Girl, launched in 1977, has already been round the world once, and has a lot more seamiles than the two of us put together.
Extra: These pages aim to bring you our adventures as they happen, as well as Roaring Girl's sailing prowess. And to show off Pip's silverwork as well.

Who we are

Who: Pip Harris and Sarah Tanburn
Port: Ipswich