Roaring Girl

The adventures of the yacht Roaring Girl wandering the seas.

12 August 2013 | Ipswich, England
17 July 2012
16 July 2012
10 July 2012
05 July 2012
03 July 2012
03 July 2012
03 July 2012
02 July 2012 | Shanghai (high up!)
02 July 2012 | Shanghai (high up!)
02 July 2012 | Shanghai (high up!)
02 July 2012
02 July 2012 | Shanghai
01 July 2012
01 July 2012 | Moganshan Lu, Shanghai

Th�oule and the Port de la Rague

12 July 2008 | At anchor
This picture, from the hill of Th�oule, shows Roaring Girl situated halfway between the port of Th�oule and the marina at Port de la Rague. At the back of the latter you can see the distinctive viaduct that carries the coastal train between St Raphael and Nice.
Th�oule port is itself a marina, but it has very few boats above 10m in it. It's advertising says it can take boats up to 12m, but I doubt the laid lines are really long enough. There is a small welcome pontoon, and one day we did tie Bridget to it, but then got told off for leaving her there as it's really for arriving boats booking into the marina. They didn't mind us using the quay and their taps to fill up with water, which was handy. The only other solution is to go to the beach, which is steeply graded but perfectly usable.
The little town does have a laundrette! A good big machine for ?'?5 a go. We did two big loads and dried them in minutes on lines slung about the boat. It does not, however, have boat size gas bottles, of any make. We trudged all over looking for some and failed completely.
This was a good harbour, and very sheltered during a strong south-westerly. We only saw about 25 knots of wind, but the navtex and meteo-france were forecasting and reporting winds up to 40 knots elsewhere. We spent quite a lot of time bobbing up and down over night but our trust anchor had got itself well bedded in.
In fact, far more alarming was the enormous number of tiny pleasure boats around us during the day. We had 45m of chain out, giving us a big swing in the gusts and we kept a sharp eye on any boats too nearby. That's in addition to wondering if any of them would take our anchor chain up with them when they left. Being Bastille Day weekend the anchorage was packed during the day, though it cleared out about 1900, and we came to no harm.
Comments
Vessel Name: Roaring Girl
Vessel Make/Model: Maxi 120
Hailing Port: Ipswich
Crew: Pip Harris and Sarah Tanburn
About: Captain Sarah and Chief Engineer/Mate Pip moved on board in 2003 and finally made the break in 2006. Roaring Girl, launched in 1977, has already been round the world once, and has a lot more seamiles than the two of us put together.
Extra: These pages aim to bring you our adventures as they happen, as well as Roaring Girl's sailing prowess. And to show off Pip's silverwork as well.

Who we are

Who: Pip Harris and Sarah Tanburn
Port: Ipswich