Roaring Girl

The adventures of the yacht Roaring Girl wandering the seas.

12 August 2013 | Ipswich, England
17 July 2012
16 July 2012
10 July 2012
05 July 2012
03 July 2012
03 July 2012
03 July 2012
02 July 2012 | Shanghai (high up!)
02 July 2012 | Shanghai (high up!)
02 July 2012 | Shanghai (high up!)
02 July 2012
02 July 2012 | Shanghai
01 July 2012
01 July 2012 | Moganshan Lu, Shanghai

Why here?

16 July 2008
This view looks north west across the Golfe de Napoule, with Cannes on the right. (Roaring Girl is the boat to the left, just visible under the tree.)
It is not immediately obvious why the powers that be wanted a fort on this side of the island, looking at the mainland, rather than protecting the approaches from the open sea. But there have been fortifications here for thousands of years, as the many Roman remains testify, illustrating settlement as early as the sixth century BC.
The answer lies in the anchorage, the only secure one in the vicinity of Cannes. For much of Mediterranean history, maritime trade has been relatively short haul and coastal, relying on finding sanctuary easily in the sudden storms and steep seas that haunt the basin.
It seems possible that the few longer-haul ships, carrying diverse cargo from places like Gades (Cadiz) to Ostia (the port of Rome) may have also hugged the coast, and used this as a safe stop. Not always safe however: a 1st century Roman wreck has been found on the rocks to the eastern end of the islands, as well as a 10th century Saracen wreck.
So in addition to be an important prison, the Fort protected the anchorage and His Majesy's trade. This might make us sleep easier at night, but only so long as there is no strong easterly wind!
Comments
Vessel Name: Roaring Girl
Vessel Make/Model: Maxi 120
Hailing Port: Ipswich
Crew: Pip Harris and Sarah Tanburn
About: Captain Sarah and Chief Engineer/Mate Pip moved on board in 2003 and finally made the break in 2006. Roaring Girl, launched in 1977, has already been round the world once, and has a lot more seamiles than the two of us put together.
Extra: These pages aim to bring you our adventures as they happen, as well as Roaring Girl's sailing prowess. And to show off Pip's silverwork as well.

Who we are

Who: Pip Harris and Sarah Tanburn
Port: Ipswich