Roaring Girl

The adventures of the yacht Roaring Girl wandering the seas.

12 August 2013 | Ipswich, England
17 July 2012
16 July 2012
10 July 2012
05 July 2012
03 July 2012
03 July 2012
03 July 2012
02 July 2012 | Shanghai (high up!)
02 July 2012 | Shanghai (high up!)
02 July 2012 | Shanghai (high up!)
02 July 2012
02 July 2012 | Shanghai
01 July 2012
01 July 2012 | Moganshan Lu, Shanghai

Antibes

18 July 2008 | Anchored in the Anse de la Salis
Antibes, although as everywhere on the coast, fearfully expensive, is a great spot. No wonder Graham Greene lived here for 20 years.
We anchored in the southern end of the Anse de Salis, looking about 1km north to the old town. This is a good spot; once through the weed there's good holding and it's well sheltered. It does get very busy on a sunny summer weekend, but nearly all the little boats disappear at night. At the other end of the spectrum is the parade of superyachts, which mostly anchor right outside the marina.
Pip did a clever bodge job on the outboard which was enough to get us into that marina. They were astounded at being asked if we could tie up, but let us tuck Bridget into a corner. We then walked to the Honda dealer in town, which turned out to be about 3km away in the blazing heat up a main road! We have a history of route marches and this continued the fine tradition. At least we did manage to order the parts, to be picked up next week.
Our second day there we went into the tiny Port de Salis, as the southern end. This is too small and too shallow for Roaring Girl but they let us tie up the dinghy. There is a free bus into town: it runs from the little turning circle on the far side of the road at the very sharp corner at the edge of the port, right into the bus station in the centre of Antibes. In general the buses round here are excellent, but not to be charged is even better.
A great spot for swimming to, in warm, soft water. They light up the fort and the cathedral at night and it's really pretty. Altogether a very enjoyable stop.

Comments
Vessel Name: Roaring Girl
Vessel Make/Model: Maxi 120
Hailing Port: Ipswich
Crew: Pip Harris and Sarah Tanburn
About: Captain Sarah and Chief Engineer/Mate Pip moved on board in 2003 and finally made the break in 2006. Roaring Girl, launched in 1977, has already been round the world once, and has a lot more seamiles than the two of us put together.
Extra: These pages aim to bring you our adventures as they happen, as well as Roaring Girl's sailing prowess. And to show off Pip's silverwork as well.

Who we are

Who: Pip Harris and Sarah Tanburn
Port: Ipswich