Roaring Girl

The adventures of the yacht Roaring Girl wandering the seas.

12 August 2013 | Ipswich, England
17 July 2012
16 July 2012
10 July 2012
05 July 2012
03 July 2012
03 July 2012
03 July 2012
02 July 2012 | Shanghai (high up!)
02 July 2012 | Shanghai (high up!)
02 July 2012 | Shanghai (high up!)
02 July 2012
02 July 2012 | Shanghai
01 July 2012
01 July 2012 | Moganshan Lu, Shanghai

All that Jazz

22 July 2008 | Cimiez
We wouldn't have called Leonard Cohen jazz, but were delighted to have the chance to see him on his first world tour in 15 years. His London gigs had got rave reviews, so we took a deep breath and lashed out for tickets. (The jazz purists don't count him either, with sniffy comments about too mainstream a line-up. Of course, they don't have to balance the books!)
Cohen was boot-shiveringly good. Hallelujah sung the way it should be (compared to the wimpier versions currently popular), an amazing In the Tower of Song and many others. The park was packed; even though we got to the stage nearly two hours before he was due on, we were too far away to see much. So we retreated even further and sat on a high wall. We couldn't see him much, but watched the darkening sky, swung our heels against the stone-work and sung along.
After Cohen, we made our way to another stage, to see the Maria Schnieder Orchestra, an American combo led by a woman, and a lot of brass. We arrived at the start of a fab trumpet solo, also by a woman, which was great both to see and hear.
We're going back on Saturday to see Joan Baez.
Comments
Vessel Name: Roaring Girl
Vessel Make/Model: Maxi 120
Hailing Port: Ipswich
Crew: Pip Harris and Sarah Tanburn
About: Captain Sarah and Chief Engineer/Mate Pip moved on board in 2003 and finally made the break in 2006. Roaring Girl, launched in 1977, has already been round the world once, and has a lot more seamiles than the two of us put together.
Extra: These pages aim to bring you our adventures as they happen, as well as Roaring Girl's sailing prowess. And to show off Pip's silverwork as well.

Who we are

Who: Pip Harris and Sarah Tanburn
Port: Ipswich