The Voyage of 'S/V Röde Orm' - Sweden

Come on board and take part in our adventures while exploring the world at the slow pace of a sailing boat. We left in June 2009, heading south to escape the northern winter... to start with. Currently in Algarve/Portugal taking it one day at a time.

13 September 2010
11 September 2010 | Nantes, Bretagne-France
07 September 2010 | Bretagne (or Normandie?)
02 September 2010 | still the same...
31 August 2010 | Rezè- Bretagne (boat in Rio Guadiana)
09 August 2010 | Rezé//Bretagne//France
18 July 2010 | Clisson/La Sèvre
15 July 2010 | Nantes/ Brittany
14 July 2010 | Nantes/Bretagne/France
25 June 2010 | Gamleby- Sweden
05 June 2010 | Mértola// Minas San Domingo
27 May 2010 | Alcoutim
24 May 2010 | of the River
21 May 2010 | Alcoutim/Sanlucar
21 May 2010 | Alcoutim/Sanlucar
16 May 2010 | Alcoutim
10 May 2010 | Alcoutim/Sanlucar
30 April 2010 | Alcoutim-PT// Sanlucar- ES
24 April 2010 | Ayamonte - Andalucia - Spain

Arrival of the Mechanic

08 August 2008 | Dirham
This little harbour, Dirham has a couple of advantages over Lehtma. On shore, exactly where the breakwater starts, ther is a small but very nice resaurant serving simple, but fresh and well prepared dishes. We sampled the Flounder at night. Furthermore there is a small food shop just 200 meters from it which we really appreciated. Last time we provisioned was at Kuressaare some time ago.

However, there is nothing more to mention about the place as such except that it seems so strange to us, that there are harbours here without as much as a village to accompany them. It still beats me, but it could be that they were built under the Soviet era for Navy purpose, what do I know...

At 6 in the evening (a Friday!) the mechanic came. Much to my relief he spoke quite good engish and seemed very profesional even though he were young.

After a while I realized that he mainly did installations of new engines, and regular maintenance. Therefore, it didn't come as a surprise to me that he found himself in a sort of chock when he saw the somewhat 'rugged' surface of the rusty old beast reigning under the cockpit floor n R�de Orm. This 3 cyl.Yanmar is built in -82, has an unknown number of running hours, admittingly looks horrid, but nevertheless has been serving me perfectly for 280 hours.

The corrosion obviously takes it's toll though. It took the two of us almost four hours to get the head off the engine so he could take it with him to his workshop. Every nut and every bolt fought for their life, and the injectors were extremely reluctant to leave their familiar environment. We had to cut two of the fuel lines from the pressure pump to the injectors after making the nuts more round than hectagonal, and my knuckles will carry their bloody trace from this battle for a few days. At time, this guy was a bit grumpy, suggesting an new engine, but I quickly took out the oil diostick and showed him how nice the oil looke after almost 80 hours, and the interiior of the cylinders looke good too.

The canals for the cooling water was clogged in both the head and the block suggesting that something has broke and come adrift...

Not much more to be said for the moment, quie exhausted I fell asleep as soon as I heard his car leave the dock.
Comments
Vessel Name: Röde Orm
Vessel Make/Model: Laurin 32 ketch built in 1965
Hailing Port: Falsterbo -Sweden
Crew: Magnus & Isabelle
About:
MAGNUS, Swedish skipper. Navigation teacher and a Commercial Yachtmaster. After many years of dreaming, recently sold off his business since over 20 years. Left swedish waters in June 2009 and hasn't yet looked back ISABELLE, Born in Brittany/France & First Mate. [...]
Extra:
During 2008 we cruised during two and a half months in the Baltic Sea as covered in the older posts on this blog together with Magnus's 2007 cruise to 66 degrees North in the Baltic Sea. During this spring of 2009 we completed an extensive exterior refit of Röde Orm, and untied the docking [...]
Home Page: www.sailblogs.com/member/rodeorm

Who: Magnus & Isabelle
Port: Falsterbo -Sweden