The Voyage of 'S/V Röde Orm' - Sweden

Come on board and take part in our adventures while exploring the world at the slow pace of a sailing boat. We left in June 2009, heading south to escape the northern winter... to start with. Currently in Algarve/Portugal taking it one day at a time.

13 September 2010
11 September 2010 | Nantes, Bretagne-France
07 September 2010 | Bretagne (or Normandie?)
02 September 2010 | still the same...
31 August 2010 | Rezè- Bretagne (boat in Rio Guadiana)
09 August 2010 | Rezé//Bretagne//France
18 July 2010 | Clisson/La Sèvre
15 July 2010 | Nantes/ Brittany
14 July 2010 | Nantes/Bretagne/France
25 June 2010 | Gamleby- Sweden
05 June 2010 | Mértola// Minas San Domingo
27 May 2010 | Alcoutim
24 May 2010 | of the River
21 May 2010 | Alcoutim/Sanlucar
21 May 2010 | Alcoutim/Sanlucar
16 May 2010 | Alcoutim
10 May 2010 | Alcoutim/Sanlucar
30 April 2010 | Alcoutim-PT// Sanlucar- ES
24 April 2010 | Ayamonte - Andalucia - Spain

New Engine Problems?!!

06 September 2008 | Jurmo
When I fired up the engine this morning it took at least 15 seconds of cranking before it started. A fair bit of unburnt fuel came with the cooling water and lots of grey smoke to follow.

And horror! As soon as it was was working normally again I could here the knocking sound. Could it be that some water had come into at least one cylinder and thus bent a valve or two???? I felt just devastated now, this is too much. Sorry, but the Estonians hadn't got a clue as how to install an engine. Despite me mentioning this issue and asking about a vacuum valve at least twice they just shrugged and showed no signs what so ever of even being aware of the existance of such an item.

OK, we HAVE to get a mechanic in Mariehamn, and tonight I HAVE to disconnect the water hose from the exhaust elbow to see if that helps. Then I have the diagnosis clear, I think. Unfortunately, this would mean that this brand new engine with 4 hours on the gauge has to be opened again in a half day job at least. Will this voyage ever get back to being normal I wonder?

A light headwind kept us motoring for 4-5 hours. You will probablyy not believe this, but after an hour or so the next engine problem arose. First the RPM gauge stopped working. Hmm, no big deal, but it suggests a wiring problem or a bad connection somewhere. Then after a while the Beeper and 'low oil pressure alarm lamp' started acting up. Not steadily though, but like a connection issue too. I shut the egine off and then started again, same thing. Shut it off - disconnected the wire harness and connected it again- Then it worked. Interesting isn't it?

Anyway, the effort of today took us to Jurmo, this lovely pearl among all the jewels of th Finnish Archipelago Sea. I described this last year in this blog, so let me just add that it was raining, we picked a litre of lingonberries while walking around the island for 3 hours in the afternoon. Then we cooked Lingonberry Jam! Mmmm, soooo nice.

Comments
Vessel Name: Röde Orm
Vessel Make/Model: Laurin 32 ketch built in 1965
Hailing Port: Falsterbo -Sweden
Crew: Magnus & Isabelle
About:
MAGNUS, Swedish skipper. Navigation teacher and a Commercial Yachtmaster. After many years of dreaming, recently sold off his business since over 20 years. Left swedish waters in June 2009 and hasn't yet looked back ISABELLE, Born in Brittany/France & First Mate. [...]
Extra:
During 2008 we cruised during two and a half months in the Baltic Sea as covered in the older posts on this blog together with Magnus's 2007 cruise to 66 degrees North in the Baltic Sea. During this spring of 2009 we completed an extensive exterior refit of Röde Orm, and untied the docking [...]
Home Page: www.sailblogs.com/member/rodeorm

Who: Magnus & Isabelle
Port: Falsterbo -Sweden