The Voyage of 'S/V Röde Orm' - Sweden

Come on board and take part in our adventures while exploring the world at the slow pace of a sailing boat. We left in June 2009, heading south to escape the northern winter... to start with. Currently in Algarve/Portugal taking it one day at a time.

13 September 2010
11 September 2010 | Nantes, Bretagne-France
07 September 2010 | Bretagne (or Normandie?)
02 September 2010 | still the same...
31 August 2010 | Rezè- Bretagne (boat in Rio Guadiana)
09 August 2010 | Rezé//Bretagne//France
18 July 2010 | Clisson/La Sèvre
15 July 2010 | Nantes/ Brittany
14 July 2010 | Nantes/Bretagne/France
25 June 2010 | Gamleby- Sweden
05 June 2010 | Mértola// Minas San Domingo
27 May 2010 | Alcoutim
24 May 2010 | of the River
21 May 2010 | Alcoutim/Sanlucar
21 May 2010 | Alcoutim/Sanlucar
16 May 2010 | Alcoutim
10 May 2010 | Alcoutim/Sanlucar
30 April 2010 | Alcoutim-PT// Sanlucar- ES
24 April 2010 | Ayamonte - Andalucia - Spain

A Curse?

07 January 2010 | Alvor- Portugal
Hardly, but it seems like our 'sprayhood business' i. e. the original reason for us to go to Portimao/Alvor could be suffering from less than likely mishaps.

Firstly, as told in a previous post, we waited for sailmaker # 1, let's call him Mike, to come back from a trip to the UK, to make us a sprayhood. When he came back here he suddenly raised his price with some 70% from his own estimate! Of course I 'shoved him overboard' (not literally though, I am still a civilized Viking). Then sailmaker # 2, let's call him Jerry, comes onboard giving a decent qoute together with some good ideas on how to make a 'smarter' hood. So we made a deal. He says he needs 3 weeks to do it. That's four weeks now, almost five.... he's blaiming bad weather, which undeniably has some truth to it, but then, yesterday, he delivers the real blow. He had an accident, running, and ruptured two thirds of his achilles tendon. Flying back to.... guess where? ....-the UK- to undergo surgery and a recovery period of 3 weeks.

I know enough about those kind of injuries to say that it will take at least 8-10 weeks before he will be able to walk and function normally, so it seems like we will hang around here for quite a while longer.


Shit happens, and everything that happens to you in life does so for a purpose, according to my beliefs.

As long as the weather is as rough as it is at present, this is probably the best anchorage in the Algarve, so we're safe and sound. The alternative would be to sit in a marina but that is not only expensive, but also deadly boring. Here at anchor, we see the horizon, we see the fishermen leave and return and it's all in all a lot more lively and interesting than in a marina. This time of the year, the marinas are mostly occupied by boats left there, while the owners have returned to their country of origen. This means the UK for about 70% of all boats around here.

If and when the weather gets 'normal' for this part of the world, we can do the 35 miles to Faro/Olhao/Culatra and then in due time for the sprayhood affair to be closed we can come back.

We also have our neew friends and neighbours here in 'Le Village' to keep us company. Jaques, the Belgian, has a car, and was nice enough to let us have a ride with him to the supermarket in Portimao a few dys ago to provision.

I am helping him with some computer-related issues in return so it's like everyday life in a quiet suburb more or less. Not at all bad.
Comments
Vessel Name: Röde Orm
Vessel Make/Model: Laurin 32 ketch built in 1965
Hailing Port: Falsterbo -Sweden
Crew: Magnus & Isabelle
About:
MAGNUS, Swedish skipper. Navigation teacher and a Commercial Yachtmaster. After many years of dreaming, recently sold off his business since over 20 years. Left swedish waters in June 2009 and hasn't yet looked back ISABELLE, Born in Brittany/France & First Mate. [...]
Extra:
During 2008 we cruised during two and a half months in the Baltic Sea as covered in the older posts on this blog together with Magnus's 2007 cruise to 66 degrees North in the Baltic Sea. During this spring of 2009 we completed an extensive exterior refit of Röde Orm, and untied the docking [...]
Home Page: www.sailblogs.com/member/rodeorm

Who: Magnus & Isabelle
Port: Falsterbo -Sweden