The Voyage of 'S/V Röde Orm' - Sweden

Come on board and take part in our adventures while exploring the world at the slow pace of a sailing boat. We left in June 2009, heading south to escape the northern winter... to start with. Currently in Algarve/Portugal taking it one day at a time.

13 September 2010
11 September 2010 | Nantes, Bretagne-France
07 September 2010 | Bretagne (or Normandie?)
02 September 2010 | still the same...
31 August 2010 | Rezè- Bretagne (boat in Rio Guadiana)
09 August 2010 | Rezé//Bretagne//France
18 July 2010 | Clisson/La Sèvre
15 July 2010 | Nantes/ Brittany
14 July 2010 | Nantes/Bretagne/France
25 June 2010 | Gamleby- Sweden
05 June 2010 | Mértola// Minas San Domingo
27 May 2010 | Alcoutim
24 May 2010 | of the River
21 May 2010 | Alcoutim/Sanlucar
21 May 2010 | Alcoutim/Sanlucar
16 May 2010 | Alcoutim
10 May 2010 | Alcoutim/Sanlucar
30 April 2010 | Alcoutim-PT// Sanlucar- ES
24 April 2010 | Ayamonte - Andalucia - Spain

Exhilirating beam reach

01 August 2008 | at anchor...
SW 16-20 knots. I woke up already at 6 and foiund the wifi to be more stable. Uploaded pictures and sent a few e-mails. We left Ruhno around 10AM.

CaptainClumsy had quite a performance when we motored out of the harbour. R�de Orm is a full-keeled heavy displacement vessel. This has quite a few advangtges, but at least one disadvantage. Her turniing radius is about the same as a small tanker. This feature makes manoevering in tight quarters, erh...interesting to say the least.

I misjudged her ability to turn around the head of the jetty considering the wind direction, and ended up in close contact with the bottom right at the breakwater. Since the wind pushed the boat onto the shoaal, it wasn�t possible to get out even in reverse gear. However, a swedish couple in a Bruce Roberts 53, noticed our predicament and helped us with a long line. They could get us out of trouble with their huge genua winch, and soon enough we were underway.

Thank you - 'Joyride' hope to be able to give you a hand if needed sometime.

The original plan was to go 45 degrees to the tiny island of Kihnu (Kin�) but this gave us an unnerving oint of sail, with flogging headsail in the choppy seas that build tremendously fast on these shallow waters. Mostly between 10-30 meters deep.

We decided to head north instead, to the next largest of the Estonian islands; Hiiumaa or Dag� in Swedish, and then north across the Bay of Finland to the archipelago around Hanko (Hang�).

The wind veered soon enough to West, and increased rapidly. The mizzen came down, then a reef too. we were still making 6,5 knots most of the time and this was actually superb sailing. I e as soon as we got used to teh seas. In 25-30 knots of wind, they grew rapidly and started t break. Not higher than 1,5 meters but short and VERY steep. This was, as a new experince even for me with many years of sailing in the Baltic Sea. R�de Orm rode the waves very nice as always, soft in her mottion even under these quite extreme circumstances.

When the wind decreased in the evening we anchored in 6 m depth in the shelter of a tiny island a couple of South of Muhu, with it's busy road ferries between the mainland (Virtsu port) and Muhu (Kuivastu port)
Comments
Vessel Name: Röde Orm
Vessel Make/Model: Laurin 32 ketch built in 1965
Hailing Port: Falsterbo -Sweden
Crew: Magnus & Isabelle
About:
MAGNUS, Swedish skipper. Navigation teacher and a Commercial Yachtmaster. After many years of dreaming, recently sold off his business since over 20 years. Left swedish waters in June 2009 and hasn't yet looked back ISABELLE, Born in Brittany/France & First Mate. [...]
Extra:
During 2008 we cruised during two and a half months in the Baltic Sea as covered in the older posts on this blog together with Magnus's 2007 cruise to 66 degrees North in the Baltic Sea. During this spring of 2009 we completed an extensive exterior refit of Röde Orm, and untied the docking [...]
Home Page: www.sailblogs.com/member/rodeorm

Who: Magnus & Isabelle
Port: Falsterbo -Sweden