with a heatgun is easy and it even smells good according to Magnus. Isabelle does have a different opinion on the smell part though.
Today we did the back of the nice teak lids for the cockpit lockers. The varnish was peeling off partially and will be replaced by Isa's favourite . Cetol.
Looks a lot better and will certainly protect the wood too.
...of the mast. A wonderful, sunny and calm morning 'told' me to climb the mast to inspect the upper part of the standing rigging. I also changed a halyard (teh red Dyneema line close to my right hand at the picture) and added a topping lift. Despite my life-long aversion to heights I did actually enjoy the view from the masthead too.
More glassing and sanding kept us both busy most of the day.
Arnold, the mechanic dropped by in the morning. I ordered a new muffler from him and after he reaasembled the shaft coupling and about half an hour of tinkering with the alignment he concluded that his Estonian 'colleagues' had far from succeeded with this part of the insaatallation either....
Next check-up will be when we have the boat on the hard in a week or a little more than a week. Before further efforts are made to align the engine to the shaft, he wants to see the shaft position through the cutlass bearing and the stern tube.
Well, what can I say, it's simply too much.
as does the sunny weather. Today it's really chilly though, just at the level where it's barely possible to work with polyester and epoxi.
Well, Isabelle is still busy with applying the finl coats of Cetoil to the teak trim on deck and I continue with the new deck hatch and with glassing to holes in the cabin top where there used to be a vent and a log/speedometer. Yes, together with some small projects, like moving the boat across the marina without engine but with the help from friends in their dinghy, thanks Jonas and Filip.
The slip we had during all the winter 'belongs' to someone else over the summer season, so we swapped just across the inner basin of the port here. Quite nice with a change of view, if nothing else...
...for instance. When we'll get to those warm and nice places, ventilation below deck is going to be SO important. Found a hatch, new in the box on an internet site that was perfect in size to fit between our life raft and the sliding hatch. Right on top of the dinner table in the saloon.
So, first tape a cover below where I will attack the deck with the jigsaw. Then I took the old seized vent out gently with a cow bar ;-) OK, so basically we'll just need to enlarge that hole and install the hatch, easy no?
Well, not at all complicated but it takes a while nevertheless. The jigsawin part took very little time. Say 10 minutes after connecting the power tool to the power cord. Then I sanded all the old paint and gelcoat off around the hole. Since the deck has a slight curvature, We'll need to make a levelled bed for the hatch to rest on- We do this with epoxi and fibreglass. But first- since the deck is cored, we grind the core out approx. half an inch around the hole. After the bed has hardened to the touch I mix a batch of epoxi putty and spread it in the gap between the inner ond outer laminate. Then tomorrow ot's gonna be time to fit tha hatch, embed it in Sikaflex and fasten it with eight screws. Voilá job completed.
Yesterday the Engine story continued. The local mechanic came over to inspect the whole installation and make it properly. First of all he installed a vacuum valve on the exhaust system. This little item protects the engine from being filled with seawater through teh exhaust by syphoning. This horrifying phenomena can appear since the engine is installed under teh waterline.
It's SO discouraging that despite the fact that I strongly argumented for this valve, the so called 'professionals' in Estonia just shrugged and never installed it.
Back to present time again. We know by now that we've had water entering teh cylinders this way and I have made 4 (!) oil changes in a day to 'rinse' all the water out of the interior of the engine.
The mechanic dissamsembled the coupling (that connects the propeller shaft and the gearbox at the rear end of the engine. Upon his inspection it turned out that the coupling had 2 recesses whilst it's counterpart on the engine only had one. This means they couldn't fit!
And worst of all! The guys in Estonia just had to be aware of this fact, and still they tightened the bolts halfway and wished us a merry trip home!!!!!
Aaarrrrrggghh! The captain of Röde Orm was very close to take to his ancestors customs here and start a raid to the East to maraude those villains homes and towns. A few minutes later, I calmed down, and was at least content to se a solution coming closer.
The viking revenge - if any- will have to be through court in that case I guess.
Anyway, the diesel mechanic took the coupling with him to machine it in his shop to the right dimensions. Meanwhile, after gave me a tip, I dissasembled the muffler to take a closer look at it. The stainless steel cylinder had a couple of pinholes developing and they burst when I tested them with the corner of a screw driver. Honestly the rubber part seemed due for change as well, so the project continues on Monday when this experienced mechanic will return
and a new hole in the boat. this photo is of what's left from where the old log were installe in the cockpit. since it is not working anymore and won't get replaced either, the whole will be reglassed today and tomorrow. Three water- tight plugs for each of our solar panels will be installed here instead.