Isabelle finished sanding the tosides today. She has been so persistent and made a lot better job tha my (lack of?) patience would have allowed me to.
Meanwhile, I sanded the hull below the waterline. To top it off, in the afternoon I sealed the sanded steel keel with the first coat of epoxy based barrier coat.
After that and as you can see on the pic, I:
1. look like I've been working in a coalmine, and
2. am so amused by this monotonous work...
Anyways, the day was ended with a sauna in the club house (basically the only way for me to get clean again - by sweating it out- and then dinner on board. Needless to say, we fell asleep quite early and slept iike two logs
We want to give our beloved boat a face-lift. I guess we spent effectively 4-5 days sanding the deck, then filling the holes, dents and scratches with polyester putty and sand it again. Repeat this process a couple times and we do now think that the deck is ready for a wash with acetone and then a new paint.
That's about what we have done today too, but now it wqs the topsides that needed sanding to ber ready for new, bright red paint. The old one i s really oxidated. On the pic you can see hwhat it looks like, before and after sanding
Big event for us. Tonight we had to climb a ladder to get to the boat, instead of stepping down to it at the dock.
When you own a boat, and especially when that boat is also your home, it's always a certain degree of excitement involved when it's time to launch or going up on land.
All went well, and we are enjoying the opportunity to use a sturdy trailer to let the boat sit on for the next few weeks while we'll work on it.
The bottom looked fine, with just a little bit of growth. Barnacles and some slime consisting of algae. Not bad at all considering that it's three years ago since I launched Röde Orm. I guess that my regular diving and scraping exercise has been a vital factor here.
One bad surprise was that the propeller was damaged. Apparently it had gotten entangled in some fishing gear or similar at some point, and one of the blades had a part missing, a little bit bigger than my thumb nail.
So, added to all the costly repairs and refits to the engine, a new prop is now also on the list. At least we can take the opportunity to get one with an appropriate pitch. The old prop never quite let the engine reach it's maximum RPMs- This equals running your car uphill constantly. engines donä't like that, simply put.
with a heatgun is easy and it even smells good according to Magnus. Isabelle does have a different opinion on the smell part though.
Today we did the back of the nice teak lids for the cockpit lockers. The varnish was peeling off partially and will be replaced by Isa's favourite . Cetol.
Looks a lot better and will certainly protect the wood too.
...of the mast. A wonderful, sunny and calm morning 'told' me to climb the mast to inspect the upper part of the standing rigging. I also changed a halyard (teh red Dyneema line close to my right hand at the picture) and added a topping lift. Despite my life-long aversion to heights I did actually enjoy the view from the masthead too.
More glassing and sanding kept us both busy most of the day.
Arnold, the mechanic dropped by in the morning. I ordered a new muffler from him and after he reaasembled the shaft coupling and about half an hour of tinkering with the alignment he concluded that his Estonian 'colleagues' had far from succeeded with this part of the insaatallation either....
Next check-up will be when we have the boat on the hard in a week or a little more than a week. Before further efforts are made to align the engine to the shaft, he wants to see the shaft position through the cutlass bearing and the stern tube.
Well, what can I say, it's simply too much.