Bookmark and Share
The Voyage of 'S/V Röde Orm' - Sweden
Come on board and take part in our adventures while exploring the world at the slow pace of a sailing boat. We left in June 2009, heading south to escape the northern winter... to start with. Currently in Algarve/Portugal taking it one day at a time.
More work with putty on the hull

but after a light sanding tomorrow, it will be ready for paint. Today we taped everything on deck that's not supposed to be painted...

Soon the paintwork can begin

The prop is damaged, as I think I-ve mentioned already, They ewird thinbg about it is that I never noticed when it happened

Finally done with the hard and dirty work

Isabelle finished sanding the tosides today. She has been so persistent and made a lot better job tha my (lack of?) patience would have allowed me to.

Meanwhile, I sanded the hull below the waterline. To top it off, in the afternoon I sealed the sanded steel keel with the first coat of epoxy based barrier coat.

After that and as you can see on the pic, I:
1. look like I've been working in a coalmine, and
2. am so amused by this monotonous work...

Anyways, the day was ended with a sauna in the club house (basically the only way for me to get clean again - by sweating it out- and then dinner on board. Needless to say, we fell asleep quite early and slept iike two logs

sanding, followed by more sanding

We want to give our beloved boat a face-lift. I guess we spent effectively 4-5 days sanding the deck, then filling the holes, dents and scratches with polyester putty and sand it again. Repeat this process a couple times and we do now think that the deck is ready for a wash with acetone and then a new paint.

That's about what we have done today too, but now it wqs the topsides that needed sanding to ber ready for new, bright red paint. The old one i s really oxidated. On the pic you can see hwhat it looks like, before and after sanding

On the Hard

Big event for us. Tonight we had to climb a ladder to get to the boat, instead of stepping down to it at the dock.

When you own a boat, and especially when that boat is also your home, it's always a certain degree of excitement involved when it's time to launch or going up on land.

All went well, and we are enjoying the opportunity to use a sturdy trailer to let the boat sit on for the next few weeks while we'll work on it.

The bottom looked fine, with just a little bit of growth. Barnacles and some slime consisting of algae. Not bad at all considering that it's three years ago since I launched Röde Orm. I guess that my regular diving and scraping exercise has been a vital factor here.

One bad surprise was that the propeller was damaged. Apparently it had gotten entangled in some fishing gear or similar at some point, and one of the blades had a part missing, a little bit bigger than my thumb nail.

So, added to all the costly repairs and refits to the engine, a new prop is now also on the list. At least we can take the opportunity to get one with an appropriate pitch. The old prop never quite let the engine reach it's maximum RPMs- This equals running your car uphill constantly. engines donä't like that, simply put.

Newer ]  |  [ Older ]


Who: Magnus & Isabelle
Port: Falsterbo -Sweden
View Complete Profile »

Powered by SailBlogs