Bookmark and Share
The Voyage of 'S/V Röde Orm' - Sweden
Come on board and take part in our adventures while exploring the world at the slow pace of a sailing boat. We left in June 2009, heading south to escape the northern winter... to start with. Currently in Algarve/Portugal taking it one day at a time.
At last, the paintjob itself is started

Well, believe it or not, but I was actually sanding for most of the day. Also busy glassing the two holes in the hull underneath the v-berth were the two GIANT and heavy (approx. 6 kg each!) bronze sensors for the good'ole 'Brooks & Gatehouse' log were installed. After 44 years of hard work, these units with inbuilt seacocks (see the picture) is now discarded since the electromechanical (?) instrument with it's 'speedometer' stopped working shortly after I aquired Röde Orm. Despite my trouble-shooting and disassembling of this unit it still refused to function. Thus I now refused to keep it onboard, hereby releasing the possible free storage weight of approximately 14 kg.

I could find other things of the equivalent weght that could add satisfactory to the well-being of the crew. Like b-e-e-r for example :-D

Meanwhile Isabelle started to roll the first coat of two part primer on deck. Needless to say, the only rain in almost a month came within an hour after she was done.

After Work

It's important to relax a while after dinner. We 've been busy with this project now from early morning to 7- 7.30 PM

More work with putty on the hull

but after a light sanding tomorrow, it will be ready for paint. Today we taped everything on deck that's not supposed to be painted...

Soon the paintwork can begin

The prop is damaged, as I think I-ve mentioned already, They ewird thinbg about it is that I never noticed when it happened

Finally done with the hard and dirty work

Isabelle finished sanding the tosides today. She has been so persistent and made a lot better job tha my (lack of?) patience would have allowed me to.

Meanwhile, I sanded the hull below the waterline. To top it off, in the afternoon I sealed the sanded steel keel with the first coat of epoxy based barrier coat.

After that and as you can see on the pic, I:
1. look like I've been working in a coalmine, and
2. am so amused by this monotonous work...

Anyways, the day was ended with a sauna in the club house (basically the only way for me to get clean again - by sweating it out- and then dinner on board. Needless to say, we fell asleep quite early and slept iike two logs

Newer ]  |  [ Older ]


Who: Magnus & Isabelle
Port: Falsterbo -Sweden
View Complete Profile »

Powered by SailBlogs