Bookmark and Share
The Voyage of 'S/V Röde Orm' - Sweden
Come on board and take part in our adventures while exploring the world at the slow pace of a sailing boat. We left in June 2009, heading south to escape the northern winter... to start with. Currently in Algarve/Portugal taking it one day at a time.
End of the dry and warm weather

Rain showers and winds around 20-30 knots for the rest of this week is forecasted.

We made a 'test' paint on parts of the deck wth the 2-part polyurethane primer, but there won't be much more done to the painting for the next few days...

No worries, there are a'few' other bits and pieces to tinker with in the meantime.

Röde Orm is fitted with stainless steel through-hulls as you can see in this picture.

You can also see that a previos owner has been cutting out a section of the outer skin of the hull around the through hulls, and reglassed those sections to solid glass. Very good, and probaly a main reason for this 44 year old cored hull to stil be VERY dry and in a very good condition.

This is really good news for us, since it's been nagging on my mid for a while. I consider the issue with the cored hull as the only weak spot with these boats. Extremely strong as they are.

At last, the paintjob itself is started

Well, believe it or not, but I was actually sanding for most of the day. Also busy glassing the two holes in the hull underneath the v-berth were the two GIANT and heavy (approx. 6 kg each!) bronze sensors for the good'ole 'Brooks & Gatehouse' log were installed. After 44 years of hard work, these units with inbuilt seacocks (see the picture) is now discarded since the electromechanical (?) instrument with it's 'speedometer' stopped working shortly after I aquired Röde Orm. Despite my trouble-shooting and disassembling of this unit it still refused to function. Thus I now refused to keep it onboard, hereby releasing the possible free storage weight of approximately 14 kg.

I could find other things of the equivalent weght that could add satisfactory to the well-being of the crew. Like b-e-e-r for example :-D

Meanwhile Isabelle started to roll the first coat of two part primer on deck. Needless to say, the only rain in almost a month came within an hour after she was done.

After Work

It's important to relax a while after dinner. We 've been busy with this project now from early morning to 7- 7.30 PM

More work with putty on the hull

but after a light sanding tomorrow, it will be ready for paint. Today we taped everything on deck that's not supposed to be painted...

Soon the paintwork can begin

The prop is damaged, as I think I-ve mentioned already, They ewird thinbg about it is that I never noticed when it happened

Newer ]  |  [ Older ]


Who: Magnus & Isabelle
Port: Falsterbo -Sweden
View Complete Profile »

Powered by SailBlogs