Bookmark and Share
The Voyage of 'S/V Röde Orm' - Sweden
Come on board and take part in our adventures while exploring the world at the slow pace of a sailing boat. We left in June 2009, heading south to escape the northern winter... to start with. Currently in Algarve/Portugal taking it one day at a time.
Busy boatwork

sanding, painting, and then wet-sanding and painting again.

It takes more time and effort than a born optimist like myself realize beforehand.

2 coats of primer, and then 2 coats of the 2-part PU paint everywhere in the cockpit, on deck and the cabintop. Coloor: Off-white

3 coats of 2-part PU paint on the topsides. Colour bright red (or as we would label it- Röde Orm red) Then antiskid paint light grey 2 coats on the areas of the deck where we put out feet. Then 2 coats of good antifouling under the waterline. Pheew! regarding the waterline, we've risen it almost a decimeter, not because the the boat wasn't floating on it, but from strictly practical reasons. With a higher waterline, we will be able to polish the topsides on a calm day at anchor. A great benefit 'out there'.

This picture shows Isabelle prepping the cockpit for the final two coats...

Sunny weather is back

and the mets says it will last for most of next week at least. Thats splendid news, and we should be able to finish the paintjob during that time...

Most of thsi day was spent wetsanding all the deck and the cockpit between the 2 coats of primer and the 2-part polyurethane paint that wil finish it off. After washing it with a hose, I also painted the keel with the second coat of epoxi primer. After several turns of putty/sanding/putty etcetera.

Since this is my birthday, we celebrated at the same restaurant where we had our first meal together in Sweden after Isabelle first arrived here almost a year and a half ago.

Very nice when your entire body is aching from all this monotonous work.

And more SANDING!

Two coats of primer now painted on the deck and in the cockpit. It's just unbelievable how many details there is that need to be taped and avoided to paint, or small areas, very hard to get at while sanding or painting.

We're on our third week of boat renovation now.... feels like nothing much happens, since the preparations don't show much. Yet, they make up for at least 80% of the total man hours spent on thi kind of job.

At thsi point it starts to show (for us at least) that the end result will be pretty good.

Picture shows me at the masthead during a change of a couple of halyards. I know the pic is at least a week old, but we didn't take any new ones today, and I look sooo cool up there, eh?? ;-) just kidding


Fast but faulty was my motto today...

Used the power drill to enlarge the hole in the hull where the transducer cable for the depth sounder should be. Forgot to empty the storage under the SB cabin bunk firtst though. The result is seen in the picture.

We had a sallad with sardines in tomato sauce for lunch!! *LOL*

Glassed hole in the bottom

...where those massive bronze log sensors were. Next step is one or two sessions with epoxy putty-then sanding and then some more putty

Grey, cold and some rain showers today, so nothing much done on the boat otherwise.

Newer ]  |  [ Older ]


Who: Magnus & Isabelle
Port: Falsterbo -Sweden
View Complete Profile »

Powered by SailBlogs