Yes, we did row ashore yesterday, and walked around the town for a couple of hours in search of an nternet café (since there were no signals strong enough for the Wifi antenna to provide a reliable connection) we had a two km walk to town. A very nice town, beatifullu situated at a rocky little peninsula. Just the fact that we found it to be beautiful despite that it was drizzling all day long goes to tell you somethiing doesn't it?
We couldn't find any wifi, and only after asking around, did we manage to find a small supermarket to get provsions for the next few days. We also got a recent weather forecast at the 'capitenerie' so all is fine.
BTW, regarding forecasts in France, we usually manage to hear one at 7.40 AM on the VHF and another at 11.40, but then nothong more for the rest of teh day. One of life's unsolved mysteries...
Since we are now about to become truly experienced in sailing the tides (with some help from Reed's Nautical Almanac and a Scottish couple we met on Guernsey) we are now to enjoy coast-hopping the 'local' way.
This means to leave port with the tide, go on to the next port/anchorage which should be reached before the tide turns i e 5-6 hours later. Doing so, one can make a 40-45 miles passage in 5 hours. The tidal streams along the coast are anything from 2-5 knots. Needless to say, going against it doesn't make much sence as we noticed outside Cherbourg.
This morning we left with the tide, and the local sailors who went out a couple of hours and then turned back to port again, for the next stop at Primel-Tregastel. A small port with no facilities for guesting yachts. As many of these small, nice villages though, they had a number of 'visistor's bouys' where one can tie up for the night free of charge. We reckon they did this to keep 'guests' away from the wharf, where the local fishermen's vessels lie alongside and from the oyster beds aswell.
Since one low pressure system after another are passing this part of the world, we had to do something. For two weeks in a row we had nothng but SW and W winds, i e right on our nose.
This weather has caused floodings with people becoming homeless and even a few casualties in Central Europe (Slovakia, Austria and Germany). In Sweden too, all the raining has caused floodings, as in the UK.
No reason for us to feel sorry for ourselves, for these persistent headwinds and a few rainshowers.
Anyhow, today the forecast was SSW backing to S and then decreasing and backing further to SE, before increasng again tomorrow and veering to SW (what else?)
Although we've had a great time here in the UK and Guernsey, we are getting a bit itchy now and would like to go to S Brittany ASAP.
Thus we made the 60 miles 'jump' to Perros-Guirrec on the 'Côtes d'Armor' in N Brittany ( pos. N 48,48 W 02,26). A bay, outside the town, well shelterd from anything 'without a North in it' with five visitor's bouys.
The wind turned out to be weaker than predicted and SW (!) most of the day so we motorsailed all day except two hours.
Interesting for me, since I never tend to motor any significant distances otherwise, but here in the Channel, it seems from the local sailors we have been talking to, that anything except strong headwind is considered a good weather window !! Thus we motored the equivalent distance as from Västervik on the Swedish mainland to Visby on Gotland. The latter being something I would never even consider doing...
Well, one's mindset change, for the good and the bad, Man is an extremely adaptive species...
As a maybe discouraging aside, we have now covered 950 miles since we left Falsterbo in Sweden and even though I hate to admit it, we've been motoring most part of those miles. The only REALLY nice sailing thus far, was that first night from river Elbe and out on the North Sea. We are in good hope for that to change soon enough though. (after successfully made it through the 'Raz de Sein' to Isabelle's 'homeland' S Brittany.
We tied up to the bouy at 7PM and fell a sleep immediately after dinner. We were up already at 5AM this morning to leave St Peters Port on the high tide.
more to follow, we hope to be able to row ashore tomorrow...
At the picture you cn see Isbelle happily (?) hoisting the French courtesy flag
The lows keep sweeping by, one after another. Westerlies to Sou'westerlies day after day makes us stayig put.
Far from imprisonment though. We are still enjoying everyt moment of it.
During the weekend we'll explore a bit further. Today we spent a few hours in the Castle Cornet with its old Garrison and the associated museums, and there are a set of new pictures which you can access simply by pressing the button on the top right of this page, named: 'Photo Gallery'
Tomorrow, weather permiting, we'll make a bus trip around the island with a few stops.
Victor Hugo, the famous French author, lived here in St Peter Port during some 15 years in the late 1800's in exile. The house he lived in is a museum, which we will have a closer lokk at too.
Cheers from this lovely island!
Nothiing much to tell ya.
Mostly sunny weather, and we'e basically just enjoying like people on vacation. Walking in the town, buying crab or fresh fish at the Mongers, socailising a bit with other sailors in the marina.
Admittingly we really like this place, that we almost 'by mistake' ended up in. That's the beauty of cruising without an agenda.
Also, sicne the Island is free from VAT, the local Chandler has had a couple of visits from us.
Off course the proverbial 'Cruising is doing boat maintenance in exotic places' to some extent has to affect even us ;-)
I have change two burners on the 'state of the art' Taylor kerosene/paraffin stove onboard, and we'll have to climb the masthead to reinstall one out of two jib halyards that in some mysterious way was lying on the deck one morning in the North Sea.
No big deal.
we DO keep a thorough look at the Met forecast twice a day. As soon as we get favourble and light wind we will go on. Next 'target' is l'Aber Wrach in Northern Brittany, a supposedly lovely and sheltered spot in a river mouth and an excellent palce for the next leap to the Chenal du four between the mainland and Ile d'Oessant
Honestly, we had a miserable night at anchor. Tidal stream combined with quite a bit of wind, swells and wakes from the ferries all together made it very difficult to sleep. And we have been at a few choppy anchorages before, believe me.
Because of that, we spent almost all the morning in bed, trying to catch up on sleep.
We still have some small jobs to do on the boat and the SW winds seem likely to persist a few days more, so we figured it would be best to enter the marina, then I could do some work too, with a fast and reliable internet connection.
There is no VAT on Guernsey, so we would like to check the local chandlers price level. Among other things, a PLB (emergency transmitter) could be something to consider.
Mostly sunny weather today, and when we entered the marina the Harbour Control told us some 140 racing sailboats going from port to port in the Channel were expected to arrive tonight. Thus he wanted all of the rest of us inside the marina and the racing crews on the visitor's pontoons, where they could party half the night without disturbing anyone.
Since we arrived the marina at lo tide at 3PM we had to wait at the pontoon until at least 8PM when they started to direct all of us into the slips of the marina. The Basin inside the marina has a sill, that protects it from drying out completely at low tide.
On today's pic you can see the Castle Cornet in he sunshine, compared to yesterday(which I happened to call 'the Fort' in my ignorence yesterday) One of the main attractions, with several museums including one maritime museum. We are looking forward to visit it one of the following days...