Cruising the South (and North) Pacific

28 May 2014 | ChiChi Jima to Honolulu
24 May 2014 | ChiChi Jima to Honolulu
22 May 2014 | ChiChi Jima to Honolulu
20 May 2014 | ChiChi Jima to Honolulu
19 May 2014 | ChiChi Jima to Honolulu
15 May 2014 | ChiChi Jima to Honolulu
12 May 2014 | The middle of the North Pacific
09 May 2014 | ChiChi Jima
06 May 2014 | ChiChi Jima
04 May 2014 | ChiChi Jima
02 May 2014 | ChiChi Jima
25 April 2014 | ChiChi Jima
07 April 2014 | ChiChi Jima
03 April 2014 | ChiChi Jima
27 March 2014 | ChiChi Jima
21 March 2014 | Chichi Jima, Japan
17 March 2014 | Chichi Jima, Japan
13 February 2014
11 February 2014
06 February 2014 | Dejima/Sakai/Osaka to Honolulu

Amazing place

07 April 2014 | ChiChi Jima
Rob
I've been here almost two months now, I've hiked every trail I can find and photographed most everything. Today, I hiked back up the Tsunami trail behind Monde's house to the Nagasaki lookout over Nagasaki Cape, and then on up the road to the trail up Asahiyama Mtn to the peak. Incredibly beautiful views of many neighboring islands ,channels, bays,etc. While walking, I couldn't help but think about all the things I like about Japan, and ChiChi Jima in particular-this place is the nicest,cleanest , best maintained island I have ever visited.. The roads are perfect, with huge walls , tunnels, guard rails, fences protect the cars from falling rocks, and no litter anywhere. The hiking trails are equally well maintained , and the public bathrooms are so clean and neat and never run out of toilet paper. It's not Charmin, but it works. People ride bicycles and motor scooters, and the cars are all small and fuel efficient. The children are sweet and beautiful. I met a class of 9 yr olds on the trail one day. One of the girls stopped and asked me if I was having a nice day in English. She gave me the biggest smile. Very cool !. I was dumbfounded. I think the average age here must be about 6 yrs old. My favorite thing though is the Japanese toilet. The seats are heated, and they spray all sorts of things depending on which buttons you push. I have a Toto toilet in my house on Maui, but it doesn't do half of the things these toilets can do. On the down side, the cost of living is quite high. Gas and diesel are crazy expensive explaining the fuel efficient vehicles people drive. Soon the sales tax is going up from 5 to 8 % to help with the huge Gov't budget. They have this goofy system like our military where if you don't spend all your allotted budget, you will lose it the next year. Therefore they do things like tearing up a perfectly good road and rebuilding it. I suppose that also keeps everyone employed and off welfare. The local people are aware of this too, but they just shrug their shoulders and say- oh well. Maybe the new taxes will bring down Japan's debt to GDP ratio. I think if our governments raised the sales tax all over by that much, there would be rioting in the streets. Last night we had a feast at Monde's house. I cooked 20 parmesan pork chops and 4 monster chicken breasts. They made noodles with roe, noodles with sausage, strips of squid that Tsu caught , and salad. It was wonderful- Then I bored them to death with slide shows of New Zealand and videos of the dances and ceremonies and volcanoes of Vanuatu. Still waiting on parts for the boat, hope to leave here in about two weeks.
Comments
Vessel Name: Compass Rose
Vessel Make/Model: Hunter 420 Passage
Hailing Port: Lahaina, Hawaii
Crew: Robert & LuAnne Yapp
About:
We left Maui in April 2010 with LuAnne's son Nick and his girlfriend Michelle. We stopped in Fanning Island, Penrhyn and Suvarov in the Northern Cooks, American Samoa, Tonga, and Fiji before spending the cyclone season in New Zealand. Michelle left in Tonga and Nick made it to New Zealand with us. [...]
Extra:
Compass Rose's Photos - Main
5 Photos
Created 21 March 2014
5 Photos
Created 23 October 2010
22 Photos
Created 16 October 2010
19 Photos
Created 19 August 2010
11 Photos
Created 12 July 2010
12 Photos
Created 9 July 2010
15 Photos
Created 8 July 2010
42 Photos
Created 7 July 2010