goin' roundabout

20 August 2017 | Vuda Point Marina, Fiji
03 July 2017 | Taveuni, Paradise Resort
13 June 2017 | Savusavu, Vanua Levu, Fiji
11 June 2017 | Southern Fiji - Beqa, Kandavu and Ono
04 October 2016 | Suva Harbour and Lami Bay
20 September 2016 | Falaga, Southen Lau, Fiji
10 September 2016 | Vanua Balavu, Northern Lau, Fiji
05 August 2016 | Vanua Levu, Fiji
03 July 2016 | Savusavu, Venua Levu, Fiji
15 June 2016 | Whangarei, New Zealand
29 May 2016
29 May 2016
29 May 2016
29 May 2016
29 May 2016
29 May 2016

Mazatlan to Puerto Vallarta

12 February 2013 | La Cruz de Huanacaxtle
Pam
Tempting as it was to stay in Mazatlan for the famous Carnival, we were keen to continue our jouney south. "Never start a voyage on a Friday" is the sailor's warning; however, this was the first weather window in some time, so we headed out for the overnight passage to Isla Isabella on Friday, Feb 1st. Friends waved goodbye to us from the point, as we squeaked past the dredge again. Ted didn't mention to me that the chartplotter was again doing its best rendition of a 1950's TV screen - ie. scrolling black lines to totally blank screen - until we were out of the harbour (hmm.. not an auspicious start). There didn't seem much point in going back to Mazatlan, however, as we knew that Raymarine's solution was to ship the unit to them in the USA. We just hoped the chartplotter would fix itself, as on the trip south from Ensenada. We hung out at Isla Venados (Deer Island) until mid-afternoon, so our timing would be right to arrive at Isla Isabella in the daylight. People had warned us that we would encounter a number of fishing lines in the area all down the coast and it is common for them to have little or no markings. The last thing we wanted was fishing line tied around our prop or rudder. With the later departure, we lucked out with winds up to 17kts and had a beautiful sail through the night under glorious stars and a nearly full moon. At dawn, just as we approached Isabella, the chartplotter became fully functional again (hurray!). Sea and bird life abounds here and we were treated to whales, turtles, frigate birds, pellicans and boobies as we neared the island. Many people have lost anchors here as the bottom is full of big lava boulders. We dropped anchor near Free Spirit, and hoped that we might hit a patch of sand; but when Ted dove on the anchor, both the anchor and trip line were hooked under a big boulder (... that Friday curse again?). Oh well, we would deal with it in the morning - now we needed to launch our kayaks and head to the island to visit the blue-footed boobies. As we paddled in, the air was filled with frigate birds, several types of boobies, gulls and pellicans. Every available perch had a bird of some type on it; and, as we approached the downwind side of the island, the smell of guano filled the air. We left the kayaks at a fishing camp and picked our way carefully through the long grass - the boobie nests with eggs can be anywhere and we looked pretty funny as we picked our way through the nesting area. It was fascinating watching the interactions of the birds, both in the air and on the ground. The wind was calm next morning, so we took the opportunity to try to retrieve our anchor. Luckily, knowing which direction we had to pull, after a couple of tugs the anchor released from under the rock (Yeah!). The morning was glorious, so we just floated on a flat sea and watched the whales put on a spectacular display all around us - breaching, lob tailing and generally enjoying themselves - while we ate breakfast on deck. Next stop was Matanchen Bay (near San Blas) - a lovely bay, but unfortunately a recent boarding incident has caused cruisers to be pretty wary and many are avoiding it altogether. Next day, we took an interesting boat trip up the Rio Tovara to see the bird life and crocodiles; and then a brief tour of the town of San Blas. San Blas was the base for Spanish fleet in the 1700's, so there is lots of history there. We were intrigued with the connection to Canada - the early Spanish exploration of the West Coast was made in boats built in San Blas (one painting showed Saturna Island with Mt Baker in the background!). Additionally, several Gulf islands bear the captains' names - Quadra, Galiano and Valdes. Our next stop was Chacala, a picturesque Mexican seaside town with little tourist development. Reunited with our friends on Traveller, Evergleam and Free Spirit, we spent a lazy few days there. Then on to our current location in La Cruz in Banderas Bay, which offers good restaurants, lots of live music, a nice marina and close proximity to Puerto Vallarta. We anchored out for 3 nights, but the big swells made sleeping pretty uncomfortable, so we moved into the Marina on Monday. Our plan is to do some land trips and shopping here and then head further south in about a week.
Comments
Vessel Name: ROUNDABOUT II
Vessel Make/Model: 1998 Moody 40 CC
Hailing Port: Okotoks, Alberta (registered as Edmonton)
Crew: Pam & Ted Simper
About:
The culmination of 30+ years of dreaming and planning, Ted and Pam headed south from Vancouver Island in August 2012. They fell in love with sailing in East Africa in the mid-70s, and have sailed the Gulf Islands and Caribbean for many years. [...]
Extra:
2014 saw us sail from Mexico to New Zealand via French Polynesia, Niue and Tonga. 2015 was spent back in Canada while Pam had knee surgery. We returned to New Zealand in Dec 2015 and toured New Zealand from Cape Reinga to Bluff by car. The 2016 cruising season was spent cruising Fiji and [...]
ROUNDABOUT II's Photos - Main
Cruising the west side of Fiji in 2017
72 Photos
Created 3 April 2018
A brief visit to Paradise Resort on Taveuni and a tour of the island
70 Photos
Created 5 July 2017
Farewell to New Zealand - the passage to Fiji - and a rescue!
52 Photos
Created 14 June 2017
85 Photos
Created 11 June 2017
Photos of Suva
20 Photos
Created 11 June 2017
We experience the real Fiji in Falaga (Falanga), Southern Lau, Fiji
97 Photos
Created 19 September 2016
Exploring the Plantation at Bavatu Bay on Vanua Balavu, Northern Lau, Fiji - Hiking, kayaking and snorkelling
68 Photos
Created 6 September 2016
The idyllic cruising life you can only dream about...Bay of Islands, Vanua Balavu, Northern Lau, Fiji
87 Photos
Created 30 August 2016
Exploring the bays of the east coast of Vanua Levu and Rabi Island
72 Photos
Created 9 August 2016
From Savusavu North to Labasa with side trip west, sightseeing around Labasa then trip around east end of Vanua Levu and back to Savusavu.
78 Photos
Created 5 July 2016
Savusavu on Vanua Levu, Fiji
37 Photos
Created 4 July 2016
A few final hikes before returning to Whangarei
14 Photos
Created 22 May 2016
Rafting and climbing through the Waitomo glowworm caves - great fun for "big kids"! (All photos courtesy of Blackwater Rafting Inc.)
36 Photos
Created 22 May 2016
A highlight of our trip to NZ - one of the top 10 day hikes in the world!
95 Photos
Created 22 May 2016
From Wellington up the west coast to Tongariro National Park
15 Photos
Created 22 May 2016
A brief visit to Wellington and a tour of the Weta Workshop
21 Photos
Created 22 May 2016
Final stop on our South Island Tour
26 Photos
Created 21 May 2016
Gorgeous Banks Peninsula
40 Photos
Created 20 May 2016
Christchurch - city with great spirit as it rebuilds after devastating earthquakes
61 Photos
Created 19 May 2016
Hiking in the spectacular Mt. Cook area
58 Photos
Created 15 May 2016
Travels in the land of the Lord of the Rings
40 Photos
Created 1 May 2016
One rainy day in Milford Sound
28 Photos
Created 1 May 2016
Hiking in Fiordlands
19 Photos
Created 1 May 2016
From Invercargill to Te Anau area
19 Photos
Created 28 April 2016
We find the "World's Fastest Indian" at the southern tip of New Zealand
18 Photos
Created 28 April 2016
The wild South Coast - a tour through the Catlins
22 Photos
Created 28 April 2016
City of Dunedin and the spectacular Otago Peninsula
59 Photos
Created 28 April 2016
Driving from Wanaka through to the East Coast
14 Photos
Created 28 April 2016
Hiking in Wanaka area
11 Photos
Created 28 April 2016
From the West Coast to Wanaka
14 Photos
Created 28 April 2016
Hikes into Franz Josef and Fox Glaciers
20 Photos
Created 24 April 2016
Driving the West Coast of the South Island. Oparara Caves and Pancake Rocks
21 Photos
Created 24 April 2016
Adventures around Cape Farewell
74 Photos
Created 8 March 2016
North Coast of South Island
33 Photos
Created 8 March 2016
49 Photos
Created 8 March 2016
Our great New Zealand Land Tour begins...
29 Photos
Created 8 March 2016
Whangarei and Northland area - Dec 2015 and Jan 2016
63 Photos
Created 25 February 2016
A week in paradise in Niue
114 Photos
Created 15 September 2014
Bora Bora
36 Photos
Created 29 August 2014
Tahaa, Society Islands
43 Photos
Created 28 August 2014
Raiatea, French Polynesia
49 Photos
Created 27 August 2014
Huahine, Society Islands
50 Photos
Created 26 August 2014
Tahiti
36 Photos
Created 5 August 2014
Tahiti-Moorea Rendezvous - what a party!
64 Photos
Created 14 July 2014
Touring Moorea
27 Photos
Created 14 July 2014
Photos from our adventures in Fakarava
80 Photos
Created 14 July 2014
Exploring Tahuata
18 Photos
Created 16 June 2014
Exploring Fatu Hiva
20 Photos
Created 16 June 2014
Exploring the island of Hiva Oa
35 Photos
Created 16 June 2014
Exploring Nuku Hiva in the Marquesas
30 Photos
Created 16 June 2014
Crossing the Pacific from Puerto Vallarta to the Marquesas
27 Photos
Created 16 June 2014
La Cruz activites and Jen and Meg's visits
64 Photos
Created 2 April 2014
New Year's 2014 and Boat Preparation
36 Photos
Created 2 April 2014
Christmas in La Paz (Dec 2013)
52 Photos
Created 15 January 2014
Sojourn in the Sea of Cortez (Dec 2013)
109 Photos
Created 15 January 2014
Visitors on the crossing of the Sea of Cortez from Mazatlan to La Paz (Nov 2013)
7 Photos
Created 15 January 2014
Trip to Copper Canyon in April 2013
106 Photos
Created 14 January 2014
Putting the boat away for the summer and Spring Equinox celebrations in Las Labradas
49 Photos
Created 22 December 2013
Our adventures in the La Cruz (Puerto Vallarta) area
108 Photos
Created 11 March 2013
Isla Isabella, Matanchen/San Blas, Chacala and La Cruz
87 Photos
Created 14 February 2013
Photos from month spent in Mazatlan
53 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 14 February 2013
Christmas in Mazatlan
63 Photos
Created 3 January 2013
From Cabo San Lucas to Los Frailes, La Paz, Espiritu Santo and Mazatlan
63 Photos
Created 2 January 2013
Arrival in Mexico!
42 Photos
Created 2 January 2013
Photos of San Diego
29 Photos
Created 2 January 2013
Sailing from San Francisco to San Diego via Monterey and Avalon, Santa Catalina Island
66 Photos
Created 12 November 2012
First leg of our adventure. August 2012
65 Photos
Created 20 September 2012
9 Photos
Created 28 August 2011
31 Photos
Created 28 August 2011
A tour of our boat and the additions we made to prepare her for offshore.
31 Photos
Created 28 August 2011

The Crew of Roundabout II

Who: Pam & Ted Simper
Port: Okotoks, Alberta (registered as Edmonton)
Our thanks to Delta Marine, Blanchard Rigging, Peninsula Boat Tops, Port Townsend Sails, and Taylor Metalcraft for their expert assistance in preparing and rigging the boat for offshore. Their help was much appreciated!