goin' roundabout

20 August 2017 | Vuda Point Marina, Fiji
03 July 2017 | Taveuni, Paradise Resort
13 June 2017 | Savusavu, Vanua Levu, Fiji
11 June 2017 | Southern Fiji - Beqa, Kandavu and Ono
04 October 2016 | Suva Harbour and Lami Bay
20 September 2016 | Falaga, Southen Lau, Fiji
10 September 2016 | Vanua Balavu, Northern Lau, Fiji
05 August 2016 | Vanua Levu, Fiji
03 July 2016 | Savusavu, Venua Levu, Fiji
15 June 2016 | Whangarei, New Zealand
29 May 2016
29 May 2016
29 May 2016
29 May 2016
29 May 2016
29 May 2016

Farewell to Fiji

20 August 2017 | Vuda Point Marina, Fiji
Pam
This will be our last visit to Fiji - a country and people we have grown to love. Our intention this season had been to spend a month (or at most six weeks) in Fiji and visit the west side, which we had not yet seen; then continue on to Vanuatu and New Caledonia. However, as I write this blog, it is now the middle of August and we arrived in early June!
In part, we have lingered in Fiji to spend time with cruising friends, many of whom we likely will not see again. Cruising friendships are different from at home; here they spring up quickly, with strong bonds formed through shared experiences. We have been fortunate to have met so many wonderful people on our voyage so far - some have been friends since Mexico, some belong to our "Class of 2014" Pacific Crossing and, of course, many others during our travels in New Zealand and Fiji. Many cruisers are on a schedule and once they have cruised for 2-5 years and/or reached New Zealand, IT IS DECISION TIME! Do they continue to sail the South Pacific circuit for a few more years, continue with a circumnavigation, make arrangements to sail or ship their boats back to North America/Europe OR sell their boats, closing the cruising chapter of their lives, and either return to their former lives or pursue other options? Age, health, jobs, aging parents, children, grandchildren all play a role in this decision. As a result, our circle of cruising friends is splitting apart this year, with people choosing from all the above options.
We finally left Savusavu on July 8th, as Ted had a dental appointment in Suva. We anchored in Lami Bay beside True Blue V; we first met Leanne and Craig in Mexico in 2012. Leanne was also going to see the same dentist as Ted (Stewart Street Dental). Fortunately, the dentist determined that Ted's issue was not a dental problem, but due to congested sinuses; so we only spent a few days in Suva before heading on to Musket Cove and the West side of Fiji.
The West side of Fiji is like being in a totally different country! It is the tourist side of Fiji and for good reason - wonderful dry, sunny climate and some spectacular islands reminding us of the Society Islands like Bora Bora and Huahine with rugged volcanic spires, good snorkelling/diving, swimming and beautiful white sand beaches everywhere. We went to Musket Cove on Malololailai Island first. We first heard of Musket Cove when we were in Tahiti in 2014 and were intrigued, as people seemed to stay there for months. We found Musket Cove to be a lovely cruiser friendly resort, with great hiking, beaches for shelling and full access to the facilities. We felt like we were on holiday...haha, as if our life style isn't one big holiday, but I'm sure you understand what I mean. While we waited for Sequoia to join us from Savusavu, we took advantage of what the resort had to offer - taking a snorkel trip out to Castaway and Honeymoon reefs (which included visits to two other resorts), much needed massages at the Spa, and hiking the hills and beaches of Malololailai Island daily. There were many opportunities for socializing as many of our "yachtie" friends (as the locals call us) were in and out of Musket - Mango Moon, Havachat, Scoots, Pacifico and Erie Spirit to name a few. Sequoia arrived a week later, and we enjoyed showing them around the resort. Just as we were about to head north to the Yasawas, our Inverter/Charger suddenly stopped working. We sailed over to Port Denarau, the super yacht centre on the main island of Viti Levu, to see about repairs. Luckily, an electrician with a Master's Degree in electrical engineering, had recently set up his own business there (Ravi at RavMarine). He diagnosed the problem immediately and ordered two new circuit boards from Florida. We arranged for the parts to be shipped to Yacht Help at Port Denarau (FYI using an agent like Yacht Help is the best way to expedite importing parts). We expected the part to take 7-10 days to arrive; so we planned to use that time to finally go to the Yasawas and Mamanucas.
We provisioned in Nadi and Port Denarau, then returned to Musket Cove to meet Sequoia.
(Note: Provisioning in Port Denerau - I highly recommend the Deli for specialty items such as meat and fresh arugula and the wines from Victoria Wines).
At long last we headed north to the Mamanuca and Yasawa Islands - the reason we returned to Fiji this year. Several cruisers had given us lists of their favourite anchorages and there were so many to choose from. On the passage north, we were excited to see the island of Modriki, where the Tom Hank's film "Castaway" was filmed. It was fun to look at the beach and cliff and relive the story.
Our first stop was the island of Navadra (pronounced Navandra). The anchorage itself was lovely, although more than a little rolly with the wrap-around swell in the high winds we experienced. Mango Moon and Li'l Explorers were also anchored there. Ted and I couldn't resist climbing to the top of the cliff overlooking the anchorage to take in the fabulous views. Snorkelling was good there too. We were greatly amused by the kids from Li'l Explorers, who held hermit crab races on the beach. After two days we moved on to Drawaqa (pronounced Drawanga) to swim with the Manta Rays. As the current changes to high tide, the Manta Rays can be found feeding in the channel between Naviti and Drawanqa islands. We took turns driving the dinghy, while the rest of us dropped over the side to swim with the crowds following the Manta Rays. What spectacular creatures! We spent two days swimming with the Manta Rays and hiking above the Mantaray Island Resort on nearby Nanuya Balavu Island. We had hoped to travel on to the Blue Lagoon; but an email changed our plans. Unbelievably, the parts had arrived in 4 days from Florida!!! That...and the forecast of high winds, cut short our travels and we reluctantly headed back to Port Denarau. Although we didn't spend as much time as we would have liked in the Yasawas and Mamanucas, we did stay in some absolutely drop dead gorgeous anchorages. We would have liked to hike on Waya, anchor off Tom Hanks' "Castaway" island of Modriki and seen the Blue Lagoon; but we had a good taste of the islands anyway.
We returned to Port Denarau to have the parts installed, then moved over to Vuda Point Marina in preparation for clearing out and heading to Vanuatu. It was apparent that our time in Vanuatu was going to be limited. Friends were joining us in New Caledonia in early October, and we needed to have enough time to familiarize ourselves with New Caledonia before they arrived. We applied for and received approval to check-in at Aneityum, the southernmost island of Vanuatu; and the plan was to visit the islands of Aneityum and Tanna before heading on to New Caledonia. Now we wait for the weather for the 500 nm passage to Vanuatu and another new adventure...
Comments
Vessel Name: ROUNDABOUT II
Vessel Make/Model: 1998 Moody 40 CC
Hailing Port: Okotoks, Alberta (registered as Edmonton)
Crew: Pam & Ted Simper
About:
The culmination of 30+ years of dreaming and planning, Ted and Pam headed south from Vancouver Island in August 2012. They fell in love with sailing in East Africa in the mid-70s, and have sailed the Gulf Islands and Caribbean for many years. [...]
Extra:
2014 saw us sail from Mexico to New Zealand via French Polynesia, Niue and Tonga. 2015 was spent back in Canada while Pam had knee surgery. We returned to New Zealand in Dec 2015 and toured New Zealand from Cape Reinga to Bluff by car. The 2016 cruising season was spent cruising Fiji and [...]
ROUNDABOUT II's Photos - Main
Cruising the west side of Fiji in 2017
72 Photos
Created 3 April 2018
A brief visit to Paradise Resort on Taveuni and a tour of the island
70 Photos
Created 5 July 2017
Farewell to New Zealand - the passage to Fiji - and a rescue!
52 Photos
Created 14 June 2017
85 Photos
Created 11 June 2017
Photos of Suva
20 Photos
Created 11 June 2017
We experience the real Fiji in Falaga (Falanga), Southern Lau, Fiji
97 Photos
Created 19 September 2016
Exploring the Plantation at Bavatu Bay on Vanua Balavu, Northern Lau, Fiji - Hiking, kayaking and snorkelling
68 Photos
Created 6 September 2016
The idyllic cruising life you can only dream about...Bay of Islands, Vanua Balavu, Northern Lau, Fiji
87 Photos
Created 30 August 2016
Exploring the bays of the east coast of Vanua Levu and Rabi Island
72 Photos
Created 9 August 2016
From Savusavu North to Labasa with side trip west, sightseeing around Labasa then trip around east end of Vanua Levu and back to Savusavu.
78 Photos
Created 5 July 2016
Savusavu on Vanua Levu, Fiji
37 Photos
Created 4 July 2016
A few final hikes before returning to Whangarei
14 Photos
Created 22 May 2016
Rafting and climbing through the Waitomo glowworm caves - great fun for "big kids"! (All photos courtesy of Blackwater Rafting Inc.)
36 Photos
Created 22 May 2016
A highlight of our trip to NZ - one of the top 10 day hikes in the world!
95 Photos
Created 22 May 2016
From Wellington up the west coast to Tongariro National Park
15 Photos
Created 22 May 2016
A brief visit to Wellington and a tour of the Weta Workshop
21 Photos
Created 22 May 2016
Final stop on our South Island Tour
26 Photos
Created 21 May 2016
Gorgeous Banks Peninsula
40 Photos
Created 20 May 2016
Christchurch - city with great spirit as it rebuilds after devastating earthquakes
61 Photos
Created 19 May 2016
Hiking in the spectacular Mt. Cook area
58 Photos
Created 15 May 2016
Travels in the land of the Lord of the Rings
40 Photos
Created 1 May 2016
One rainy day in Milford Sound
28 Photos
Created 1 May 2016
Hiking in Fiordlands
19 Photos
Created 1 May 2016
From Invercargill to Te Anau area
19 Photos
Created 28 April 2016
We find the "World's Fastest Indian" at the southern tip of New Zealand
18 Photos
Created 28 April 2016
The wild South Coast - a tour through the Catlins
22 Photos
Created 28 April 2016
City of Dunedin and the spectacular Otago Peninsula
59 Photos
Created 28 April 2016
Driving from Wanaka through to the East Coast
14 Photos
Created 28 April 2016
Hiking in Wanaka area
11 Photos
Created 28 April 2016
From the West Coast to Wanaka
14 Photos
Created 28 April 2016
Hikes into Franz Josef and Fox Glaciers
20 Photos
Created 24 April 2016
Driving the West Coast of the South Island. Oparara Caves and Pancake Rocks
21 Photos
Created 24 April 2016
Adventures around Cape Farewell
74 Photos
Created 8 March 2016
North Coast of South Island
33 Photos
Created 8 March 2016
49 Photos
Created 8 March 2016
Our great New Zealand Land Tour begins...
29 Photos
Created 8 March 2016
Whangarei and Northland area - Dec 2015 and Jan 2016
63 Photos
Created 25 February 2016
A week in paradise in Niue
114 Photos
Created 15 September 2014
Bora Bora
36 Photos
Created 29 August 2014
Tahaa, Society Islands
43 Photos
Created 28 August 2014
Raiatea, French Polynesia
49 Photos
Created 27 August 2014
Huahine, Society Islands
50 Photos
Created 26 August 2014
Tahiti
36 Photos
Created 5 August 2014
Tahiti-Moorea Rendezvous - what a party!
64 Photos
Created 14 July 2014
Touring Moorea
27 Photos
Created 14 July 2014
Photos from our adventures in Fakarava
80 Photos
Created 14 July 2014
Exploring Tahuata
18 Photos
Created 16 June 2014
Exploring Fatu Hiva
20 Photos
Created 16 June 2014
Exploring the island of Hiva Oa
35 Photos
Created 16 June 2014
Exploring Nuku Hiva in the Marquesas
30 Photos
Created 16 June 2014
Crossing the Pacific from Puerto Vallarta to the Marquesas
27 Photos
Created 16 June 2014
La Cruz activites and Jen and Meg's visits
64 Photos
Created 2 April 2014
New Year's 2014 and Boat Preparation
36 Photos
Created 2 April 2014
Christmas in La Paz (Dec 2013)
52 Photos
Created 15 January 2014
Sojourn in the Sea of Cortez (Dec 2013)
109 Photos
Created 15 January 2014
Visitors on the crossing of the Sea of Cortez from Mazatlan to La Paz (Nov 2013)
7 Photos
Created 15 January 2014
Trip to Copper Canyon in April 2013
106 Photos
Created 14 January 2014
Putting the boat away for the summer and Spring Equinox celebrations in Las Labradas
49 Photos
Created 22 December 2013
Our adventures in the La Cruz (Puerto Vallarta) area
108 Photos
Created 11 March 2013
Isla Isabella, Matanchen/San Blas, Chacala and La Cruz
87 Photos
Created 14 February 2013
Photos from month spent in Mazatlan
53 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 14 February 2013
Christmas in Mazatlan
63 Photos
Created 3 January 2013
From Cabo San Lucas to Los Frailes, La Paz, Espiritu Santo and Mazatlan
63 Photos
Created 2 January 2013
Arrival in Mexico!
42 Photos
Created 2 January 2013
Photos of San Diego
29 Photos
Created 2 January 2013
Sailing from San Francisco to San Diego via Monterey and Avalon, Santa Catalina Island
66 Photos
Created 12 November 2012
First leg of our adventure. August 2012
65 Photos
Created 20 September 2012
9 Photos
Created 28 August 2011
31 Photos
Created 28 August 2011
A tour of our boat and the additions we made to prepare her for offshore.
31 Photos
Created 28 August 2011

The Crew of Roundabout II

Who: Pam & Ted Simper
Port: Okotoks, Alberta (registered as Edmonton)
Our thanks to Delta Marine, Blanchard Rigging, Peninsula Boat Tops, Port Townsend Sails, and Taylor Metalcraft for their expert assistance in preparing and rigging the boat for offshore. Their help was much appreciated!