goin' roundabout

20 August 2017 | Vuda Point Marina, Fiji
03 July 2017 | Taveuni, Paradise Resort
13 June 2017 | Savusavu, Vanua Levu, Fiji
11 June 2017 | Southern Fiji - Beqa, Kandavu and Ono
04 October 2016 | Suva Harbour and Lami Bay
20 September 2016 | Falaga, Southen Lau, Fiji
10 September 2016 | Vanua Balavu, Northern Lau, Fiji
05 August 2016 | Vanua Levu, Fiji
03 July 2016 | Savusavu, Venua Levu, Fiji
15 June 2016 | Whangarei, New Zealand
29 May 2016
29 May 2016
29 May 2016
29 May 2016
29 May 2016
29 May 2016

Christmas in Mazatlan

31 December 2012 | Marina Mazatlan
Pam
It's New Year's Eve and I am finally getting around to updating our blog - late as usual.

From La Paz, we headed to Isla Espiritu Santo for a couple of days, dropping anchor in Ensenada Candelaria. As evening fell, the hundreds of fish swimming around our boat created an amazing luminescence in the dark water. The sky was filled with stars, as was the water; it was difficult to tell where one ended and the other began. Pure magic! Strong north winds were predicted for the next few days and we had snuggled under the cliffs for protection; it was not too bad until around 2am, when the boat started bucking like the rodeo - the wind was coming from the west and there was no protection whatsoever! Ted decided to stand anchor watch, but our Rocna held solid and after a few hours it died down - had we just experienced a coromuel? The next day we decided to kayak only, as the norther was blowing strong and it was a bit too cool to snorkle. We had not planned to go ashore, except perhaps to walk on the beach; but true to form, we found a trail which led up from the beach to a well, and it appeared to continue on up the valley. The trail quickly faded and faltered and we ended up scrambling over rocks and cacti (sound familiar - there is a theme here). It was perhaps a bit more rugged than my flipflops were designed for! The next day, we tried all morning to get a weather report, but Ocens had "updated" their system and lost everything in the process. We waited until noon, when the winds and waves appeared to be subsiding (25 kts and 2m). We had an exciting ride south and then east across the Sea of Cortez until the norther finally blew out late afternoon the next day. We arrived in Mazatlan on Dec 19th after a 48 hr passage. The narrow entrance into the El Cid and Marina Mazatlan marinas deserves a mention. We had been warned about the narrowness, the currents and surge, and the possibility of a dredge working. Marina Mazatlan had confirmed that indeed the dredge was working near the entrance, but that we should be able to get through. As we came around the corner through the breakwater, sure enough there was the dreaded dredge and what seemed like an impossibly narrow gap betweeen it and the rocky shore; however, we were committed with no room to turn back. Holding our breath, we squeezed past the dredge with all its pipes and sharp bits on one side and the rocks on the other. What a thrill to see our friend, Maureen Tatem from Okotoks (Tarry-a-Bit) standing on the dock at El Cid, cheering and waving as we passed into the inner harbor. After the dredge experience, we thought we were safe; however, we failed to notice how strong our tail wind was. When we arrived at Marina Mazatlan, the marina staff were waving us into a very narrow slip. We didn't think we would fit and in hesitating lost steerage and ended up broadside with the wind pushing us down the line of moored boats. Yikes! Options... (while Ted is at the helm valiantly trying to regain steerage and get the boat turned around for another attempt)...I'm switching all the lines over to the other side so we can try for the next available slip (opposite tie)...realize there are many open slips further down (same tie) so switch the lines back...people running up and down the dock to try to help us... fending off other boats, dinghys, windvanes, etc...aaarrrggghhh...throwing lines...finally safe in a slip all to ourselves - what a way to meet your new neighbours! The only saving grace is that we have all been there. In the classic words of Dave Broadfoot (Air Farce)..."when I regained consciousness"...there were introductions all round, checking that no damage had been done and a huge sighs of relief. Tarry-a-Bit called - "hurry up we are going to the Old Town for the Christmas Fair" - so we rushed to get the dinghy off the deck, put the motor on, changed out of our passage clothes and off we went. At El Cid, we met another group of cruisers and were introduced to "red truck" group transportation. The evening was spent wandering through the Christmas Fair, having our faces painted, touring the fascinating area around Plazuela Machado, enjoying a delicious Mexican dinner at La Tramoya, and then another red truck ride back to El Cid. After a 48 hr passage, one might think that was enough fun; but when we got back to the boat we heard wonderful guitar music and singing drifting across the marina, so we followed the sound and ended up at Gus y Gus for a drink and dancing with several groups of locals and cruisers before finally heading to bed. It's a hard life, but someone has to do it! The next day we went shopping in preparation for Meghan arriving and found our way around Mazatlan with the help of the Tatems. Meg arrived safely with a bag full of presents, including Christmas decorations from Merry Jill (a brilliant idea). Meg and I spent the next day decorating the boat and it looked very festive. Christmas Eve we enjoyed a delicious dinner at Topolo in the Old Town with the Tatem family. It was great fun opening all the wonderful presents and cards from friends and family on Christmas morning - thank you all for thinking of us as we spend our first Christmas on the boat. Christmas week was spent touring Mazatlan, kayaking and a day of sailing (yes, out past the dreaded dredge, which this time had a cable attached to the shore which also had to be negotiated!). The week's holiday sped by far too fast and the boat seems very quiet now that Meg has gone home. Boat projects and planning for some inland touring will keep us busy for now. The night Meg left, Debbie took the gang to see the Santa Village and it was quite the experience - Casas de Santa of all sorts (my personal favourite was "Sushi de Santa"), antique rides all beautifully decorated, a train ride through the park, a nativity scene with live animals, photos with the "Three Wise Men" and an ice-skating rink! We were sorry Meg missed this.

Just a quick addendum to the Blog - New Year's Eve was spent in the company of cruisers and dirt dwellers alike, dining and dancing barefoot on the beach until the early hours - what fun!! Happy New Year to all our friends and relatives - may 2013 be a great year for you. Love Pam & Ted
Comments
Vessel Name: ROUNDABOUT II
Vessel Make/Model: 1998 Moody 40 CC
Hailing Port: Okotoks, Alberta (registered as Edmonton)
Crew: Pam & Ted Simper
About:
The culmination of 30+ years of dreaming and planning, Ted and Pam headed south from Vancouver Island in August 2012. They fell in love with sailing in East Africa in the mid-70s, and have sailed the Gulf Islands and Caribbean for many years. [...]
Extra:
2014 saw us sail from Mexico to New Zealand via French Polynesia, Niue and Tonga. 2015 was spent back in Canada while Pam had knee surgery. We returned to New Zealand in Dec 2015 and toured New Zealand from Cape Reinga to Bluff by car. The 2016 cruising season was spent cruising Fiji and [...]
ROUNDABOUT II's Photos - Main
Cruising the west side of Fiji in 2017
72 Photos
Created 3 April 2018
A brief visit to Paradise Resort on Taveuni and a tour of the island
70 Photos
Created 5 July 2017
Farewell to New Zealand - the passage to Fiji - and a rescue!
52 Photos
Created 14 June 2017
85 Photos
Created 11 June 2017
Photos of Suva
20 Photos
Created 11 June 2017
We experience the real Fiji in Falaga (Falanga), Southern Lau, Fiji
97 Photos
Created 19 September 2016
Exploring the Plantation at Bavatu Bay on Vanua Balavu, Northern Lau, Fiji - Hiking, kayaking and snorkelling
68 Photos
Created 6 September 2016
The idyllic cruising life you can only dream about...Bay of Islands, Vanua Balavu, Northern Lau, Fiji
87 Photos
Created 30 August 2016
Exploring the bays of the east coast of Vanua Levu and Rabi Island
72 Photos
Created 9 August 2016
From Savusavu North to Labasa with side trip west, sightseeing around Labasa then trip around east end of Vanua Levu and back to Savusavu.
78 Photos
Created 5 July 2016
Savusavu on Vanua Levu, Fiji
37 Photos
Created 4 July 2016
A few final hikes before returning to Whangarei
14 Photos
Created 22 May 2016
Rafting and climbing through the Waitomo glowworm caves - great fun for "big kids"! (All photos courtesy of Blackwater Rafting Inc.)
36 Photos
Created 22 May 2016
A highlight of our trip to NZ - one of the top 10 day hikes in the world!
95 Photos
Created 22 May 2016
From Wellington up the west coast to Tongariro National Park
15 Photos
Created 22 May 2016
A brief visit to Wellington and a tour of the Weta Workshop
21 Photos
Created 22 May 2016
Final stop on our South Island Tour
26 Photos
Created 21 May 2016
Gorgeous Banks Peninsula
40 Photos
Created 20 May 2016
Christchurch - city with great spirit as it rebuilds after devastating earthquakes
61 Photos
Created 19 May 2016
Hiking in the spectacular Mt. Cook area
58 Photos
Created 15 May 2016
Travels in the land of the Lord of the Rings
40 Photos
Created 1 May 2016
One rainy day in Milford Sound
28 Photos
Created 1 May 2016
Hiking in Fiordlands
19 Photos
Created 1 May 2016
From Invercargill to Te Anau area
19 Photos
Created 28 April 2016
We find the "World's Fastest Indian" at the southern tip of New Zealand
18 Photos
Created 28 April 2016
The wild South Coast - a tour through the Catlins
22 Photos
Created 28 April 2016
City of Dunedin and the spectacular Otago Peninsula
59 Photos
Created 28 April 2016
Driving from Wanaka through to the East Coast
14 Photos
Created 28 April 2016
Hiking in Wanaka area
11 Photos
Created 28 April 2016
From the West Coast to Wanaka
14 Photos
Created 28 April 2016
Hikes into Franz Josef and Fox Glaciers
20 Photos
Created 24 April 2016
Driving the West Coast of the South Island. Oparara Caves and Pancake Rocks
21 Photos
Created 24 April 2016
Adventures around Cape Farewell
74 Photos
Created 8 March 2016
North Coast of South Island
33 Photos
Created 8 March 2016
49 Photos
Created 8 March 2016
Our great New Zealand Land Tour begins...
29 Photos
Created 8 March 2016
Whangarei and Northland area - Dec 2015 and Jan 2016
63 Photos
Created 25 February 2016
A week in paradise in Niue
114 Photos
Created 15 September 2014
Bora Bora
36 Photos
Created 29 August 2014
Tahaa, Society Islands
43 Photos
Created 28 August 2014
Raiatea, French Polynesia
49 Photos
Created 27 August 2014
Huahine, Society Islands
50 Photos
Created 26 August 2014
Tahiti
36 Photos
Created 5 August 2014
Tahiti-Moorea Rendezvous - what a party!
64 Photos
Created 14 July 2014
Touring Moorea
27 Photos
Created 14 July 2014
Photos from our adventures in Fakarava
80 Photos
Created 14 July 2014
Exploring Tahuata
18 Photos
Created 16 June 2014
Exploring Fatu Hiva
20 Photos
Created 16 June 2014
Exploring the island of Hiva Oa
35 Photos
Created 16 June 2014
Exploring Nuku Hiva in the Marquesas
30 Photos
Created 16 June 2014
Crossing the Pacific from Puerto Vallarta to the Marquesas
27 Photos
Created 16 June 2014
La Cruz activites and Jen and Meg's visits
64 Photos
Created 2 April 2014
New Year's 2014 and Boat Preparation
36 Photos
Created 2 April 2014
Christmas in La Paz (Dec 2013)
52 Photos
Created 15 January 2014
Sojourn in the Sea of Cortez (Dec 2013)
109 Photos
Created 15 January 2014
Visitors on the crossing of the Sea of Cortez from Mazatlan to La Paz (Nov 2013)
7 Photos
Created 15 January 2014
Trip to Copper Canyon in April 2013
106 Photos
Created 14 January 2014
Putting the boat away for the summer and Spring Equinox celebrations in Las Labradas
49 Photos
Created 22 December 2013
Our adventures in the La Cruz (Puerto Vallarta) area
108 Photos
Created 11 March 2013
Isla Isabella, Matanchen/San Blas, Chacala and La Cruz
87 Photos
Created 14 February 2013
Photos from month spent in Mazatlan
53 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 14 February 2013
Christmas in Mazatlan
63 Photos
Created 3 January 2013
From Cabo San Lucas to Los Frailes, La Paz, Espiritu Santo and Mazatlan
63 Photos
Created 2 January 2013
Arrival in Mexico!
42 Photos
Created 2 January 2013
Photos of San Diego
29 Photos
Created 2 January 2013
Sailing from San Francisco to San Diego via Monterey and Avalon, Santa Catalina Island
66 Photos
Created 12 November 2012
First leg of our adventure. August 2012
65 Photos
Created 20 September 2012
9 Photos
Created 28 August 2011
31 Photos
Created 28 August 2011
A tour of our boat and the additions we made to prepare her for offshore.
31 Photos
Created 28 August 2011

The Crew of Roundabout II

Who: Pam & Ted Simper
Port: Okotoks, Alberta (registered as Edmonton)
Our thanks to Delta Marine, Blanchard Rigging, Peninsula Boat Tops, Port Townsend Sails, and Taylor Metalcraft for their expert assistance in preparing and rigging the boat for offshore. Their help was much appreciated!