goin' roundabout

20 August 2017 | Vuda Point Marina, Fiji
03 July 2017 | Taveuni, Paradise Resort
13 June 2017 | Savusavu, Vanua Levu, Fiji
11 June 2017 | Southern Fiji - Beqa, Kandavu and Ono
04 October 2016 | Suva Harbour and Lami Bay
20 September 2016 | Falaga, Southen Lau, Fiji
10 September 2016 | Vanua Balavu, Northern Lau, Fiji
05 August 2016 | Vanua Levu, Fiji
03 July 2016 | Savusavu, Venua Levu, Fiji
15 June 2016 | Whangarei, New Zealand
29 May 2016
29 May 2016
29 May 2016
29 May 2016
29 May 2016
29 May 2016

Sea of Cortez

11 January 2014 | Sea of Cortez
Pam
December is not the optimum time to visit the Sea of Cortez, but it was to be our only opportunity. Knowing full well that we would likely be motoring north, head into the wind or with no wind at all, stuck in places due to the numerous strong "northers" that blow at this time of year and that many interesting anchorages would not be safe or even accessible in these conditions; we set off into the Sea. Our friends, Jim and Linda on Bright Moments (BCA friends from Calgary) had left the day before with visitors on board and we were hoping to catch up to them. We headed for Ensenada Grande on Isla Partita, just north of the lovely Espiritu Santo (our farthest point north in the Sea last season), but Bright Moments had already moved on. As the seas were calm, we took the dinghy round to the north end of the island to visit Los Islotes. Here a unique experience awaited us - swimming with the Sea Lions! This particular colony is friendly to people, unlike the colonies we have encountered while kayaking in the Gulf Islands and off Vancouver Island. A few mooring balls have been installed for dinghies and pangas, and the Sea Lions were awaiting our arrival - what a noise they made. Only one small group of tourists was in the water and they didn't seem to be in danger, so with a little tingle of fear, we dropped into the water. The young pups came out to greet us and entertained us with somersaults, belly rolls and close (very close) swim-by's. We dove under and did somersaults and twirls along with them, which only encouraged them more. The adults kept a watchful eye out; and if people ventured too close to the colony, they would come out to ensure we backed off a bit. I had been told by other cruisers that the pups might nip your flippers, as they playfully do to each other; however, I was still unprepared for the feeling of a whiskery mouth taking me gently by the hand! At first I thought it was Ted, but on looking around he was nowhere in sight. The next thing I knew, a young pup swam up my back and wrapped his flippers around my neck in a playful hug - somewhat terrifying, but infinitely cool! It will be pretty hard to top that experience. The pups were so amazing that we almost overlooked the wonderful assortment of fish that also made these rocks their home. First the swim with the whale sharks and now this - Ted and I felt like we were on an aquatic version of our animal encounters in Africa years ago.
The next day we had a lovely sail north to Isla San Francisco, one of the jewels of the Sea of Cortez. Bright Moments hailed us on the VHF to say that they had gone up to Isla San Jose to visit the mangrove swamp at Bahia Amortajada, but would be back by evening. They arrived back covered in jejene bites, but pleased with their adventure. Linda whipped up a delicious seafood pasta for us, and I introduced everyone to Mexican Train; a wonderful congenial evening was spent together. Next morning, Ted and I climbed the ridge to view the picturesque bay with its curving white sand beach; but, unfortunately, I forgot to take my camera with me! In the afternoon, we joined Bright Moments for a pleasant sail. Sadly, the next morning we had to part company, as Bright Moments needed to return to La Paz in time for their guests to catch flights home. 'Tis the way of the cruiser's life -short intense times together and many goodbyes! We headed north again to find a protected anchorage, as a strong norther was predicted to arrive that evening. As with all the weather reports we had in the Sea of Cortez - the winds were usually ahead of schedule and at least 10 knots stronger than predicted! Consequently, we bashed headlong into steep, choppy seas up to the welcome haven of San Evaristo. Once under the protective cliffs of the headland, we could look around and enjoy this spectacular site, with the rugged Sierra Gigante range towering over the fishing village. Two young panguerros (fishermen) stopped by our boat and offered to sell us fresh Langosta (Spiny Lobster) - how could we refuse? That night we feasted on delicious BBQ'd lobster tails - so sweet and delicious!
The wind continued to blow hard for the next few days; so we visited friends on Evergleam, took a few excursions by dinghy into the village to buy fresh fish from the fishermen and to hike the roads in both directions out from the village. We quickly realized that hiking off the roads in this country was going to be very challenging - between the unstable rocks underfoot and the thorny brush - it took too much effort for the reward, and a full set of leather clothing would not be inappropriate. One morning, we saw a Dorado chasing a flying fish around our boat - both fish leaping out of the water - what spectacular colours! Finally, a short break in the weather was forecast, and as more strong winds were to follow immediately, we headed for the next protected anchorage - 40 miles north at San Marte. It was disappointing to have to bypass places with names like Timbabiche, with its abandoned Casa Grande, and the stunning red rocks of Los Gatos - perhaps we would have the opportunity on the way south - surely then the winds would be coming from behind us. A quick kayak ride and a short walk above the beach as the sun set behind the mountains and then it was off again the next morning for the final 30 mile motor run north to Puerto Escondido. Again, we had to pass lovely spots like Bahia Agua Verde and Honeymoon Cove in our quest to get to a safe anchorage. As we motored mile after mile, we thumbed through our copy of Shawn and Heather's Guidebook to the Sea of Cortez, eagerly reading the stories and admiring the beautiful photos of the places we were passing. A note to fellow cruiser's - don't leave home without this wonderful guidebook; and be sure to download their maps which overlay onto your charts, as they have taken depth soundings and put in GPS waypoints to supplement the often inaccurate charts (see photo).
Puerto Escondido was not what we expected. To be sure, it is a lovely location with the Sierra Gigante and the protected anchorage; but there is really nothing there, to do or see - just a small Fonatur marina with haul-out facilities, a small tienda and restaurant, icy cold showers and a grid of empty streets with no development! Loreto, the nearest big town, is 15 miles north, but the buses go at inconvenient times like 2 AM, 3AM or mid-afternoon! Fortunately, our friend Dave (Free Spirit) had his truck there and offered to drive us to town to see the sites and provision. Many people live here semi-permanently on their boats, but with the minimal services, cold winters and blistering hot summers - it is definitely not for me. We enjoyed spending time with Dave and new friends Thea and John (Swerrver 2); albeit briefly, as our time away from the boat was limited due to the WINDS! Remember the north winds that were forecast - boy did they blow - sustained 20-25 knots with gust to the mid-30's inside the protected anchorage! Ted spent two nights sleeping in the cockpit on watch, as the mooring balls are all pretty suspect and we were not comfortable leaving the boat without someone on board. We were told that the moorings are not being maintained as plans are afoot for changes to the marina sometime in the future. This was clearly evident on the Saturday, when the moorings broke on two boats - one went careening into one or more boats in the Waiting Room and the other smashed against the sea wall within the Ellipse, the second one on a chain that had just been "inspected" and pronounced OK! Fortunately, Ted was on his way over to the swap meet and saw the boat pinned to the dinghy dock and headed towards the sea wall. He raised the alarm and assisted with getting the boat off before too much damage was done. Warning to other cruisers - don't trust the moorings - better to anchor instead, even though you get charged the same price to anchor as to tie to a mooring buoy.
Did I mention that Dave makes delicious bread? He kindly offered to give me a lesson in bread-making, a skill that I will need to practice for the trip ahead; so we stayed on one more day for me to do this.
We finally decided that enough was enough - the weather was cold, Ted officially stated that the water was now too cold for swimming and we could hear warmer climes calling; so with our larder packed with treats from Dave and promises to see him again in the New Year, we pointed Roundabout's nose back south. About the" wind at our back's" thing - you would think after all the bashing into the wind that we did going north; we would have the benefit of being able to sail south with it behind us, but "no...ooo". It reminds us of Ted's father's expression about "walking uphill to school in both directions".
On our way to Agua Verde, Ted caught a 38" Dorado, his first - Bob you would have been proud! The amazing quantities of sea life we experienced at Isla Espiritu Santo last December were not present this year - perhaps something to do with the lack of plankton, as the water is so clear. I guess we were doubly lucky to see and catch a Dorado. They are almost too pretty to kill, but we enjoyed fresh Dorado that night. We decided to spend a couple of nights in Agua Verde, as it is such a lovely location. We spent our time kayaking and hiking, although the hiking is akin to walking on marbles (geologically too young to have developed soil yet, plus erosion I guess) and explored the town. The little "Mini-Mart" tienda near the shore has fridges stuffed with lovely produce and a surprisingly good selection of groceries. We bought fresh local goat's milk cheese and served it up on crackers with the last of my Cowichan Bay Hot Pepper Jelly - delicious! From Agua Verde, it was another long motor into the wind back to Isla San Francisco, another night of howling winds, and then we headed back to La Paz for Christmas. We had a brilliant sail down from Isla San Francisco in a 20-25 kts westerly; making up for some of the earlier motoring and/or bashing.
The Sea of Cortez is a place of legendary beauty, with a multitude of interesting anchorages to explore. We're glad we did the trip, the scenery and the rocks are spectacular; but one cannot truly enjoy what the Sea has to offer at this time of year.
Comments
Vessel Name: ROUNDABOUT II
Vessel Make/Model: 1998 Moody 40 CC
Hailing Port: Okotoks, Alberta (registered as Edmonton)
Crew: Pam & Ted Simper
About:
The culmination of 30+ years of dreaming and planning, Ted and Pam headed south from Vancouver Island in August 2012. They fell in love with sailing in East Africa in the mid-70s, and have sailed the Gulf Islands and Caribbean for many years. [...]
Extra:
2014 saw us sail from Mexico to New Zealand via French Polynesia, Niue and Tonga. 2015 was spent back in Canada while Pam had knee surgery. We returned to New Zealand in Dec 2015 and toured New Zealand from Cape Reinga to Bluff by car. The 2016 cruising season was spent cruising Fiji and [...]
ROUNDABOUT II's Photos - Main
Cruising the west side of Fiji in 2017
72 Photos
Created 3 April 2018
A brief visit to Paradise Resort on Taveuni and a tour of the island
70 Photos
Created 5 July 2017
Farewell to New Zealand - the passage to Fiji - and a rescue!
52 Photos
Created 14 June 2017
85 Photos
Created 11 June 2017
Photos of Suva
20 Photos
Created 11 June 2017
We experience the real Fiji in Falaga (Falanga), Southern Lau, Fiji
97 Photos
Created 19 September 2016
Exploring the Plantation at Bavatu Bay on Vanua Balavu, Northern Lau, Fiji - Hiking, kayaking and snorkelling
68 Photos
Created 6 September 2016
The idyllic cruising life you can only dream about...Bay of Islands, Vanua Balavu, Northern Lau, Fiji
87 Photos
Created 30 August 2016
Exploring the bays of the east coast of Vanua Levu and Rabi Island
72 Photos
Created 9 August 2016
From Savusavu North to Labasa with side trip west, sightseeing around Labasa then trip around east end of Vanua Levu and back to Savusavu.
78 Photos
Created 5 July 2016
Savusavu on Vanua Levu, Fiji
37 Photos
Created 4 July 2016
A few final hikes before returning to Whangarei
14 Photos
Created 22 May 2016
Rafting and climbing through the Waitomo glowworm caves - great fun for "big kids"! (All photos courtesy of Blackwater Rafting Inc.)
36 Photos
Created 22 May 2016
A highlight of our trip to NZ - one of the top 10 day hikes in the world!
95 Photos
Created 22 May 2016
From Wellington up the west coast to Tongariro National Park
15 Photos
Created 22 May 2016
A brief visit to Wellington and a tour of the Weta Workshop
21 Photos
Created 22 May 2016
Final stop on our South Island Tour
26 Photos
Created 21 May 2016
Gorgeous Banks Peninsula
40 Photos
Created 20 May 2016
Christchurch - city with great spirit as it rebuilds after devastating earthquakes
61 Photos
Created 19 May 2016
Hiking in the spectacular Mt. Cook area
58 Photos
Created 15 May 2016
Travels in the land of the Lord of the Rings
40 Photos
Created 1 May 2016
One rainy day in Milford Sound
28 Photos
Created 1 May 2016
Hiking in Fiordlands
19 Photos
Created 1 May 2016
From Invercargill to Te Anau area
19 Photos
Created 28 April 2016
We find the "World's Fastest Indian" at the southern tip of New Zealand
18 Photos
Created 28 April 2016
The wild South Coast - a tour through the Catlins
22 Photos
Created 28 April 2016
City of Dunedin and the spectacular Otago Peninsula
59 Photos
Created 28 April 2016
Driving from Wanaka through to the East Coast
14 Photos
Created 28 April 2016
Hiking in Wanaka area
11 Photos
Created 28 April 2016
From the West Coast to Wanaka
14 Photos
Created 28 April 2016
Hikes into Franz Josef and Fox Glaciers
20 Photos
Created 24 April 2016
Driving the West Coast of the South Island. Oparara Caves and Pancake Rocks
21 Photos
Created 24 April 2016
Adventures around Cape Farewell
74 Photos
Created 8 March 2016
North Coast of South Island
33 Photos
Created 8 March 2016
49 Photos
Created 8 March 2016
Our great New Zealand Land Tour begins...
29 Photos
Created 8 March 2016
Whangarei and Northland area - Dec 2015 and Jan 2016
63 Photos
Created 25 February 2016
A week in paradise in Niue
114 Photos
Created 15 September 2014
Bora Bora
36 Photos
Created 29 August 2014
Tahaa, Society Islands
43 Photos
Created 28 August 2014
Raiatea, French Polynesia
49 Photos
Created 27 August 2014
Huahine, Society Islands
50 Photos
Created 26 August 2014
Tahiti
36 Photos
Created 5 August 2014
Tahiti-Moorea Rendezvous - what a party!
64 Photos
Created 14 July 2014
Touring Moorea
27 Photos
Created 14 July 2014
Photos from our adventures in Fakarava
80 Photos
Created 14 July 2014
Exploring Tahuata
18 Photos
Created 16 June 2014
Exploring Fatu Hiva
20 Photos
Created 16 June 2014
Exploring the island of Hiva Oa
35 Photos
Created 16 June 2014
Exploring Nuku Hiva in the Marquesas
30 Photos
Created 16 June 2014
Crossing the Pacific from Puerto Vallarta to the Marquesas
27 Photos
Created 16 June 2014
La Cruz activites and Jen and Meg's visits
64 Photos
Created 2 April 2014
New Year's 2014 and Boat Preparation
36 Photos
Created 2 April 2014
Christmas in La Paz (Dec 2013)
52 Photos
Created 15 January 2014
Sojourn in the Sea of Cortez (Dec 2013)
109 Photos
Created 15 January 2014
Visitors on the crossing of the Sea of Cortez from Mazatlan to La Paz (Nov 2013)
7 Photos
Created 15 January 2014
Trip to Copper Canyon in April 2013
106 Photos
Created 14 January 2014
Putting the boat away for the summer and Spring Equinox celebrations in Las Labradas
49 Photos
Created 22 December 2013
Our adventures in the La Cruz (Puerto Vallarta) area
108 Photos
Created 11 March 2013
Isla Isabella, Matanchen/San Blas, Chacala and La Cruz
87 Photos
Created 14 February 2013
Photos from month spent in Mazatlan
53 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 14 February 2013
Christmas in Mazatlan
63 Photos
Created 3 January 2013
From Cabo San Lucas to Los Frailes, La Paz, Espiritu Santo and Mazatlan
63 Photos
Created 2 January 2013
Arrival in Mexico!
42 Photos
Created 2 January 2013
Photos of San Diego
29 Photos
Created 2 January 2013
Sailing from San Francisco to San Diego via Monterey and Avalon, Santa Catalina Island
66 Photos
Created 12 November 2012
First leg of our adventure. August 2012
65 Photos
Created 20 September 2012
9 Photos
Created 28 August 2011
31 Photos
Created 28 August 2011
A tour of our boat and the additions we made to prepare her for offshore.
31 Photos
Created 28 August 2011

The Crew of Roundabout II

Who: Pam & Ted Simper
Port: Okotoks, Alberta (registered as Edmonton)
Our thanks to Delta Marine, Blanchard Rigging, Peninsula Boat Tops, Port Townsend Sails, and Taylor Metalcraft for their expert assistance in preparing and rigging the boat for offshore. Their help was much appreciated!