Notable Notations

Who: Darrell, Nicki, Curtis, Marcus and Porthos
Port: Alameda, CA
26 August 2013 | San Francisco
01 May 2013 | Point Sur, California
27 April 2013 | Coast of California
24 April 2013 | US Border
24 April 2013 | Ensenada, Baja, MX
19 April 2013 | Turtle Bay, Baja, MX
13 April 2013 | Off the coast, Baja, MX
11 April 2013 | Bahia San Juanico, Baja, MX
08 April 2013 | Bahia Santa Maria, Baja, MX
05 April 2013 | Bahia Santa Maria, Baja, MX
29 March 2013 | Cabo San Lucas, Baja, MX
29 March 2013 | Cabo San Lucas, Baja, MX
26 March 2013
26 March 2013 | Paradise Village, Nuevo Vallarta, Mexico
22 March 2013 | La Cruz Anchorage
19 March 2013 | Tenacatit, Jal, MX
19 March 2013 | Tenacatit, Jal, MX
15 March 2013 | Barra de Navidad, Jal, MX
10 March 2013 | Santiago Bay, Jal, MX
06 March 2013 | Manzanillo, Colima, MX

Go Mode

01 May 2013 | Point Sur, California
Darrell
It was on the way to Oceanside while we where studying Sailflow and Passageweather that we decided to push through to San Francisco as quick as we could. The rides to both Oceanside and Marina Del Rey where pretty quick motor sails at over 6 knots sustained. Oceanside was literally a sleep over, but we did get up to the club for a decompression drink.

The motor to Marina Del Rey saw Rubber Duckies become an Aviary to several blue and yellow finches. One of the little guys stayed in the cockpit with Porthos and I for over 5 hours. He even landed on my leg and slept for 30 minutes. The marine life is changing to colder climate creatures and larger dolphins.

The stay at the Del Rey Yacht Club was all too brief. We pulled in around 7 and warmed up in the clubs bar. We met another gentleman from the Bay Area, Wolfgang. Wolfgang purchased a beautiful dark blue Tayana (48DS I think) named ... from our good friend Neil Weinberg, small world. Monday was fuel and provisioning with no time to visit friends and family. We will drive down later this year to make up for it Jim and Doug! Not wanting to round Point Conception too early meant we could sleep in until 6:30... Bonus!

We where off the dock at 7:20 and had a great motor sail all the way out to Santa Barbara managing over 7 knots sustained. We started feeling the effects of Point Conception around 10PM and discovered we where not alone. The sailboat Ebeniezer III from Sausalito was rounding on her way to Morro Bay. We stayed about a mile apart the entire night finally parting ways around 4AM. The rounding was pretty rough, very cold but at least the winds where light. Heading north finally we started seeing the sea state improve but it was not until 9:30 that we finally saw the sun. Today has been pretty good with slightly warmer temps, the sun and smoothing conditions. We should be hitting Point Sur around 11PM and we are already seeing the waves start to stack up. If things keep going this way we should be at Encinal Yacht Club around 5PM tomorrow.

Cheers!
Comments
Vessel Name: Rubber Duckies
Vessel Make/Model: Coronado 45
Hailing Port: Alameda, CA
Crew: Darrell, Nicki, Curtis, Marcus and Porthos
About:
Darrell and Nicki both took ASA classes at Tradewinds Sailing School in Richmond, California. After learning the ropes on various charter boats they purchased thier first beater boat, a Coronado 30, in 2002 and joined the Vallejo Yacht Club. [...]
Extra: A boat in a slip is a sad thing. A boat that never leaves the slip is unnatural.

Notable Notations

Who: Darrell, Nicki, Curtis, Marcus and Porthos
Port: Alameda, CA