August Sun

16 June 2013 | Marathon, Florida
16 June 2013 | Marathon, Florida
05 August 2012 | Bradenton, Tampa, Florida
07 April 2012 | Panama City, Florida
09 March 2012 | New Orleans - Part 1
08 March 2012 | ICW
07 March 2012 | ICW
06 March 2012 | Intercoastal City
05 March 2012 | Lake Arthur
04 March 2012 | Bow Tie Marina
03 March 2012 | ICW
02 March 2012 | Kemah, Texas
29 February 2012 | Kemah - but not for long!
22 February 2012 | Kemah - Still!
12 February 2012 | Kemah, Texas

Close Encounter of the Military Kind – Again!

05 August 2012 | Bradenton, Tampa, Florida
Hot and Wet!
And over the VHF came 'This is the Unites States Air Force Launch, AF1 - you are in a missile testing zone and a live exercise is in progress with the US Air Force and you must leave the area now' at which point, an F-111 flew overhead, just above mast height! I replied 'We have a flare gun and a vicious dog on board (India, Boston Terrier) - you don't scare us' - well that's what I wanted to say, but Kathy said I mustn't ....................... Instead I said 'Yes, Sir, pleased to oblige'

We were on passage from Panama City to Tampa Florida (200 miles), it was a beautiful, early evening, clear sky, deep water, wind on the starboard beam and we were having a class of white wine for 'Sundowners' - and in steps the military to screw it up! To be fair, the Coast Guard had been announcing it on VHF 22Alpha all day, but.................. Anyway we headed south - and we only 1 mile into the zone.

We left St Andrews Marina, Panama City on the 28th June after spending 3 months there - we LOVED it (apart from the biker bar just opposite our berth, which had loud music, excessive drinking and fights. Kathy and I tried hard to compete, but they were professionals!) I had just come back from Romania, where I was working on the southern slope of the Transylvanian Alp's (and yes, it had biting wind - Ha!) whilst my Kathy had stayed on the boat, as Tropical Storm Debby passed directly overhead! It was a big rush to get ready, but there was an 'ideal weather window' behind the storm front. We anchored overnight in St Joe's Bay at Eagle Harbor - truly a beautiful spot and a chance to empty the Fuzzle.

The run across was uneventful on our boat (the way we like it!), but a lot was going on around us and we were 60 miles out to sea! 3 guys were picked up in a life raft after their barge sank in the storm and they were adrift for 3 days in a coastal life raft (little provisions and water) and were in a bad way. We heard of 2 lots of distress flares being set off via the VHF, and a pontoon boat was found 50 miles out to sea with no one on it!

We made landfall at Tarpon Springs and stayed overnight at the Turtle Cove Marina - great little place! Tarpon Spring is predominantly Greek and the main industry for many years was sponges. There are museums about the early days and the sponge divers. Had Greek meal that night and headed out to Tampa the next morning.

We are currently at Twin Dolphins Marina, Bradenton to hide out for the hurricane season, then we head southwest to Key West, with a few stops along the way, and then to Marathon and preparation for the run across to the Bahamas, Exumas Islands and Cuba (we need to be careful, as this is still an embargoed country by the US and if Kathy spends money there she can be arrested for 'Aiding the Enemy'! - How long ago was the revolution and the Bay of Pigs?)

Anyway, we are getting settled into life here in Tampa and the marina is top class (http://twindolphinmarina.com/). Mitch and Rachel (his girlfriend) came over for 3 weeks and they did the usual tourist bit, LA and Disney Land, New Orleans and Bourbon Street, then 2 weeks with us. We went up to Crystal River, which is the only place in the US you can swim with wild manatees and they did not let us down. I was swimming beside a little calf, about 4' long, when mummy came up UNDER me! It was like watch Red October surface! About 12 ft long and a huge tail, which I did not want a closer look at! They are very tame and they let you scratch their noses and belly - I did roll over and offer to let people do it to me - but I got no takers - COWARDS!!

We had a week in Miami and Nikki, Kathy's daughter joined us - again we did the tourist bit! - all the Keys down to Key West, airboat riding in the Everglades, etc..
Last weekend we spent at the St Petersburg yacht Clubs and loved every minute of it! People refer to St Petersburg as 'old Florida' and it is easy to see why. Lovely old building and parks and great restaurants.... We did however have a tragic return trip to Twin Dolphin when we did a recovery of the body of a 32 year old man who had jumped of the Sunshine Skyway Bridge (180' from span to sea), but at the time we did not know that was where he had come from the bridge - we thought it was off one of the same vessels nearby. Very sad.....

Well, I need to go back to my bunk, as I am nursing a hangover as the result of a good night at the marina, where Kathy forced me to drink too many screwdrivers and had the audacity to tell my this morning that it was own fault!............... I was just being polite and joining in! Ho hum........................
Comments
Vessel Name: August Sun
Vessel Make/Model: 40' Jeanneau Sun Odyssey
Hailing Port: Kemah, Texas
Crew: Martin, Kathy, India & Scarlet (Scat)
About: Life has changed for India - rat mutt junior (Scat) has arrived!
Extra: ..... and is on constant 'Dolphin watch'!
Home Page: http://www.sailblogs.com/member/runningwild

August Sun

Who: Martin, Kathy, India & Scarlet (Scat)
Port: Kemah, Texas