Spring Safari

18 July 2010 | Newport, RI!!!
30 June 2010
29 June 2010
28 June 2010
27 June 2010 | Cape Hatteras
26 June 2010 | Passing Charleston, SC
25 June 2010 | Even with Jacksonville, FL (90 miles out)
24 June 2010 | On course toward St. Augustine and gulf stream
23 June 2010 | Matt Lowe's Cay, Abacos, Bahamas
02 June 2010 | Staniel Cay, Bahamas
16 May 2010 | Currently in St. Thomas, USVI
01 May 2010 | Fajardo, Puerto Rico
17 April 2010 | Caneel Bay, St. John
09 April 2010 | Portsmouth, Dominica
01 April 2010 | Still in Bequia
28 February 2010 | Bequia
13 February 2010 | Le Marin, Martinique
13 February 2010 | En route
02 February 2010 | Portsmouth, Dominica

Riches abound!

02 February 2010 | Portsmouth, Dominica
Dominica is all that we had heard it was going to be. This is truly a land of riches! It started when we arrived and were met by the friendly Martin, our designated boat "boy". (hardly a boy... he is our age!) He greeted us with a bunch of local flowers and made us feel very welcome indeed. Next on the scene was Junior - our fruit boy. He arrived and sold us heaps of passion fruit and fresh mangoes - YUM!! Martin then helped us with our clearing in, and we felt incredibly settled and relaxed after a wild ride and crazy anchorage in Isles des Saintes, Guadeloupe.

We have been traveling in tandem for a short while with Bojangles IV (of Caribbean 1500 fame if you follow these things...), and Shining Time - both kid boats. We arranged to do a tour on the Indian River with these families for our first day on the island. Martin was our guide up river - and being a botanist, and local knowledge expert, it was an extremely informative journey - one that kept everyone entertained! Dominica was the site where several bits of the second Pirates of the Caribbean movie was filmed, so this is extremely cool for the kids. Now we just have to see that movie again so we can imagine them filming it here!

The produce here is amazing - market day was field day for us - 10 star fruit for a dollar - it just doesn't get any better than this!! Grapefruit are dropping off the trees, and the kids have been eating cocoa fruit, among many other new things!! The island is incredibly lush, and the highlight so far was a day long tour of the northern tip of the island yesterday, at Hampstead Beach. This was a huge black sand beach littered with bamboo, driftwood, coconuts, and palm fronds, directly adjacent to a lovely fresh water river. Kids and adults shampooed in the river, then proceeded to build a raft and hut out of the available products on the beach. Gilligan's Island was recreated here.

Lots of new photos in the photo gallery - and more to come!! And in case you were wondering - we are NOT missing winter.

Comments
Vessel Name: Safari Tu
Vessel Make/Model: 44' Gulfstar 1980
Hailing Port: Newport, RI
Crew: Scott, Jen, Anna, Matthew
About: We are a family of four looking to take some time out of our hectic life to enjoy each other while exploring the east coast and Caribbean on our sailboat. Let the adventure begin!
Extra: Scott and Jen already took a year and a half off before kids to backpack around the world. Anna and Matthew have spent half of their lives living in Europe.

Who: Scott, Jen, Anna, Matthew
Port: Newport, RI