M/V NOMADIC SPIRIT

After years sailing the Caribbean we traded our Tayana 37 for an Island Gypsy to explore The Loop. Now that we have completed this adventure...what will be next

Virgin Views

24 March 2014
Exploring more of the Virgin Islands
The Virgin Islands is charter boat central. Numerous charter companies have huge fleets ranging from 31 foot mono-hulls to 57+ foot catamarans. Many say the area is spoiled, too commercialized, too many tourists, etc. We say it is sailing heaven. The reason the Virgins are so popular is the easy one day sail from island to island, the fabulous sandy beaches and snorkeling that is unmatched in the Lesser Antilles. Yes, you can spend nights in crowded noisy anchorage filed with mooring balls at a cost of $30 USD per night. There are many harbors and bays however, that are void of the requisite beach bar to draw the crowds and justify the mooring field. These bays are where you'll find Salacious and most other live aboard cruisers.

St John

We cleared into St John which is an unbelievably easy, either call or walk in and show them the Local Boater Option card. Then walk across the street for a Cheeseburger in Paradise. On our way to the dingy dock we saw Devi and Hunter on Arctic Tern and knew a card night wasn't far off.



St James Island and Christmas Cove is one of our favorite anchorages. Great snorkeling and the perfect place to watch the sunsets.

The best part is the free mooring balls. We had a pizza party on our boat for Devi's birthday and then she and Steve beat Hunter and I at Hand and Foot. Again! I think we need t split those two up next time. Because we are addicted to the internet we needed a new SIM card and service for our MiFi. A short trip to St Thomas was in order. Don't forget they have a K-Mart here as well so we spent a bit and left the next morning for Capella Island. We were the only boat in the anchorage, well for about an hour anyway. Shortly there were 9 Snorkel Boats and Steve estimated 500 burnt tourist swimming around. He thought they were so thick we could walk across their backs. After they all left we got in the water and then enjoyed a peaceful evening alone before returning to Christmas Cove. We always see many boats we know here and a beach sundowner gathering took little effort to organize.

Cruz Bay

After a few days we headed back to St John to retrieve more packaged and visit some of our favorite bays. Being almost entirely a National Park, the island has pristine beaches and numerous wonderful hiking trails. The album in the photo gallery has many additional views from our walks. It is always difficult to pick a favorite but I think Waterlemon Cay got my vote this year for snorkeling. Fabulous!

Megans Bay

We have always wanted to go to Megans Bay on the north side of St Thomas and finally made it this year. Designated as one of the top 10 beaches in the world by National Geographic and you can see why as you approach. We spent several days there, walked the beach and made to trips up the trail to take in the sights. Penache was there as well so we had two evenings of Shit Head, a great card game Greta May shared with us.

Above Megans Bay

Out of Africa has arrived in the BVI so off we go to Jost Van Dyke to clear in. We don't have to clear out or back into the USVI when we return. The BVI has a 30 day limit unless you pay a $200 import tax for your boat. The US and Spanish VI have no limit for us but does have a generous limit for those holding a visa. Many pass from the US and BVI several times a season.

Gorda Sound from Hog Heaven Hike

We met up with Jo and John and are now traveling those uncrowded anchorages. Savannah Bay might get this years vote for favorite anchorage. Days are filled with long hikes and snorkeling with several evenings ending in beach BBQs or card games. The day stops at The Dogs and Fallen Jerusalem are worth mentioning and I wish my underwater camera took better pictures to share with you. We are currently in Dead Man's Bay and Kiaya Moya took us on a 2 1/2 hour hike yesterday afternoon.
Ready for Sunset at Peter island

I hope you all appreciate what I go through to furnish those great pictures! Today we are off to Road Town to pick up a few provisions and then off to Norman Island, the setting for the book Treasure Island.

Marina Cay from Above Trellis Hike

Time flies when your having rum. Out of Africa only has a week left in the BVI so we are close to the end of our circumnavigation of this group of islands before crossing the imaginary line back to the USVI.

Benures Bay, Norman Island


St John has long been a favorite island of mine. Perfect snorkeling is just off sandy beaches with picnic tables and BBQ grills. John and the grill going almost every night and sometimes beach fires as well. An impressive network of hiking trails have been developed and gives us much needed excersise. Jo and John are either trying to kill us or get us in shape, I am not sure which will come first. The pictures, as beautiful as they are, do not to justice to the views we see on these hikes.


Circumnavigating St John by boat and on foot.




Sugarcane ruins, ancient petroglyphs, and breathtaking views


April 30. Goodbye Jo and John, goodbye USVI, goodbye to most fellow cruiser. We are off to Culebra (Spanish Virgins) and Puerto Rico.
Comments
Vessel Name: Nomadic Spirit
Vessel Make/Model: 32' Island Gypsy & 36' Monaco
Crew: Janice & Steve
About:
This adventure began in October of 2007 when Steve came to look at a boat that Janice had for sale on Craig's List. Steve wanted to learn how to sail and Janice needed a new kitchen. [...]
Extra:
FAVORITE QUOTES: 'Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do then by the ones you did. So, throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.' Mark Twain 'We went cruising not to [...]
Nomadic Spirit's Photos - Main
23 Photos
Created 18 August 2020
A collection of our loop segments
14 Photos | 8 Sub-Albums
Created 20 July 2020
25 Photos
Created 9 November 2017
66 Photos
Created 29 September 2017
17 Photos
Created 29 September 2017
94 Photos
Created 4 July 2017
33 Photos
Created 4 July 2017
67 Photos
Created 3 June 2017
26 Photos
Created 30 May 2017
47 Photos
Created 20 February 2017
26 Photos
Created 12 November 2016
3 Photos
Created 31 October 2016
10 Photos
Created 22 September 2016
7 Photos
Created 22 September 2016
5 Photos
Created 22 September 2016
13 Photos
Created 22 September 2016
33 Photos
Created 25 August 2016
23 Photos
Created 5 August 2016
9 Photos
Created 5 August 2016
29 Photos
Created 11 July 2016
31 Photos
Created 9 July 2016
Mamouth Cave NP,Milwaykee, Indiana and Cuyahoga NP,
16 Photos
Created 7 July 2016
16 Photos
Created 19 May 2016
7 Photos
Created 25 March 2016
11 Photos
Created 22 October 2015
29 Photos
Created 16 October 2015
7 Photos
Created 15 October 2015
15 Photos
Created 15 October 2015
6 Photos
Created 15 October 2015
9 Photos
Created 19 September 2015
24 Photos
Created 19 September 2015
35 Photos
Created 22 August 2015
27 Photos
Created 12 July 2015
5 Photos
Created 12 July 2015
12 Photos
Created 12 July 2015
11 Photos
Created 11 July 2015
35 Photos
Created 10 July 2015
8 Photos
Created 28 June 2015
6 Photos
Created 28 June 2015
29 Photos
Created 22 June 2015
Our 'new to us' Monaco 36 with super slide.
7 Photos
Created 21 June 2015
14 Photos
Created 8 June 2015
18 Photos
Created 19 January 2015
10 Photos
Created 28 September 2014
8 Photos
Created 28 September 2014
8 Photos
Created 15 September 2014
12 Photos
Created 15 September 2014
23 Photos
Created 8 September 2014
6 Photos
Created 8 September 2014
17 Photos
Created 8 September 2014
10 Photos
Created 31 August 2014
20 Photos
Created 29 August 2014
My grand sons frog spent time with us on the sea
24 Photos
Created 5 August 2014
My grand daughters pet is traveling with us for the summer.
20 Photos
Created 5 August 2014
27 Photos
Created 3 August 2014
31 Photos
Created 13 July 2014
16 Photos
Created 13 July 2014
52 Photos
Created 8 July 2014
15 Photos
Created 5 July 2014
8 Photos
Created 1 July 2014
10 Photos
Created 22 June 2014
VIRGIN VIEWS
58 Photos
Created 23 March 2014
13 Photos
Created 13 February 2014
11 Photos
Created 26 October 2013
9 Photos
Created 13 September 2013
11 Photos
Created 13 September 2013
Before and after pictures
4 Photos
Created 14 March 2013
10 Photos
Created 12 July 2012
9 Photos
Created 2 May 2012
8 Photos
Created 29 March 2012
7 Photos
Created 29 March 2012
22 Photos
Created 15 February 2012
8 Photos
Created 12 February 2012
22 Photos
Created 19 December 2011
18 Photos
Created 10 December 2011
9 Photos
Created 26 November 2011
20 Photos
Created 10 November 2011
26 Photos
Created 6 August 2011
26 Photos
Created 23 June 2011
17 Photos
Created 23 April 2011
5 Photos
Created 9 April 2011
20 Photos
Created 29 March 2011
19 Photos
Created 18 March 2011
Daughter Amie visits Sailacious
34 Photos
Created 1 March 2011
10 Photos
Created 12 February 2011
8 Photos
Created 16 January 2011
12 Photos
Created 16 January 2011
12 Photos
Created 28 December 2010
7 Photos
Created 28 December 2010
10 Photos
Created 15 December 2010
15 Photos
Created 28 November 2010
24 Photos
Created 21 November 2010
6 Photos
Created 26 October 2010
26 Photos
Created 1 July 2010
31 Photos
Created 15 June 2010
26 Photos
Created 5 June 2010
17 Photos
Created 25 May 2010
12 Photos
Created 25 May 2010
11 Photos
Created 11 May 2010
36 Photos
Created 19 April 2010
5 Photos
Created 14 April 2010
13 Photos
Created 7 April 2010
41 Photos
Created 25 February 2010
18 Photos
Created 5 February 2010
36 Photos
Created 20 January 2010
11 Photos
Created 20 January 2010
Various shots during our time in the Bahamas
59 Photos
Created 25 November 2009
19 Photos
Created 25 October 2009
Our two week Shake Down Cruise
31 Photos
Created 18 May 2009
Sailing with Morgan and Kate on Winergie
15 Photos
Created 4 December 2008
Various pictures of day sails.
10 Photos
Created 5 August 2008
The boat that started it all, the bartered kitchen, and Sailacious
5 Photos | 4 Sub-Albums
Created 6 May 2008
'You're lucky if YOUR LOVE loves what you love the best' Eileen Quinn