sailboat Argonauta

10 August 2018 | Taormina
26 June 2018 | Syracuse
23 June 2018 | Riposto Sicily
23 October 2016 | Santorini Greece
19 October 2016 | Mykanos and Ios
12 October 2016
12 October 2016
12 October 2016
12 October 2016
12 October 2016
26 August 2016 | Dirou Peloponnese
25 August 2016
22 August 2016 | kitres
22 August 2016 | Kalamata
22 August 2016 | Methoni
22 August 2016 | Pilos
22 August 2016 | Katakolon
22 August 2016 | Zackinthos
13 August 2016 | Kastos

Painting her bottom !

11 April 2012 | Fambridge
Cold, Wet & Windy
The work on Argonauta progresses. This Easter weekend we planed to get the bottom of the boat sorted. So Friday morning saw us with sanders in hand smoothing the old girls bottom. Dust and muck abounded all around. I felt slightly sorry for the owner of the glossy black BMW parked in the car park behind us, and hoped we finished before he came back to find his car covered on a thick covering of blue dust. Nathaniel & a friend Michael helped and completed the sanding of the Hull whilst Jackie set to with a wire brush on the drill to the rust spots on the keel. This done we treated the keel to a coat of epoxy primer to seal it and then set to anti-fouling the hull. After a couple of hours the now black hull looked much improved with the first coat. We then beat a hasty retreat before Mr BMW came back.
Next morning we woke to the challenge of getting the second coat on. It was a case of mind willing but bodies certainly weren't . That said we dragged our aching limbs into the car and headed back to the boat again. This time without the assistance of the two young men of yesterday. She seemed to have grown to twice the size overnight. The second coat on the hull was further added to as we now had to cover the keel in anti-fouling as well. Three tins down at £70.00 a tin for anti-fouling and £36.00 for the epoxy primer this was no cheap slap and dash paint job. Argonauta now looks smart with her below waterline area covered in matt black, a bit like a submarine. We still have however to polish the hull, another arm aching exercise. But that will have to wait another week.
Sunday stiffer & with even more aches saw us fitting the fridge components, the keel cooler had been fitted so now we had to run all the pipework to the compressor and drill holes to allow them all to meet up under the cooker. Why do we seem to spend all our time making holes in this craft. At the last count we made 9 additional external holes in her since October. I beginning to think that Edward Lear was right when he stated 'they went to sea in a sieve'! We certainly seem to have enough holes. Following this we fitted our new instrument panel and wired up the new VHF radio and music system the number of wires behind there is a mass of spaghetti but Jackie's thin hands managed to get in and sort it out as Pete's were too big to go through the radios aperture. We will have to wait to next week to see if we've got it all right as we don't have power till then to test with. By now the rain had set in so the sign-age due to be fitted to the outside would have to wait till next week as Monday was a day off and we were due to see Pete's brother and family for the last time before our departure in May.
Vessel Name: Argonauta
Vessel Make/Model: Gibsea422
Hailing Port: North Fambridge, Essex, UK
Crew: Pete & Jackie Jackson
About:
Pete & Jackie Jackson Have given up the rat race for a while to step off earth to explore the world. Jackie has left her job as manager of a care home. Whilst Pete has worked in the photo industry for 27 years. Exploring the chalenges & changes that digital images have brought. [...]
Extra: www.argonauta.co.uk REMEMBER. In the end it's not the years in your life that count, its the life in your years.
Home Page: http://www.argonauta.co.uk/

Argonauta

Who: Pete & Jackie Jackson
Port: North Fambridge, Essex, UK