sailboat Argonauta

10 August 2018 | Taormina
26 June 2018 | Syracuse
23 June 2018 | Riposto Sicily
23 October 2016 | Santorini Greece
19 October 2016 | Mykanos and Ios
12 October 2016
12 October 2016
12 October 2016
12 October 2016
12 October 2016
26 August 2016 | Dirou Peloponnese
25 August 2016
22 August 2016 | kitres
22 August 2016 | Kalamata
22 August 2016 | Methoni
22 August 2016 | Pilos
22 August 2016 | Katakolon
22 August 2016 | Zackinthos
13 August 2016 | Kastos

A series of tight squeezes!!!

22 April 2012 | Fambridge
Jackie
Another weekend and another number of jobs ticked off the list towards the big trip.
The theme this weekend is definitely a bit of a squeeze!
Following the devastating loss of tenant last week all is very quiet and having discussed our options we decided to drop the asking price on the rental of our property. Loss of any income will mean we have less to live on and so the thought of sipping champagne whilst watching the sunset is fading towards sipping value lemonade instead!

So what did we achieve this weekend?
Well we managed to pack the car full to bursting with the boat cushions, vacuum cleaner, ladders, polisher, food, spare clothes, jumpers, coats etc and set off for a weekend on the boat with our first planned stay aboard this year.
We went straight to the chandlery and picked up 2 anodes ( these protect any metal parts from corroding by corroding themselves), wooden plugs – to use should any of the underwater fittings come loose/ break and then the big one 15 metres of anchor chain. Now how do we squeeze this in an already bursting car? Well actually by putting a box on the top of some cushions and then feeding the chain bit by bit into the box!
This achieved we went to the boat.
The weather was sunny but still chilly although I think it has warmed up a little.
Whilst Jackie set too cleaning and hoovering the inside Pete put on the anodes (well one as the other a McDuff was duff and didn't fit properly) and then began moving the cushions from the car to the deck ready to pass down to Jackie.
Jackie also taped the wooden plugs to each of the pipes connected to the stop cocks. Many of the spaces requiring contortion and squeezing into little spaces.
Having cleaned sufficiently we then put the cushions in place, she seems so much more homely with cushions on board.

Then we decided to check under the middle seat to see where we can place a new bilge pump to ensure last year's water logging of the food stored under the floorboards does not happen again. To do this involved removing the central seat. Pete removed the bolts whilst Jackie's small hands again came in useful to hold the spanner in place for the nut. We then lifted the floor and found that there was a water tank right in the way of where we had hoped to site the new pump. Also some really disgusting black stinky water which, you guessed Jackie was then volunteered to delve the depths with a sponge to clean up!
This done we noticed the hose leading from the tank had a very rusty looking jubilee clip. So we decided that we should change it. MISTAKE!!! Having removed the old one it became obvious that someone in the past had broken the fitting and had fixed it by squeezing on a hose then tightening a jubilee clip onto the hose but not the actual fitting. Could this be where the water in the bilges came from ? Whilst trying to establish how we can fix this we discovered leaning on the tank squeesed water out the pipe and so into the bilge. This will need to be welded to sort out. Yet another job to add to the never ending list!!!

We stopped very briefly for a cup of soup and then continued by putting the chair back to make ready for the mattresses we needed to collect from the marina.

The mattresses were ordered this year to replace the rather tired ones on board. We chose to go for a sprung mattress and knew it was going to be a challenge getting it on board.
So off to the marina to find our delivery.
When we say them – oh my! They are huge! We set too carrying them too and squeezing them into the back of Pete's car. They were too long and too wide and we had to fold them slightly to get 2 in. However the boot did not close so Pete made his way carefully back along the ½ mile journey from the marina to where the boat is. Jackie patiently waited in the car park for his return which was surprisingly quick. Final mattress manhandled in and Jackie squeezed into the front seat with knees against the dashboard and nose almost against the window we set off back to the boat. After about 200 yards the boot opened quietly and we were left driving with a very big spoiler.

The boarding of mattresses was something to behold. First mattress, Pete decided he will lift and Jackie will pull up from the deck. Well that was the theory, Pete did his bit perfectly, this is where Jackie realised that she is a wimp and did not have the strength to pull up the heavy mattress alone. Squealing for help brought Pete up the ladder and to her rescue.
Squeezing a double 6 inch thick firm foam mattress into a small hatch and through a cabin door took strength and determination resulting in the lovely new mattress in place ready for use by guests.
One down two to go.
Planning the move for the second ,we thought that this time Jackie would lift and Pete bring on board. After a sort of manic dance, several grunts and the giggles it was obvious this would not happen, Jackie could not even get it upright let alone lift it.
So Pete gallantly came back down the ladder and lifted the mattress. Jackie on deck took the strain, fell over and clung on for dear life until Pete arrived to the rescue again.
This time having removed the outer packaging the mattress was in 2 parts so not as hard to get on board.
Final one..... having watched our efforts a man working on a nearby boat came to offer help. He lifted, we pulled on board and hey presto final one on deck. Pete then moved the mattress(again thankfully in 2 parts) into place and we collapsed exhausted for a while.

Having had a short rest and drink Pete finally completed the fridge install by screwing the holding board into place. He had to squeeze what is a bigger unit into a hole barely big enough. Still he did it and the cover fits without bulging.
Dinner was on board and sweet chilli salmon with baby sweetcorn and noodles was devoured by 2 very hungry workers.

It was a fairly windy night and the rigging continued its rattling late into the night. However the 7 inch sprung mattress we have treated ourselves too was comfortable and we were cosy in our cabin.

Sunday brought sunshine and wind.
Pete set too applying rubbing compound to the hull followed by polishing. This statement does nothing to explain the enormity of the job. 42 feet x 2 for each side then repeated twice more. Arm aching, back breaking work.
Jackie pottered about inside, cleaning, tidying cables, replacing bits removed to undertake work and generally making things a little more ship shape.
An emergency run to Halfords (15 miles away) for spare polishing bonnets gave Jackie a little rest and she returned with vanilla latte and muffin for Pete as a reward for his hard work.

So the afternoon went and as the wind reached 35 knots we decided we had been working hard and long enough and re packed the car – this time with room to spare and set off home.
Of course having so much stuff in the car means moving it all when you get home so again we unpacked the boot.

These weekends are really taking their toll on us and as we raced to see who would get in the bath first we did consider one solution.... sharing the bath... Now that really would be A BIT OF A SQUEEZE!!!
Vessel Name: Argonauta
Vessel Make/Model: Gibsea422
Hailing Port: North Fambridge, Essex, UK
Crew: Pete & Jackie Jackson
About:
Pete & Jackie Jackson Have given up the rat race for a while to step off earth to explore the world. Jackie has left her job as manager of a care home. Whilst Pete has worked in the photo industry for 27 years. Exploring the chalenges & changes that digital images have brought. [...]
Extra: www.argonauta.co.uk REMEMBER. In the end it's not the years in your life that count, its the life in your years.
Home Page: http://www.argonauta.co.uk/

Argonauta

Who: Pete & Jackie Jackson
Port: North Fambridge, Essex, UK