sailboat Argonauta

10 August 2018 | Taormina
26 June 2018 | Syracuse
23 June 2018 | Riposto Sicily
23 October 2016 | Santorini Greece
19 October 2016 | Mykanos and Ios
12 October 2016
12 October 2016
12 October 2016
12 October 2016
12 October 2016
26 August 2016 | Dirou Peloponnese
25 August 2016
22 August 2016 | kitres
22 August 2016 | Kalamata
22 August 2016 | Methoni
22 August 2016 | Pilos
22 August 2016 | Katakolon
22 August 2016 | Zackinthos
13 August 2016 | Kastos

Sciiliy bound

01 July 2013 | Trapani
Pete
As I sit and write this in the cockpit, Argonata is resting on Her mooring in the outer harbour of Trapani on the North-western edge of Sicily. We arrived here last night after a 38 hour passage from Sardinia.

We had anchored in Budello Tower Anchorage when we arrived in Sardinia, along with 4 other boats, (French, Swedish, American & German) By 16:00 hours all the others in the rising wind had dragged there anchors and decided to move to Porto Teulada Marina. Pulling up massive clumps of weed as the anchors came up. We decided to let out out a bit (well Double) more chain and Jackie dived into the now small white horses on the surface to snorkel over the anchor. She reported it was well dug in on a sandy part or the sea bed so we decided to risk it and stay.

The wind picked up and we were then stuck there for three days with winds touching 45 knots. Despite concerns a few time she stayed put and as the wind was coming over the tops of the nearby mountains the sea never got to more than a small chop. One up for the Plucky Brits I'd say!

Whilst waiting for the wind to blow itself out, Jackie for the first time in two years cracked out the water colours and painted the cliff scene to our port. (can be seen on our Facebook page)

We left early on Wednesday and had a storming downwind sail in 25knots of wind to Cagliari. We kept pace with a bigger German 50ft yacht and a 41ft catamaran which left the marina at the same time both of which on paper should have left us standing so were very pleased with the sail. Cagliari is a Large city with oil terminal, Container port, Cruise ship terminal as well as several marinas. There was no place to anchor so after calling two marina we choose the cheapest and went into a berth for the night. Taking two attempts at Med mooring we got in next to a large Australian catamaran without incident ( maybe we are finally getting the hang of this stern too stuff)
[Jackie – Saying that's now stuffed on our next attempt].

We got out the bikes and went ashore. Our main reason for choosing such a large port was to get a Italian SIM so our data charges are reduced. You can only do so much sitting on Café wifi before the waiter starts hovering to take away your cup! To cut a long story short the first one we bought failed so had to return next day to the same shop. Turns out it was not compatible with our UK Myfi device. It would work in Pete's old Blackberry though. It was whilst getting this set up that we were involved in a drama! Another customer in the shop whilst talking on her phone slumped to the ground unconscious. Pete was able to grab her and so gently laid her on the ground. Jackie came round to help. The lady then started fitting and poor Jackie got covered as holding the lady’s head she vomited all over the place. Eventually we got her into a recovery position and she came round but Jackie needed a change of outfit before going on any further. The paramedics were then called and checked the victim out. We returned to the boat and decided to stay a second night.
That afternoon we got chatting to the Aussie on the catamaran 'Gerry' (no! The bloke was called Gerry the Cameraman was called Pagan) Pete ended helping him secure his wind generator. So that evening to thank us for the help he took us to the marina bar and bought us a few drinks, then we shared a Pizza meal at the local swimming club [a hidden venue we would not have found if Gerry had not known about it]. All in all a very pleasant evening.

The next day we bit the bullet and purchased a Vodafone Myfi unit that we can then just purchase new sim cards for as we change countries.

The wind was picking up when we returned to the marina and not wanting to stay a further night we hastened to leave. Jackie Helming a perfect exit from a very tight berth. We sailed around the headland a voyage of no more than 5 miles and dropped the hook off a busy beach filled with holiday makers. As the winds were still building windsurfers zig-zagged through the anchored yachts the whoosh as they approached close could be quite disconcerting. We planned to leave for Scilly the next day and as the dinghy & Outboard were packed away we stayed on-board that night not wanting the hassle of unpacking and repacking. Though, the shore did look an interesting place to visit.

Next morning at 08:00hrs we lifted the anchor and sailed out of the bay along the coast to the nature reserve of Capo Cabinara & the off-lying island of Cavoli. The winds 'typical when we want them' were light so we risked putting up the cruising chute and were soon scooting along at 6 knots in the light breeze. As the day went on and we cleared land the wind picked up and so did our speed topping out at 8.9 knots a great and exhilarating ride. By early evening the winds (as they do in the Med) died and we were left with no choice to put the engine on. Then came the roly waves we rolled from one toe rail in the water and then the other side dipped then back again. And so it continued all night! Jackie was not a happy bunny! Next day things continued in a similar fashion till we sighted the island of Marittimo which looked like a giant volcano sticking out of the sea with complimentary smoke courtesy of clouds 'the only ones in the sky' gripping the peak of the island. We sailed past and are now anchored in Trapani outer harbour and have been given authorisation from Trapani VTS to stay a maximum of 48 hours.

More on our adventures ashore – Next Blog.
Comments
Vessel Name: Argonauta
Vessel Make/Model: Gibsea422
Hailing Port: North Fambridge, Essex, UK
Crew: Pete & Jackie Jackson
About:
Pete & Jackie Jackson Have given up the rat race for a while to step off earth to explore the world. Jackie has left her job as manager of a care home. Whilst Pete has worked in the photo industry for 27 years. Exploring the chalenges & changes that digital images have brought. [...]
Extra: www.argonauta.co.uk REMEMBER. In the end it's not the years in your life that count, its the life in your years.
Home Page: http://www.argonauta.co.uk/

Argonauta

Who: Pete & Jackie Jackson
Port: North Fambridge, Essex, UK