"sailing family"

Vessel Name: Island Spirit
Vessel Make/Model: 2005 Fontaine Pajot Bahia
Hailing Port: St Thomas,crown bay
Crew: Tom, Rhonda, Savannah, Slugger, Lexie & Beetlejuice
About:
On 12/27/10 the truck loaded 750 lbs. of things we thought we could not live without. (we'll see) And today is my last official day of work! On 01/07/11 we will arrive in St. Thomas, VI, take the ferry to Roadtown, Tortola & spend the first night in our new home, "Island Spirit. [...]
Extra:
The crew.. Tom & I are in our early 40's (very young!) and Savannah is our beautiful 7 yr. old daughter. Slugger, Lexie & Beetlejuice are the furrier side of the family I refuse to leave behind. We love the ocean, sun & sailing. Quite simply, we are a family that is in need of a change so we [...]
13 May 2011
12 May 2011
10 May 2011 | from Dry Tortugas
02 May 2011 | Louisville, Ky.
24 April 2011
23 April 2011
15 April 2011
04 April 2011 | Water Island, USVI
21 March 2011 | bvi's
15 March 2011
07 March 2011
02 March 2011
26 February 2011
26 February 2011
23 February 2011
20 February 2011
18 February 2011 | Culebrita, Puerto Rico
15 February 2011 | Water Island, USVI
10 February 2011
Recent Blog Posts
13 May 2011

May 13, 2011

12 May 2011

May 12, 2011

10 May 2011 | from Dry Tortugas

May 10, 2011

07 May 2011

Key West here we come!!

May 6, 2011

02 May 2011 | Louisville, Ky.

May 2, 2011

24 April 2011

Happy Easter

April 24, 2011

04 April 2011 | Water Island, USVI
Rhonda
April 4, 2011
Monday

Hi All,

Just got back from the laundry mat or sweat mill, whatever it is. Seven kitchen size garbage bags of clothes, sheets and towels. Tom drove me to the marina nearby for the weekly act of futility that he usually takes on for us. When I say he drove me, of course that means by dinghy. He was happy to do so, since we have just one, “vehicle” and he wouldn’t be stranded on the boat without transportation (besides swimming) while I was gone.

Speaking of vehicle, the dinghy was taking on a lot of water here recently. We thought there was a hole in the bottom. The bottom is made of some type of hard plastic and the sides are a thick rubber type stuff. Anyway, I thought maybe I was to blame for what was going on with it because I had a minor accident with the dinghy last week while out hunting for sea glass. I beached it, well, just a little and it kinda got stuck if you know what I mean.

Anyway, I can make this admission now without feeling too bad as the reason it was sinking was because the plug was gone. The dinghy was taking on water in the cavity between the floor of the dinghy and the underneath part. Kind of hard to explain, but we have been traveling around with who knows how much extra weight under the boat until it got so full it was coming out this small cubby.

Since it is Spring Break in Louisville this week we decided to observe it here also, meaning, no school. I’m not sure who is more happy about it and all I know is, whatever we were paying Eastside Christian Academy to teach her, was not enough! This teaching stuff requires a lot of patience and hard work!

Last week my friend Dana Grauer came for a visit. We had a great time sailing around and showing her our favorite spots. She said the boat rocked her to sleep every night! One night we went to Virgin Gorda in the British Virgin Islands and went to Happy Arrrr to see Michael Bean, the entertainer who plays the harmonica, drums and guitar at one time while telling pirate jokes. We all put on our eye patches and Bubba Teeth and made a fine Kentucky impression! We dressed Slugger in a home made pirate bandana and wrote a pirate toast on his behalf. Tom held up Slugger for everyone to see as we read the toast… “Here’s to Slugger the pirate dog. He helps me home after too much grog…. there is more to it, but let’s just say it was a fun Happy Arrr and I don’t remember the rest. Also, that night I entered the Conch Blowing Contest and won 1st place (for the girls)! Woo-hoo aren’t you proud of me now mom?!

We also went to Foxy’s at Jost Van Dyke and danced and ate their yummy bbq dinner. I was sure to take the 5200 Marine Glue that is supposed to be able to hold better than the best duct tape and I, “secured Rosemary’s bra” (see last post for details) so it will be there for everyone to see, always!

The other day Tom was being teacher for Savannah and I overheard a conversation that went something like this, “Savannah, what is that word you wrote there? I can’t read it. ‘It’s broom daddy.’ “Savannah, that sentence doesn’t make sense.” ‘Yes it does Daddy. There is more than one kind of broom you know.’ “O.k. Savannah tell me about the brooms you know about.” ‘There is the broom you sweep with and the broom that walks down the aisle with the bride.’ “Honey, that’s groom. It’s the bride and the groom.“ Enough said. It was all I could do to not bust out laughing.

Tonight Captain Wally will fly in about 8:30. He is who we have hired to help us sail from here to the Bahamas. I understand he sometimes goes by Captain Ron. Hmmm, could be interesting! At this time our plan is to leave sometime next week. We will spend a few days in Puerto Rico, then the Turks & Caicos and then to the Bahamas. There are several overnight passages so we thought it best to have some help since we are still very much rookies!

All for now,
Rhonda







Comments

About & Links

SailBlogs Groups