Sailing Joy

24 November 2019 | Capsized at Entrance to St Simon's Sound
06 October 2019 | At Sea with the Big Boys
19 April 2019 | Storm Approaching
11 April 2019 | SpaceX Launch
05 April 2019 | One of our passer bys while anchored at Ft Pierce
04 April 2019 | AIS Image of Caribbean and SW North Atlantic
01 April 2019 | Leaving key West
28 March 2019 | St Patrick's Day 5k
28 March 2019 | Diana's Barracuda
28 March 2019 | Fishing from Lucky Charm
28 March 2019 | Bandstand at Irish Kevin's
28 March 2019 | Clean-up on Bahia Honda
02 March 2019 | Entering Key West Bight
27 February 2019 | Storm at Seven Mile Bridge
26 February 2019
22 February 2019 | Clubhoouse at Chub Cay
06 February 2019 | Definition of Cruising: Fixing your boat in exotic places
28 January 2019 | Kids Swinging on Chat 'N Chill Beach
18 January 2019 | Our anchorage at George Town
11 January 2019 | Our friends from Arcadia at Hidden Treasures

Tampa Bay and Crab Pot Dimentia

02 February 2017 | Dali Museum
We arrived Tampa Bay after a 70 mile long day run from Boca Grande north to Bradenton. The last two days have been rolling due to the west waves from the storm but we motor sailed both to make the 100 plus miles to Bradenton. It will be as far north as we go, staying a week to visit with old friends.
Now the rant... I am convinced that every inch of sea off the Florida west coast is strewn with crab pots. We have to keep a continual eye out for them, weave the boat through them, even "think" we see them but end up with a mirage. We see them even in our sleep...... so Diana came up with a non-sailor's analogy for the crab pot dilemma. Imagine driving down the highway, for hundreds of miles, the highway is different colors, and there are 1,000 men, each with a bag of nails. Now these are not ordinary nails, they are all different colors, some match the color of the road, some don't. The men distribute their bag of nails wherever they want over the length and width of the road, there is no rhyme nor reason, no pattern, and you have to stay on the road without getting a flat tire ! Drives you crazy, right?
So we arrive in Tampa Bay, an exciting place because the Bay is huge as we enter from the Gulf, and the famous "Sunshine SkyBridge" is in the distance in front of us. It's late so instead of proceeding up the Manatee River where we have a marina reservation, we anchor at the mouth of the river to proceed in the morning. NOW, we begin to wonder why we have come NORTH again, it's cold here ! Break out the winter clothes, the comforter for the bed and sweaters and jackets. In the morning we move up the river to Twin Dolphins Marina where we have reserved a slip for a week. Over the next week we will visit with old friends, and enjoy the benefits of the marina and all the surrounding activities including a visit to the Salvadore Dali Museum in St. Petersburg.
Twin Dolphins is a very nice marina with a great staff and excellent facilities. We have been in contact with old friends, some going back to High School, and both Diana and I are looking forward to the reunions. Joan and Alan, friends of Diana's since High School, winter here on Anna Maria Island. They pick us up and take us to their home for a lovely dinner. A group of old friends from Surrattsville High come to the boat for a visit. It was wonderful seeing Chooch and Phil Foster and Sandy, and we spent an entire afternoon at Pier22 laughing and telling stories. John and Renee from Pamlico Plantation now live here, Diana spend one day with Renee and we all went to dinner at Brick's in the historic Old Main Street area of Bradenton.
The week has flown by, and we are getting ready to again depart and head south, back to Ft Meyers for another week, then on to Key West. We have enjoyed it, especially seeing old friends that we have lost track of.
One other thing I have to include...we are having a wonderful time discovering small out of the way "hole in the wall" restaurants! We both love Peruvian food, and in each port we look for one nearby. Tonight it was El Warike, a small bay in a local strip center. In Miami it was El Rancito. These are the kind of places you might look at and think twice about going in, but we are discovering a hidden treasure. The proprietor's are wonderful, usually family operated with the owner also the cook (they would never think of it as the chef) the ambiance very ethic, simply stated, but the food has been magnificent. Peruvian ceviche is one of our favorite dishes, maybe when we get enough of these accumulated we can write a guide book to all the wonderful ceviche dishes we have found in Florida !

Comments
Vessel Name: Joy
Vessel Make/Model: Catalina Morgan 440
Hailing Port: Vandemere, NC
Crew: John Lark and Diana Borja
About:
John has extensive racing experience on Lasers in Regional races near St Louis and in National competition and previously owned an Erickson 34 and a Sabre 38. Diana has also raced as crew on C&Cs, J14, J36 and on her Ranger 26 (Tango). [...]
Extra: John and Diana moved to the Pamlico Plantation near Washington, NC in September of 2018.
Social:
Joy's Photos - Main
20 Photos
Created 2 December 2018
Photos taken at St. Mary's for the Cruisers Thanksgiving
2 Photos
Created 23 November 2018
Misc photos of 2017-18 cruise
5 Photos
Created 1 May 2018
Hopetown is a lovely island with one of the most picturesque towns
8 Photos
Created 30 April 2018
4 Photos
Created 30 April 2018
These were shot from Kurt's Drone off the bow on Arctic cat
2 Photos
Created 30 April 2018
3 Photos
Created 13 March 2018
Governors Harbour, Eleuthera
3 Photos
Created 2 March 2018
A few photos of one of our favorite Cities during our Winter Wonderland stop!
4 Photos
Created 3 January 2018
2 Photos
Created 18 January 2017
2 Photos
Created 6 January 2017
3 Photos
Created 6 January 2017
Museum and Gardens in South Miami
1 Photo
Created 6 January 2017
3 Photos
Created 11 December 2016
No Photos
Created 6 December 2016
5 Photos
Created 24 November 2016
5 Photos
Created 1 November 2016
Our day at the Farmers Market in Charleston
5 Photos
Created 3 October 2016