Sailing Joy

24 November 2019 | Capsized at Entrance to St Simon's Sound
06 October 2019 | At Sea with the Big Boys
19 April 2019 | Storm Approaching
11 April 2019 | SpaceX Launch
05 April 2019 | One of our passer bys while anchored at Ft Pierce
04 April 2019 | AIS Image of Caribbean and SW North Atlantic
01 April 2019 | Leaving key West
28 March 2019 | St Patrick's Day 5k
28 March 2019 | Diana's Barracuda
28 March 2019 | Fishing from Lucky Charm
28 March 2019 | Bandstand at Irish Kevin's
28 March 2019 | Clean-up on Bahia Honda
02 March 2019 | Entering Key West Bight
27 February 2019 | Storm at Seven Mile Bridge
26 February 2019
22 February 2019 | Clubhoouse at Chub Cay
06 February 2019 | Definition of Cruising: Fixing your boat in exotic places
28 January 2019 | Kids Swinging on Chat 'N Chill Beach
18 January 2019 | Our anchorage at George Town
11 January 2019 | Our friends from Arcadia at Hidden Treasures

Beach Marine - Jacksonville

19 January 2018 | Joy at Beach Marine
Never did we dream that we would still be in Northern Florida, still fighting bad weather and freezing temperatures at this point. We escaped Charleston at 7AM on the 8th of January. After single digit weather, 6 inches of snow on the boat, rain and fog. The morning was still cold, roughly 30 degrees, but the forecast was to gradually warm during the day and the prospect was that we could sail some of the trip south to St. Mary's Inlet and Florida. In the past, St. Mary's meant time to break out the shorts and tee shirts, we like the anchorage, and have fond memories of last year there for Thanksgiving with a couple hundred other cruisers. The day was somewhat uneventful, cold but manageable and we motor sailed about half the day until the wind shifted southwest on our nose. Through the night was a bit different, it was a very dark, no moon and the sea and sky blended together like just a huge black void. There were no stars due to overcast conditions the only sparkle an occasional ripple on a wave and we rarely passed any lights on shore. The winds began to build late, and as forecast, we passed through a couple of squalls pushing the winds up to 20 plus knts, but with enough angle that we could turn off the engine and sailed a brisk 7-8 knts with no sound except the sea and the flag on the stern straight out like a piece of cardboard. It rained, but never heavy and as the squalls dissipated the sky began to open up to millions of stars, that stayed with us the rest of the night. As we passed the inlet to Savannah, GA it seemed like the sea was suddenly populated by dozens of tankers. At 2 AM, we found ourselves weaving through anchored tankers and cargo ships all awaiting their entrance to the shipping channel with only AIS, anchor and navigation lights to signal their positions.
With daylight approaching, it became evident that we were headed into a dense fog. It surrounded us about 8 miles out of the St Mary's Inlet Channel, and there was no indication that it was going to let up. With Diana at the helm, I watched through the fog, visible about 50 yards in front, both of us hoping this wasn't a day when the submarines left Kings Bay Naval Base out the same inlet. We crept along, eyes steady ahead and on AIS for any exiting traffic. After another hour we turned into the St. Mary's River, Georgia on our right, Florida on our left and followed our old track up the river to the harbor and safe anchorage.
St. Mary's is a lovely, quiet anchorage, the marshes on one side and a quaint small town on the other. We planned to stay only one day, but decided conditions were not good to go outside again so remained at anchor another day. It was surprising to see the damage hurricane Irma did to this little town. Their docks were nearly all destroyed, the only marina in town, Lang's, closed due to damage with uncertain rumors about possibly rebuilding.
Each day the fog was dense, not lifting until early afternoon which made progress difficult due to limited hours of daylight. On the third day, as the fog lifted in the harbor, we decided it was clear enough to move, take the ICW and continue south, as far as we could and anchor to proceed on the next day to St, Augustine. We got out to the river's mouth, at the ICW, and found the fog still so thick, and getting worse, that we could barely see in front of the boat. We turned around, went back to St. Mary's harbor and anchored again. The fourth day was forecast for dense fog, and we wondered if we would ever get out ! St. Augustine was 50 miles south, we planned to take the ICW there to see friends. I plotted out all the anchorages, and possible marinas because of the cold conditions and we agreed that as soon as the fog lifted the next morning we would leave, get as far as we could with daylight and keep moving trying to get to St. Augustine before the next front and freezing temperatures hit us again.
That fourth morning was a surprise, fog early but lifting quickly and only light fog still around at 9 AM. We brought up the anchor and set off, feeling we could make most of the 50 miles that day. The forecast was for rain, overcast and cold with another cold front through the next day, and still another deeper front in a couple more days. St. Augustine had limited slips available due to damages from Irma, and with temperatures forecast into the 20's we were considering other options. As we continued south, wet and cold, we pulled into Beach Marine in Jacksonville Beach for the night. Upon arrival, we decided to stay here a week, wait out the weather and once again enjoy the benefits of shore power in the marina....mainly heat ! So we are still here... another big cold front Wednesday night and the plans to move again on Saturday, sail outside south to Ft. Pierce. The location is good, everything we need is close by, restaurants on site, and the opportunity to see friends here rather than at St, Augustine. Meet new cruising friends in the Marina, and prepare our next leg. Welcome to Florida !
Comments
Vessel Name: Joy
Vessel Make/Model: Catalina Morgan 440
Hailing Port: Vandemere, NC
Crew: John Lark and Diana Borja
About:
John has extensive racing experience on Lasers in Regional races near St Louis and in National competition and previously owned an Erickson 34 and a Sabre 38. Diana has also raced as crew on C&Cs, J14, J36 and on her Ranger 26 (Tango). [...]
Extra: John and Diana moved to the Pamlico Plantation near Washington, NC in September of 2018.
Social:
Joy's Photos - Main
20 Photos
Created 2 December 2018
Photos taken at St. Mary's for the Cruisers Thanksgiving
2 Photos
Created 23 November 2018
Misc photos of 2017-18 cruise
5 Photos
Created 1 May 2018
Hopetown is a lovely island with one of the most picturesque towns
8 Photos
Created 30 April 2018
4 Photos
Created 30 April 2018
These were shot from Kurt's Drone off the bow on Arctic cat
2 Photos
Created 30 April 2018
3 Photos
Created 13 March 2018
Governors Harbour, Eleuthera
3 Photos
Created 2 March 2018
A few photos of one of our favorite Cities during our Winter Wonderland stop!
4 Photos
Created 3 January 2018
2 Photos
Created 18 January 2017
2 Photos
Created 6 January 2017
3 Photos
Created 6 January 2017
Museum and Gardens in South Miami
1 Photo
Created 6 January 2017
3 Photos
Created 11 December 2016
No Photos
Created 6 December 2016
5 Photos
Created 24 November 2016
5 Photos
Created 1 November 2016
Our day at the Farmers Market in Charleston
5 Photos
Created 3 October 2016