Sailing Nokomis

25 February 2015 | Barker's Island Marina
14 February 2015 | I do not know where I am
12 February 2015 | Cracker Boy Marina
03 February 2015 | Cracker Boy Marina
01 February 2015 | Riviera Beach Marina
31 January 2015 | West Palm Beach
30 January 2015 | West Palm Beach
25 January 2015 | Mid-Atlantic
18 January 2015 | Sailing past Tarifa
10 January 2015 | Tivat, Montenegro
07 January 2015 | Monfalcone, Italy
03 January 2015 | Aegean Sea
27 December 2014 | Gemlik, Turkey
21 December 2014 | Or is she?
12 November 2014 | Ronda
08 November 2014 | Gibraltar
31 October 2014 | On the beach
28 October 2014 | Lagos
24 October 2014 | Lagos, Portugal
23 October 2014 | West coast of Portugal

and the dog won

25 September 2012 | Castletownshend
Vicki
We are now in Castle Haven, a wonderful, sheltered harbor off of Castletownshend. Went ashore and hike up the hill to a ring fort, great views of the ocean and the land. So much of Ireland that we have seen is where the land meets the ocean that is a shock to climb a hill and look landward. We kind of forget there is more to Ireland than the seashore.
Walking down the hill we heard a little dog yipping and remarked that in two months in Ireland, that was the first dog we had heard making noise. And there are a lot of dogs in Ireland, mostly off-leash but usually well behaved. Not this one, he came barreling out of the yard, up the hill and bit me! And then he would not back down and kept coming at us. We had to do the alpha male thing and start attacking him. Finally the owners came out and got him away. I don't think I have ever seen Paul so mad. We went into the local pub, they knew right away which dog it was and they called the Garda for us. Found out the dog is supposed to be wearing a mussle, has bitten before and one woman in the bar was bitten twice. I don't understand dog owners like that. Had to go to the nearest doctor in Skibbereen for antibiotics because he is a farm dog.
If you ever make it to Castletownshend go to the pub Mary Ann's, the food is to die for. We had blue mussel from Roaring Water Bay (one bay over) and shrimp from the area. So good! We are going back tonight for dessert!
Lately, everyone we meet asks us if O'Bama will be winning again. They are proud of his Irish heritage. I guess Obama was in Dublin earlier this year to have large crowds meet him and they are waiting a longer visit next spring that he has promised. People are so up on the US news here.
Did you know Ireland has already has two female presidents, Mary Robinson and Mary McCluskey? I asked the waitress how they managed to pull that off and she said it was because they are so fiesty!
Comments
Vessel Name: Nokomis
Vessel Make/Model: Pacific Seacraft Crealock 37
Hailing Port: Minneapolis, MN USA
Crew: Vicki & Paul
About: Vicki and Paul Have sailed Nokomis on Lake Superior from 2002 until 2011.
Extra:
Beside sailing they enjoy nature hikes, cross country skiing, bicycling, and to kayak. In 2011 we sailed through the Great Lakes and have put Nokomis up for the winter in North Tonnawanda, NY. 2012 begins our grand adventure... sailing out the St. Lawrence onto Newfoundland and the [...]
Nokomis's Photos - Main
European travels
3 Photos
Created 29 February 2012
4 Photos
Created 29 February 2012