Still here - dejavuevicki
2012/07/07, Little St. Lawrence Harbor
Surprise! We are still in Little St. Lawrence Harbor. The weather didn't turn out as planned, so we took the safe option and stayed put. We are definitely now on the Atlantic Ocean and feel a need to be safe. The two days at anchor have been productive. I finished the 990 knots, the 660 webbing into the line and the drogue is now complete. Paul did get the solenoid switch to work for propane so we don't have to go out back to open the tank every time we want to cook. Plus he worked on the hinges for the cockpit compartments to make them safer in case of a boarding wave and made the companionway hatch more secure. So we are getting ready for the big crossing. We are hoping to leave today, if so we should be in St. John's by Monday. Wish us luck!
On to St. John'sVicki
2012/07/05, Little St. Lawrence Harbor
Today we leave for St. John's, should take us less than two days to get there. We have many things to accomplish on the boat before heading across for Ireland. It has been so foggy and damp that we are thinking of adding a heater before we cross. It will be damp in Ireland, so it makes sense to figure out a way to stay warmer and dryer.
2012/06/29, Port aux Basques
We are still here! We woke up Friday morning, all ready to head out bright and early and get some miles behind us. Already have been here 8 days. Paul went to make coffee and the stove would not work. Full day of working on it and still frustrated. My heart goes out to Paul, he works so hard on this. I try to ask questions to help him figure it out, but this one really rests on his shoulder. I am the loving wife and keep feeding him food. Plus keep working on the drogue. I have to thread 660 pieces of webbing into the double-braid line and then tie 660 knots. My fingers are killing. But every knot I put in, I think, in a bad storm this may make the difference.
And still more weatherVicki
2012/06/27, Port aux Basques
Sigh, and bigger sigh. We were hoping to be out of here on Tuesday. But the wind and weather says no. Maybe Thursday, but more likely on Friday. Tuesday evening the wind and waves got so big, and the front of our boat is just sticking out from the wharf a little bit too much, that we had to go out and check all the dock lines. We put rubber hoses everywhere we could to prevent chafe. And we put out FOUR docklines off the bow. We have back-ups for our back-ups for the back-ups. And, of course, the boaty was rocking and rolling, kind of jerky. I had to put cushions on the floor and sleep there so as to not get sea-sick.
2012/06/26, Port aux Basques
Still here, decided to go for a walk out to the shore to take a look at the wind and waves. Yes, indeed, the wind is coming strong, right on the nose and we can'.t head out yet.
Port aux BasquesVick
We have spent the last several days tearing the boat apart to clean up all the wet spots and did many, many loads of laundry. Paul is also making changes to the anchor arrangement so we don't get so much water in, and we re-bedded a cleat. Plus, we are catching up on our sleep, this last trip took a lot out of both of us. Still have a couple of projects and then we can head off.