Sailing around the Caribbean

In 2007 our family sailed from the Chesapeake Bay to the Caribbean, visiting most of the islands and stopping in Cartagena, Colombia for hurricane season. We just returned to the Chesapeake after visiting many Central American countries and islands.

11 July 2009 | Kikuyu in Annapolis Harbor, Looking toward the City
29 June 2009 | The National Young Women's Sailing Competition in Hampton
15 June 2009 | Fort Sumter, Charleston Harbor
02 June 2009 | Kennedy Space Center
01 June 2009 | Beaudacious and Third Boat that Joined us at Anchor in Fort Pierce
31 May 2009 | Our Friends Beaudacions' Mast was Taller than Most Bridges when Opened
25 May 2009 | View of a Canal from Las Olas Marina Boulevard
21 May 2009 | Approaching Miami Harbor
18 May 2009 | One of the Six-toed Cats Sleeping on Hemingway's Master Bed
16 May 2009 | Approaching Key West - Daniel at the bow trying to see land with the binoculars
08 May 2009 | Main Town Harbor
06 May 2009 | Maya Ritual Reenactment
29 April 2009 | Town's Harbor
27 April 2009 | Daniel at the Blue Hole
25 April 2009 | The Weather Turned Bad
22 April 2009 | View of City from Kikuyu
21 April 2009 | Dangriga Harbor -Daniel doing school work!
19 April 2009 | Whale Shark, Picture by Chelsea Tolppanen
15 April 2009 | kikuyu in the Middle at Anchor in East Harbor

Grenada: The Island of Spice!

07 May 2008 | St. George's Harbor
We arrived to Grenada at dusk after having left Trinidad at 5 in the morning. We were fortunate to meet wonderful friends from the US, Barbara & Jim Wallace (boat Contrails), who are also headed our way all the way to Cartagena, Colombia. We had a great sail with Contrails, with good winds helping us get to St. George's, the Capital of Grenada, in 13.5 hours. The trip, however, was not without incident. A pirogue with 4-6 big man suddenly intercepted Kikuyu's bow about 50 miles north of Trinidad (approximate latitude 11 deg 24 Min North, longitude 61 deg 37.6 Min West). Kim, who was at the cockpit at the time, swiftly took the helm and steered Kikuyu West to avoid this pirogue which speeded south past our starboard side while the men seemed to be checking us out. They disappeared after a few minutes as the waves (3-6 feet high at this time) made it impossible to see them. We kept a close watch on the horizon as we have heard that a strategy pirates take is to approach a boat, "size" it and its crew and later re-appear to attack. Thank goodness our friends from Contrails were just about 300 yards away from us and we think this help deter them - we never saw this pirogue again! Though we are not sure they were pirates their behavior was unusual as they were not fishing and there was not land to go to nearby.

When we arrived to Grenada we anchored between the channel entrance to the lagoon off St. George's and Ross Point which is a very open bay (St. Martin's Bay) and a good place to spend the night prior to entering the lagoon. The next morning we came into the lagoon, a calm body of water right off St. George's, and spent the next hour trying to anchor on soft mud which is what is at its bottom. Our friends from Contrails who had come in earlier were still trying to find a spot which gave us an indication of the difficulty of getting one's anchor to set. Once we got it to set, however, the holding has been pretty good though we have been vigilant since Contrails dragged on the first day and boats around it were squirming to get out of its way until two sailors got on it and dropped a second anchor. As we've said before, there is always something exciting going on when sailing so much so that we now understand why this lifestyle never gets boring!

During our trip from Trinidad when a large wave hit our boat Daniel saw something fly off the stern of our boat - our outboard engine had jumped off its cradle and fallen into the ocean! Though we were going to replace it soon, losing it this way reminded us of how easily we can lose things from Kikuyu during sailing. We had to put things back on Kikuyu the night before, including the outboard engine, after all the work had been completed in Trinidad a day later than anticipated and, most likely, our motor was not as well attached as it has been in the past. Therefore, in the lagoon we have been practicing the art of rowing and Daniel is getting pretty good at it.
Comments
Vessel Name: Kikuyu
Vessel Make/Model: Hallberg-Rassy 37
Hailing Port: Norfolk, VA
Crew: Cunningham's (Captain: Kim; Crew: Maria & Daniel
About: Maria E. Ramos and Daniel Cunningham
Extra:
We are delighted to have you as a visitor to our site. Our family (Dad-Kim, Mom-Maria, 12-year-old son: Daniel) started our cruising adventure in our minds a few years ago. We slowly began to take steps toward achieving this dream. In November of 2007 we departed Annapolis, MD in the Chesapeake [...]
Home Page: www.sailingourway.com

Sailing Our Way

Who: Cunningham's (Captain: Kim; Crew: Maria & Daniel
Port: Norfolk, VA
Our Pictures
Kikuyu and its crew