Sailing around the Caribbean

In 2007 our family sailed from the Chesapeake Bay to the Caribbean, visiting most of the islands and stopping in Cartagena, Colombia for hurricane season. We just returned to the Chesapeake after visiting many Central American countries and islands.

11 July 2009 | Kikuyu in Annapolis Harbor, Looking toward the City
29 June 2009 | The National Young Women's Sailing Competition in Hampton
15 June 2009 | Fort Sumter, Charleston Harbor
02 June 2009 | Kennedy Space Center
01 June 2009 | Beaudacious and Third Boat that Joined us at Anchor in Fort Pierce
31 May 2009 | Our Friends Beaudacions' Mast was Taller than Most Bridges when Opened
25 May 2009 | View of a Canal from Las Olas Marina Boulevard
21 May 2009 | Approaching Miami Harbor
18 May 2009 | One of the Six-toed Cats Sleeping on Hemingway's Master Bed
16 May 2009 | Approaching Key West - Daniel at the bow trying to see land with the binoculars
08 May 2009 | Main Town Harbor
06 May 2009 | Maya Ritual Reenactment
29 April 2009 | Town's Harbor
27 April 2009 | Daniel at the Blue Hole
25 April 2009 | The Weather Turned Bad
22 April 2009 | View of City from Kikuyu
21 April 2009 | Dangriga Harbor -Daniel doing school work!
19 April 2009 | Whale Shark, Picture by Chelsea Tolppanen
15 April 2009 | kikuyu in the Middle at Anchor in East Harbor

Grenada: Tour of the Island

13 May 2008 | Mona Monkey (Courtesy of Contrails)
Contrails had met a sailor in Trinidad, Jim from S/V Osiris, who took us under his wing and showed us around indicating good places to visit and tour in Grenada. We took a 1-day tour that Jim recommended and, in one day, saw most of the island and its famous places such as the Grenada Nutmeg Factory, Belmond Estate where they produce organic Chocolate and the Rivers Rum factory. We had tours of all of these processes, dined at a local small restaurant and saw the beautiful countryside of Grenada.

Nutmeg production is the main reason Grenada is called the Island of Spice. Unfortunately after hurricane Ivan and Lenny hit the island nutmeg trees were devastated and production is down. The government has implemented plans to increase the population of trees but it takes 10 years for these trees to start producing nuts.

As with most of the other Caribbean islands, Grenada was once inhabited by the Carib Indians who fiercely fought the French and the English. It is said that in their last big battle against the English they were retreated to a high bank overlooking the north-west side of the island in Sauteurs Bay. The Caribs who were left, mostly women and children, jumped to their death rather than surrender. This point has been named Leaper's Hill.

Before ending the trip we stopped at a Park where the Grand Etang lake is located and Mona monkeys come up and take food from tourists. Daniel had a ball feeding mangoes to the monkeys. One of them was very assertive in getting mangoes and at one point shoved one in his mouth that he had been patiently eating on the baranda to dodge after Daniel and Maria for the next mango, grabbing Maria's arm and keeping a good hold on it until he got his prize. Fortunately no blood was drawn and we quickly gave up the mango we were hoping to give to another monkey.

Though currently in its dry season, Grenada is a beautifully green and safe island with very friendly people. The island is very clean, with houses that are for the most part very nice. The standard of living of the island is fairly high as compare to that of other Caribbean islands and democracy appears to be well and vibrant after Bishop, the communist dictator was assassinated along with � of his cabinet in 1983. The second in command at the time, Bernard Coard, with the army had taken him prisoner and after massive crowds freed him an army group executed him. Coard is now rotting in prison while we were told that his wife (who apparently participated) is enjoying a life of luxury back in her native country of Jamaica. Those old enough may remember that the US, under the Reagan administration at the time, sent ships to Grenada to join Grenada's eastern Caribbean neighbors in a rescue mission. We were pleasantly surprised to see writing on a wall of a major intersection thanking the US for freeing Grenada. Hopefully this was not placed by anyone related to the US government but by common Grenadians.

If you come to Grenada and are interested in a tour we would recommend Ken from Ken's Tours & Taxi (VHF 16; cell 473-535-2614). His tour was from 8:30-5:30PM and he charged a reasonable fee. For pictures of our day-trip click on Photo Gallery and view the Grenada album.
Comments
Vessel Name: Kikuyu
Vessel Make/Model: Hallberg-Rassy 37
Hailing Port: Norfolk, VA
Crew: Cunningham's (Captain: Kim; Crew: Maria & Daniel
About: Maria E. Ramos and Daniel Cunningham
Extra:
We are delighted to have you as a visitor to our site. Our family (Dad-Kim, Mom-Maria, 12-year-old son: Daniel) started our cruising adventure in our minds a few years ago. We slowly began to take steps toward achieving this dream. In November of 2007 we departed Annapolis, MD in the Chesapeake [...]
Home Page: www.sailingourway.com

Sailing Our Way

Who: Cunningham's (Captain: Kim; Crew: Maria & Daniel
Port: Norfolk, VA
Our Pictures
Kikuyu and its crew