Sailing around the Caribbean

In 2007 our family sailed from the Chesapeake Bay to the Caribbean, visiting most of the islands and stopping in Cartagena, Colombia for hurricane season. We just returned to the Chesapeake after visiting many Central American countries and islands.

11 July 2009 | Kikuyu in Annapolis Harbor, Looking toward the City
29 June 2009 | The National Young Women's Sailing Competition in Hampton
15 June 2009 | Fort Sumter, Charleston Harbor
02 June 2009 | Kennedy Space Center
01 June 2009 | Beaudacious and Third Boat that Joined us at Anchor in Fort Pierce
31 May 2009 | Our Friends Beaudacions' Mast was Taller than Most Bridges when Opened
25 May 2009 | View of a Canal from Las Olas Marina Boulevard
21 May 2009 | Approaching Miami Harbor
18 May 2009 | One of the Six-toed Cats Sleeping on Hemingway's Master Bed
16 May 2009 | Approaching Key West - Daniel at the bow trying to see land with the binoculars
08 May 2009 | Main Town Harbor
06 May 2009 | Maya Ritual Reenactment
29 April 2009 | Town's Harbor
27 April 2009 | Daniel at the Blue Hole
25 April 2009 | The Weather Turned Bad
22 April 2009 | View of City from Kikuyu
21 April 2009 | Dangriga Harbor -Daniel doing school work!
19 April 2009 | Whale Shark, Picture by Chelsea Tolppanen
15 April 2009 | kikuyu in the Middle at Anchor in East Harbor

Grenada to Bonaire: Going up the Mast under Sail and at Night!

17 May 2008 | After the Sunset on Saturday
The second event that happened during our passage from Grenada to Bonaire is that Kim had to go up the mast on our second day, at 7 PM at night! At around 5:00 PM, as Kim has made it customary when sailing more than 1 day, he did a "deck inspection" by walking around the deck, checking joints, bolts, fittings, the mast, boom, the sails and the rigging. Kim noticed that our radar dome was moving sideways especially as Kikuyu was hit by the periodic 10-second large wave that pushed against its transom. The radar dome is above the first set of shrouds on Kikuyu's mast. We all got on deck and for the next 2 hours checked the situation and pondered our options. We expected the waves to get larger on the following day and given that we could lose this important piece of equipment which could also damage Kikuyu as it came down, we made the difficult decision of pulling Kim up the mast. We say difficult because of many reasons.

1. We would do this under sail as the wind was from behind and, at that time, the waves and the winds had calm down. We had been sailing wing-on-wing with the Main sail on one side of Kikuyu and the Jib on the other. Prior to hoisting Kim up, we pulled in the Jib, including putting in the whisker pole back into its cradle, and continued sailing with our Main sail which provided more stability than if we had motored.
2. Daniel and Maria would have to hoist Kim up the mast using a manual and non self-tailing winch. This meant that we had to excerpt a lot of force winding the winch as we pulled Kim up. Daniel and Maria each used one hand to turn the winch as we steadied and held ourselves with the other hand and used all our strength together. In the past we had used the windlass, which is sort of an electronic winch used to deploy and retrieve our anchor chain, but this was difficult to rig under sail.
3. It was night time by the time we made the decision and got all the tools needed for the fix. This could potentially make the job difficult.

Fortunately everything went as planned and even better as the wind and the waves seem to get smoother while Kim was 40-feet up the mast trying to fix the dome. The night was also very clear and we could see very well. In addition, we turned all of Kikiyu's lights on including the steaming light which provided a good bright light. Kim was successful in rigging a line through the radar dome to support it, though he was unable to get the screws back into the rack where they are lose. We would be hoisting Kim up the mast again when we are in port next!
Comments
Vessel Name: Kikuyu
Vessel Make/Model: Hallberg-Rassy 37
Hailing Port: Norfolk, VA
Crew: Cunningham's (Captain: Kim; Crew: Maria & Daniel
About: Maria E. Ramos and Daniel Cunningham
Extra:
We are delighted to have you as a visitor to our site. Our family (Dad-Kim, Mom-Maria, 12-year-old son: Daniel) started our cruising adventure in our minds a few years ago. We slowly began to take steps toward achieving this dream. In November of 2007 we departed Annapolis, MD in the Chesapeake [...]
Home Page: www.sailingourway.com

Sailing Our Way

Who: Cunningham's (Captain: Kim; Crew: Maria & Daniel
Port: Norfolk, VA
Our Pictures
Kikuyu and its crew