Sailing around the Caribbean

In 2007 our family sailed from the Chesapeake Bay to the Caribbean, visiting most of the islands and stopping in Cartagena, Colombia for hurricane season. We just returned to the Chesapeake after visiting many Central American countries and islands.

11 July 2009 | Kikuyu in Annapolis Harbor, Looking toward the City
29 June 2009 | The National Young Women's Sailing Competition in Hampton
15 June 2009 | Fort Sumter, Charleston Harbor
02 June 2009 | Kennedy Space Center
01 June 2009 | Beaudacious and Third Boat that Joined us at Anchor in Fort Pierce
31 May 2009 | Our Friends Beaudacions' Mast was Taller than Most Bridges when Opened
25 May 2009 | View of a Canal from Las Olas Marina Boulevard
21 May 2009 | Approaching Miami Harbor
18 May 2009 | One of the Six-toed Cats Sleeping on Hemingway's Master Bed
16 May 2009 | Approaching Key West - Daniel at the bow trying to see land with the binoculars
08 May 2009 | Main Town Harbor
06 May 2009 | Maya Ritual Reenactment
29 April 2009 | Town's Harbor
27 April 2009 | Daniel at the Blue Hole
25 April 2009 | The Weather Turned Bad
22 April 2009 | View of City from Kikuyu
21 April 2009 | Dangriga Harbor -Daniel doing school work!
19 April 2009 | Whale Shark, Picture by Chelsea Tolppanen
15 April 2009 | kikuyu in the Middle at Anchor in East Harbor

Holandes Cays

07 January 2009 | The Swimming Pool Anchorage
On January 7 we continued our westbound sailing route to Holandes Cays, praised by sailors for their beauty and the many reefs with vast sea life. Some sailors apparently live in the Holandes Cays ifor months and even years. Kunas in Ulus with engines come here to sell fresh food making it easy to stay at anchor for extended periods of time. A park-like area is kept up by sailors in one of the islands, where grass has been grown and even a water hole has been dug up with enough sweet water to do a lot of laundry. A makeshift table has been set up using that of a sailing boat which ran aground. Sailors often do gatherings and barbeques on this island and hence they named it Barbeque Island.

These cays are famous among sailors not just because of their beauty but also because a lot of newsworthy events happen here. Boats run aground routinely and some with fatal consequences. Just within the last week from when we arrived a boat had hit a reef trying to get into the Swimming Pool anchorage as the Holandes Cays main anchorage is called. This anchorage is right off Barbeque island.

A sad event occurred here on New Year's eve after midnight when the sailors' New Year celebration party ended was the death of a French sailor. He was a single-handler on a Catamaran and left the party alone in his dingy. The next day his dingy was found against a reef by a sailor in the Swimming Pool with its engine on and in neutral. Many sailors in the anchorage joined in the search for the Frenchman and his body was soon found on an island near his boat. Taking his body and his boat to Nargana, the closest most civilized island, was difficult since authorities claimed that they did not have the resources needed. Sailors took care of most logistics, moved his boat to Nargana and contributed the money needed to have the body taken to Panama city in an air conditioned SUV (one that takes backpackers to and from Panama) so that it could be placed in a morgue to await autopsy. As we have found throughout our sailing trip, sailors are very helpful and willing to donate their time, knowledge and money to help fellow cruisers and others in need. This makes this group a special group of people of whom we are fortunate to be a part.

We stayed 5 days in these islands where we were able to snorkel a lot the first two days. Unfortunately the wind increased and the long reef to the east of the islands which blocks waves was not able to block the currents. We tried to snorkel the other days but managed to stay out for short periods of time. We did laundry in the water hole, cooked nice meals and socialized with the other sailors. When it was time to leave we understood why some sailors would stay in the Swimming pool for extended periods of time.
Comments
Vessel Name: Kikuyu
Vessel Make/Model: Hallberg-Rassy 37
Hailing Port: Norfolk, VA
Crew: Cunningham's (Captain: Kim; Crew: Maria & Daniel
About: Maria E. Ramos and Daniel Cunningham
Extra:
We are delighted to have you as a visitor to our site. Our family (Dad-Kim, Mom-Maria, 12-year-old son: Daniel) started our cruising adventure in our minds a few years ago. We slowly began to take steps toward achieving this dream. In November of 2007 we departed Annapolis, MD in the Chesapeake [...]
Home Page: www.sailingourway.com

Sailing Our Way

Who: Cunningham's (Captain: Kim; Crew: Maria & Daniel
Port: Norfolk, VA
Our Pictures
Kikuyu and its crew