Sailing around the Caribbean

In 2007 our family sailed from the Chesapeake Bay to the Caribbean, visiting most of the islands and stopping in Cartagena, Colombia for hurricane season. We just returned to the Chesapeake after visiting many Central American countries and islands.

11 July 2009 | Kikuyu in Annapolis Harbor, Looking toward the City
29 June 2009 | The National Young Women's Sailing Competition in Hampton
15 June 2009 | Fort Sumter, Charleston Harbor
02 June 2009 | Kennedy Space Center
01 June 2009 | Beaudacious and Third Boat that Joined us at Anchor in Fort Pierce
31 May 2009 | Our Friends Beaudacions' Mast was Taller than Most Bridges when Opened
25 May 2009 | View of a Canal from Las Olas Marina Boulevard
21 May 2009 | Approaching Miami Harbor
18 May 2009 | One of the Six-toed Cats Sleeping on Hemingway's Master Bed
16 May 2009 | Approaching Key West - Daniel at the bow trying to see land with the binoculars
08 May 2009 | Main Town Harbor
06 May 2009 | Maya Ritual Reenactment
29 April 2009 | Town's Harbor
27 April 2009 | Daniel at the Blue Hole
25 April 2009 | The Weather Turned Bad
22 April 2009 | View of City from Kikuyu
21 April 2009 | Dangriga Harbor -Daniel doing school work!
19 April 2009 | Whale Shark, Picture by Chelsea Tolppanen
15 April 2009 | kikuyu in the Middle at Anchor in East Harbor

Roatán, Bay Islands, Honduras

18 March 2009 | Sunset from Vivorillos to Roatan
After sailing for 30+ hours from Vivorillo Cays, we finally arrived to Roatán on Wednesday at 1:30 PM. The winds were light (5-10 knots) and came from our port quarter or from behind for the entire passage and we motor-sailed (more motoring than sailing) the 185 miles to French Harbor in Roatán. This is the most we have motored in our entire trip around the Caribbean. This is also the most relaxed trip we have had as Kikuyu was fairly leveled, the waves were the shortest we have seen (1-3 feet at most) making the sea look like a nice round pancake. For most of our passages around the Caribbean we have encountered good winds, but more often winds that are in the '20s.

The Bay Islands (Islas de la Bahia) which are about 50 kilometers off the north coast of Honduras are primarily 3 islands: Roatán, Guanaja and Utila. These islands are known for their spectacular dive sites and marine life. Our first destination is the island of Roatán which lies nearly 400 miles from Providencia. Roatán is said to have some of the best diving in the Caribbean - some cruisers we have met have said that they have found the west end of Roatán to be better for diving than Belize. Daniel and Kim have been preparing to dive here and continue their PADI certification. They are hoping to take the advanced courses which would allow them to dive at night. Maria is happy snorkeling and has not yet felt the urge to plunge into the diving experience.

The Bay Islands have a fiery history. Ruins indicate that Roatán was inhabited at around 600 AD perhaps by Mayan Indians. Columbus discovered Guanaja in his 4th and last voyage in 1502. The Spanish took over the islands, enslaved the indigenous people and sent them to work in the plantations in Cuba and to the gold and silver mines in Mexico. English, French and Dutch pirates took over the islands soon after, with Morgan establishing a base here as well. It is believed that the islands had at least 5,000 pirates by the mid 17th century! After many unsuccessful attacks by the Spanish who wanted to stop the pirates from stealing their galleons, they finally made a successful attack in Roatán's Port Royal, either killing or selling the pirates off as slaves. Another notable event in Roatán's history occurred in 1797 when the Black Caribs from San Vincent were literally dumped by the British in the island. The Caribs settled in the island and mixed in with the local Indians. Some migrated to the main land setting up fishing and farming communities from Nicaragua to Belize. These people are now known as the Garífunda people.
We plan to write more about the Bay Islands after visiting them and spending some time in this interesting place.
Comments
Vessel Name: Kikuyu
Vessel Make/Model: Hallberg-Rassy 37
Hailing Port: Norfolk, VA
Crew: Cunningham's (Captain: Kim; Crew: Maria & Daniel
About: Maria E. Ramos and Daniel Cunningham
Extra:
We are delighted to have you as a visitor to our site. Our family (Dad-Kim, Mom-Maria, 12-year-old son: Daniel) started our cruising adventure in our minds a few years ago. We slowly began to take steps toward achieving this dream. In November of 2007 we departed Annapolis, MD in the Chesapeake [...]
Home Page: www.sailingourway.com

Sailing Our Way

Who: Cunningham's (Captain: Kim; Crew: Maria & Daniel
Port: Norfolk, VA
Our Pictures
Kikuyu and its crew