08 May 2009 | Ventura, California
29 April 2009 | United States/Mexican Border
25 April 2009 | Cabo Colonet, Mexico
08 April 2009 | Bahia Tenacatita, Mexico
09 March 2009 | Half-way to San Jose, Costa Rica
09 March 2009 | Half-way to San Jose, Costa Rica
04 March 2009 | Playa Dominicalito, Costa Rica
27 February 2009 | Savegre River, Costa Rica
21 February 2009 | Isla del Rey, Las Perlas
13 February 2009 | Isla del Rey, Las Perlas
31 January 2009 | Fort Sherman, Colon, Panama
25 January 2009 | Small island of Kuna Yala
24 January 2009 | Isla Maquina, Kuna Yala
18 January 2009
18 January 2009
02 January 2009 | Curacao/Bonaire
02 January 2009 | Curacao/Bonaire
19 December 2008 | Rainforest of St. Lucia
19 December 2008 | Rainforest of St. Lucia
30 September 2008 | Lanzarote, Canary Islands

Kemer Olympics

13 May 2008 | Kemer, Turkey
By Ryan Harris
Kemer is the birthplace of the E.M.Y.R. Since most people join the E.M.Y.R. by this port, they hold the Kemer Olympics for the kids and adults. The organizers figure it is a great way for people to interact and have fun.

The competitions for the adults were tug-of-war, line and shackle race, egg toss, wheelbarrow yogurt race, and the balloon race. The tug-of-war is when you pull the rope away from the other team (duh?). In the line and shackle race, you put down a line through your shirt and out, then continue passing your rope until the last teammate has completed the motion. In the egg toss, you throw your egg to your teammate from a distance away. When you have done a successful throw, you both take one step back. The team who wins is the last pair to toss an egg successfully at the greatest distance. It was the first time I saw a wheelbarrow yogurt race. One teammate grabs the legs of the other, while the second person walks on their hands, like a wheelbarrow. When the other side is reached, that person eats a bowl of plain yogurt without a spoon and then scurries back to the starting line. Last, but not least, is the balloon race, where two people have a balloon between their chests and run a distance back and forth. The winner is the person who does it the fastest, and of course, not dropping the balloon along the way.

Now for the KID Olympics... (which I think is more important). Since there was eight children there were four teams of two. Of course Wesley and I were together. The first race of the kids was the three-legged race. Wesley and I beat everybody by a mile, easily. So far Wesley and I were in first place. Second, there was the spoon egg race. Wesley and I got ready. When everybody started, I dropped my egg and so did Wesley. So we quickly ran back to the to the starting point and ran. I barely tied first place. Since I tied, I had to race again to determine the winner. I won easily since I didn't drop my egg this time.

At the awards ceremony, the top three who placed in the adult Olympics were each crowned with a wreath of flowers. I was the only person who received a wreath of flowers for the kids' Olympics. Then the speakers started to play "We are the champions" by Queen.

It was a cool experience to have a wreath placed on my head. We kept the wreath fresh for a few days in a bucket of water. When we departed to the next port, we gave our wreath a toss behind our stern into the setting sun, a final ceremony at sea.

Comments
Vessel Make/Model: Norseman 430
Hailing Port: Ventura, California
Album: Main | Crew of the S/V Gone Native
Side trip to Samaria Gorge
6 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 27 August 2008