08 May 2009 | Ventura, California
29 April 2009 | United States/Mexican Border
25 April 2009 | Cabo Colonet, Mexico
08 April 2009 | Bahia Tenacatita, Mexico
09 March 2009 | Half-way to San Jose, Costa Rica
09 March 2009 | Half-way to San Jose, Costa Rica
04 March 2009 | Playa Dominicalito, Costa Rica
27 February 2009 | Savegre River, Costa Rica
21 February 2009 | Isla del Rey, Las Perlas
13 February 2009 | Isla del Rey, Las Perlas
31 January 2009 | Fort Sherman, Colon, Panama
25 January 2009 | Small island of Kuna Yala
24 January 2009 | Isla Maquina, Kuna Yala
18 January 2009
18 January 2009
02 January 2009 | Curacao/Bonaire
02 January 2009 | Curacao/Bonaire
19 December 2008 | Rainforest of St. Lucia
19 December 2008 | Rainforest of St. Lucia
30 September 2008 | Lanzarote, Canary Islands

The 2008 EMYR Pirate Party!

18 May 2008 | Girne, Northern Cyprus
by Wesley Harris
"Arrrrr!" everyone in the EMYR yelled as we walked down the streets of Cyprus in pirate costumes. One of the highlights of the EMYR is the annual pirates party. It is a highly promoted event, and we were all informed before we arrived about getting ones swashbuckling costume ready.
We left the marina and arrived to the old port. We began a trail of about 200 people dressed in creatively chosen costumes down the streets. I was wearing a leather type vest and red striped pants, with a red sash and a leather hat. Ryan wore a red shirt with a gold trim and some black pirate pants, and a pirate bandana on his head. As we were walking down the streets of Cyprus we sang pirate songs and waved to the people. They were taking videos and pictures of us.

We walked until the "Pirates of the EMYR" got to the Dome Hotel where the party was hosted. There was a table for each group, and a table for the "young pirates". We "young pirates" were, Cassie and Juliana from Zia, Tom and George from Cowrie of Cows, Anouck and Celine from Cenou, and Brune and Arthur from Arcaloune. After getting settled down with our drinks, we took our swords and fought a friendly pirate game.

To go to the buffet, your group was to be called, but we kids had an advantage--we were allowed to go straight to the chow. The food was great! There were kabobs, rice, soup, and vegetables platters. There was also a dessert table there with fruit, ice cream, cake, and pastries.

After dinner, Dave (not Dad), a key member of the EMYR committee said that we kids would pick the best man and women pirate costume. We walked around the party taking notes of the costumes. After we got our results we went on the stage to tell the winners. The woman was Cathy from the S/V Twixster and the man was Jan from the S/V Sansipapp. They each received a decorated jug from the contest.
After a wonderful time at the party we walked back to the boat. We had great fun and a sense of more "pirate" blood in our bodies.

Comments
Vessel Make/Model: Norseman 430
Hailing Port: Ventura, California
Album: Main | Crew of the S/V Gone Native
Side trip to Samaria Gorge
6 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 27 August 2008