08 May 2009 | Ventura, California
29 April 2009 | United States/Mexican Border
25 April 2009 | Cabo Colonet, Mexico
08 April 2009 | Bahia Tenacatita, Mexico
09 March 2009 | Half-way to San Jose, Costa Rica
09 March 2009 | Half-way to San Jose, Costa Rica
04 March 2009 | Playa Dominicalito, Costa Rica
27 February 2009 | Savegre River, Costa Rica
21 February 2009 | Isla del Rey, Las Perlas
13 February 2009 | Isla del Rey, Las Perlas
31 January 2009 | Fort Sherman, Colon, Panama
25 January 2009 | Small island of Kuna Yala
24 January 2009 | Isla Maquina, Kuna Yala
18 January 2009
18 January 2009
02 January 2009 | Curacao/Bonaire
02 January 2009 | Curacao/Bonaire
19 December 2008 | Rainforest of St. Lucia
19 December 2008 | Rainforest of St. Lucia
30 September 2008 | Lanzarote, Canary Islands

Stanley the Pelican

13 February 2009 | Isla del Rey, Las Perlas
by Ryan Harris
The inhabitants of the Gone Native took a moment to relax. After having a long dingy tour around Isla del Rey we returned to the boat and had a small snack, fit for a king, before Bill went to take a snooze. My Mom and Dad started reading while Wesley and I played on our Wii for about half an hour until our parents called for us to see a pelican on our dingy.

We went outside into the cockpit to see a pelican just sitting there and looking at us curiously. Wesley went back inside our boat to retrieve the camera and started taking pictures. After a few minutes he jumped into the air and flew right on to the back steps of the Gone Native. Wesley started getting closer and took more pictures. Eventually, he reached the pelican's danger point and he flew away. We all were a little sad that it flew away, but got over it and went back to what we were doing in the first place.

We heard our parents calling for us again and saw the pelican on the dingy before they were able to tell us about it. This time as soon as he saw us he flew back onto the back steps, where my Dad was sitting and reading. Stanley, our newly named pelican, jumped into the air and flew onto the rail which was about a yard from where my Dad was sitting. We stared at him totally excited, but did not show it because we didn't want to intimidate Stanley. Just then Bill came out from his nap and was surprised to see Stanley. Bill decided to get some fish for the pelican. A few minutes later the pelican jumped right next to Dad and started nibbling at his legs. Stanley jumped back as Dad moved. He didn't hurt Dad, but just wanted to give him a friendly taste. I guess Dad was just not the flavor he was hoping for.

Dad then handed a piece of fish to Stanley, but once again, he flew off the boat. We expected him to come back in a few minutes, but sadly he never came back again. Although we enjoyed the few minutes with him we were a bit sad that we probably would never see him again, but all in all it was awesome to meet him.

Comments
Vessel Make/Model: Norseman 430
Hailing Port: Ventura, California
Album: Main | Crew of the S/V Gone Native
Side trip to Samaria Gorge
6 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 27 August 2008