Tropical Sailing Adventures

Vessel Name: Maestro
Vessel Make/Model: 72' Custum Irwin Ketch
Hailing Port: Dover, Delaware
About:
"I am a citizen of the most beautiful nation on earth. A nation whose laws are harsh yet simple, a nation that never cheats, which is immense and wihtout borders, where life is lived in the present. [...]
18 February 2016 | Mexico - Puerto Vallarta
08 February 2014
23 October 2013 | Phuket, Thailand
02 October 2013
22 August 2013 | Raiatea, French Polynesia
22 July 2013 | Island of Huahine - least commercial island in French Poly
26 June 2013 | French Polynesia
01 June 2013
25 May 2013
13 May 2013
11 April 2013 | Marquesas
02 April 2013
30 March 2013
21 March 2013
19 March 2013
15 March 2013 | Galapagos
03 March 2013 | Galapagos
24 February 2013 | Galapagos Islands
07 February 2013 | Ecuador
Recent Blog Posts
18 February 2016 | Mexico - Puerto Vallarta

19 months & counting

Trenten Reef Paul turned 19 months yesterday and I can hardly believe how quickly the time has past since his birth in Papeete, Tahiti. We have been on quite an adventure, as always.

08 February 2014

Thailand/Malaysia

Severely behind in my blog update but we've been busy!

23 October 2013 | Phuket, Thailand

Up on dry land

(Above photo flying into Sydney, AUS on our way to Phuket, Thailand)

02 October 2013

Bora Bora

10/2/13

22 August 2013 | Raiatea, French Polynesia

GOOD FORTUNE IN RAIATEA

8/22/13

22 July 2013 | Island of Huahine - least commercial island in French Poly

Huahine

7/18/13

26 June 2013 | French Polynesia

Moorea

We have, (sadly), just dropped Christina and Nicola off at the airport in Tahiti after a week out anchored off the island of Moorea. What a wonderful week full of fun. The ladies hit the spa!, hiking and swimming with Sting Rays and Sharks. The water in Moorea is really clear blue hues. We had a [...]

01 June 2013

Surfs Up Tahiti

http://www.surfertoday.com/surfing/8812-big-wave-madness-continues-in-teahupoo (10 days ago we had another big southern swell)

25 May 2013

Papeete, Tahiti

We are anchored off marina Taina in Papeete, the main city on the island of Tahiti. This is the only 'big city' (250,000) we have seen in several months. It is a mix of European French & casual islander. The large verdant island soars into the sky and is mostly surrounded by a coral barrier reef. [...]

Lima - Friends & Food

08 September 2012 | Peru
SEPT, Lima

We arrived in Lima on Sept 6th and stayed in the Miraflores district of the 7 to 12 million populated city. (census isnt accurate) Fortunatley we had two friendly contacts, whom we met in Ecuador. They treated us to a wonderful lunch at one of Gaston Acurios creations. (Famous Peruvian chef that has put Peru on the gastronomic map) This would be the first introduction into Limas famed cuisine. Dany and Alberto gave us great insight into where to go and what to expect while traveling Peru. Thank you very much! Danys brother, Rhony and together with his wife Ilse, were wonderful hosts during our entire stay in Lima. We cant thank them enough. They showed us art galleries, the famous South American Food Fair Mistura, Limas famous plazas, the BEST restaurants in the city and even took us to a Peruvian traditional dance show at a Pena. Wow... it was quite an introduction to Peru!

Lima is one of the driest places on earth, a massive city surrounded by desert and surf. (Amazing surf!) When we flew in it reminded us of Egypt... Yes, its that dry! There are cosmopolitan areas mixed with poverty and it is all ethnically diverse. Politically Peru has its complexities and her past troubles are in the minds of its inhabitants. The economy has boomed in the last 5-6 years, not unlike many of the other prominent Central & South American countries. Spanish influence is clear in the architecture but does not dominate the various indinginous cultures prevailent throughout the city. Traditional Andean colors are vibrant throughout the city, shops adorn Alpaca & Vicuna scarves, sweaters and textiles expressing complex patterns of indigenous life.

FOOD - Deserving of its own paragraph! First of all - We happened upon a time when the largest South American food festival was taking place. Paradise! Hundreds of booths with Andean foods beautifully presented under a large open air tent which replicated an indian home. Music of the Andes in the back ground while you sample cheeses, olives, sausage, view hundreds of different potatoes, gourmet potatoe chips, Olive Oils, Quinoa (10 different varieties), many corn, fruits that I cannot pronounce, sauces made from more plants that I cannot pronounce... Then we hit the restaurant section. 200 of the top Peruvian chefs selling samples of their dishes.... THEN... (at about 10pm) we hit the dessert tent. Chocolate, Chocolate, Chocolate. Peru has perfectly flavored cocoa and they are not afraid to meld strange spices within it! I could go on but I think I will quit the food section here... as there is more to come about food in Cusco!

Really - We are thankful for the time we spent with our new friends in Lima. You were so gracious to take the time to share with us these special places and tastes of Lima. Thank you!
Comments

About & Links