New Sigmadrive CV/Thrust Bearing addition & review.
27 February 2017 | Stuart, FL
The alignment process was tedious as usual and I found it nearly impossible to get the clearances I was shooting for. Not wanting to add unnecessary wear on the new drive components due to misalignment, I opted for a product I was not aware of until the internet search for a solution began. It's a Bruntons Sigmadrive sigmadrive
, a c/v joint with built in thrust bearing built for the marine industry in England. I also found the youtube video review from SV Prism to be very helpful.
The Stateside rep Rod was very helpful and had my order here within 4 days shipped DHL. I did ask if there was any chance of getting the price of $575 reduced and he offered a "boat show" discount of 10% bringing the price, including shipping to a little more than $500. I installed the part in about 3 hours and took her for a quick test drive of about an hour. I am happy to report that earlier vibrations were cut roughly in half at all operating RPMs. I also feel the noise level has been noticeably reduced. I'll post a follow up after more time on the water.
Repairing the repair.....
07 February 2017 | Port Salerno Boatyard
It seems there was some work done on the prop shaft log by a previous owner many years ago, probably in Venezuela or other South American spot. I don't know why, but there was a 7" extension to the original log, maybe when the new engine was installed. The problem became apparent when the boat started taking on water due to the extension failing from a crack at the connection. It seems they just placed the extension up against the existing log and laid tons of resin around it. It took 3 days of grinding and chipping to remove it all. I repaired the repair by using a fiberglass splice tube epoxied between the new and old making sure the clearance remained at 1/4" around the prop shaft. After all was said and done, new parts included a new cutlass bearing, 1 1/2" shaft, stuffing box with GFO packing, and shaft coupling. As with every boat project, it took on a life of its own. I also replaced all motor mounts, all hose clamps, engine hoses and painted the bilge under the engine. The only item left to do is a final engine alignment. I'm shooting for clearances under .004. This will take a good day of tweaking of the motor mounts. Looking forward to getting back on the water....
Deck work done... now onto the center cockpit
18 April 2016
I must say, it looks great.
Now for the deck and teak... part 2
04 February 2016
Just a quick update on the progress, I wanted to see if the beautiful deck paint, non-skid and new varnished handrails would show in a picture worthy of the way they look. I think so.....
Taking a break
19 November 2015
After getting the cabin trunk completed with new handrails and after painting the topsides, it was time for some fun on the boat. I met my son and brothers down in Palm Beach after a beautiful sail from Stuart for a fishing weekend. Here is the video:
Spinnaker Sail to Palm Beach