La Palapa sails on

28 September 2011 | lanzareta island (or something like that)
27 September 2011 | banco de la concepcion
27 September 2011 | 150nm togo!
26 September 2011 | 40nm of the west tip of africa
26 September 2011 | atlantic ocean
26 September 2011 | 300nm from cananries
25 September 2011 | north atlantic off casablanca
23 September 2011 | gibraltar
23 September 2011 | gibraltar
22 September 2011 | gibraltar
21 September 2011 | gibraltar
20 September 2011 | gibraltar
18 September 2011 | gibraltar
17 September 2011 | spain/gibraltar
16 September 2011 | gibraltar
15 September 2011 | gibraltar
14 September 2011 | gibraltar
13 September 2011 | gibraltar
10 September 2011 | gibraltar

gibraltar day!

10 September 2011 | gibraltar
roger
we left our very opulent very rolly anchorage around 10am a bit behind sched but as soon as we got up. we hailed chocobo on the vhf to get the details on their "escape" they where not really sure what the "transcretion" was and reported a very uncomfortable last night as well. this was good as all morning the talk had been of how we wished we had been on a catamaran the night before! they also reported the current was not bad about 10nm out in front of us. after making us some boiled eggs for breakfast karli went to take a nap to recover from the lack of sleep the night before.

the ride was again very smooth motoring along at 5 kts and 2400 rpm. i again ran out of fuel after exactly 10 engine hours confirming we are basically burning a gph at the 2400 rpm setting and added another 10 gal. it looks like i really need to clean the prop as i should get close to 6 kts at this setting. alas, it is way too cold to get in the water so i am a bit concerned about this!!

we got around the rock of gibraltar (see photo tomorrow) without too much adverse tide or wind and karli was able to sleep right up to the harbor. or course by the time we got to the harbor we had 20 kts of wind and i was concerned about docking. fortunately the harbor is inside this block of condos blocking the wind quite nicely. once we figured out where to go (the marina was not on the cart in the same place) we got in and managed to back in between two other boats with no drama. of course we are actually touching both neighbors by the time we secure i really do not dig this med mooring crap!

after we got situated we could hear loud music and remembered it was gibraltar day! of course this meant no parts for 3 days until things reopened on tues, "perfect" timing. after getting the boat closed up and having a few drinks on the dock we decided to walk down town and check out the party. fortunately karli had her new favorite red dress on and i borrowed her red hat as everyone was decked out in red and white. it turned out to be a bit longer walk than planned eventually we found the dock area but before we could stop for some food karli spotted the chocoboers. we stopped by there boat had a few more drinks and a bit of food before going out on the town. it really was like st Patricks day. we got what seemed like really cheep rum and cokes and found a cool roof top bar to enjoy them at.

after a few rounds of these we decided we needed to get back to palapa (probably should have left earlier) we ended up diverting to a burger king on the way back where karli made friends with another gay employee and got directions home. we finally made it to palapa and bed after some heated discussions about behaving responsibly or lack there of!

cheers, roger
Comments
Vessel Name: La Palapa
Vessel Make/Model: Catalina/Morgan 440
Hailing Port: Lake View OR USA
Crew: Roger Hayward

Sail on La Palapa

Who: Roger Hayward
Port: Lake View OR USA