SAIL SAMAL, PHILIPPINES

Come join us in this wonderful island in the Southern Philippines

20 June 2009 | Davao and Samal, Philippines
01 May 2009 | Samal and Davao, Philippines
25 February 2009 | Samal Island
02 February 2009 | Davao, Philippines
23 January 2009 | Davao, Philippines
11 January 2009 | Davao, Philippines
07 January 2009 | Davao, Philippines
24 December 2008 | Davao Gulf, Philippines
21 December 2008 | Davao Gulf, Philippines
19 December 2008 | Davao
17 December 2008 | Philippines
16 December 2008 | Pacific
15 December 2008 | Pacific
13 December 2008 | Pacific
12 December 2008 | Pacific
10 December 2008 | Samal, Davao Gulf
06 December 2008 | South Pacific
05 December 2008 | South Pacific
04 December 2008 | South Pacific
02 December 2008 | South Pacific

Merry Christmas!

24 December 2008 | Davao Gulf, Philippines
Wiskun
Christmas is here once again. Tomorrow will be the first anniversary of our arrival in Davao.

For the past 6 years, Christmas was spent in the tropics, hence, hot and no snow. It felt strange at first, but now I am used to it. I still remember our first Christmas away, and it was in Mexico. Arriving in Cabo San Lucas at night was a shock to our system. First, all the city lights resembled navigation lights - greens and reds. Then anchoring close to shore, we had to bear with the loud Christmas and disco music from the night clubs all night and all day. For Filipinos, does this sound familiar?

In the Philippines, music and fiestas are close to the hearts of the Filipinos. This happy attitude is predominant and as a foreigner, you can't help but notice this right away. When you go to malls, walk along streets, ride the public buses or jeeps, visiting friends, group get-togethers - you will hear music being played - sometimes very loud. Caroling, an age-old tradition still exists.

Another thing you will notice is FOOD! Restaurants, side street vendors, cafeterias, fastfood centers - they are everywhere. When you go visiting friends, that's the first thing you will be asked - "have you eaten?"

Especially during Christmas, you will note a lot of sharing and giving. This is the time when people go to banks to withdraw brand new and crisp 100 peso bills, ready on hand to give. Company shirts are all wrapped in Christmas papers ready to give away when somebody knocks on the door. Calendars, umbrellas or bags too! Old clothes are gathered to be delivered to the "bukid" (outskirts) for the farmers, caretakers and their families. The farmers come down to the city to give away chickens or eggs. Pigs and cows are roasted and butchered to feast with everybody.

So, even though I miss the snow, there are some things here that I will never find in Canada - the happy and relaxed attittude of the Filipinos inspite of not having all the material things we are used to back home.

To everyone, we wish you a very Merry Christmas and may the New Year be better. Maayong pasko ug malipayong bag-ong tuig. God Jul og Godt nytt år.

Photo credit: www.filipinasoul.com
Comments
Vessel Name: Wiskun
Vessel Make/Model: Samson C-Breeze
Hailing Port: Vancouver, BC , Canada
Crew: Kjartan Sekkingstad and Ellen Lee-kwen
About: We sailed out of Vancouver, BC in 2002 and are now in a beautiful island in the Gulf of Davao, Southern Philippines.
Home Page: http://www.sailsamal.com/

WISKUN

Who: Kjartan Sekkingstad and Ellen Lee-kwen
Port: Vancouver, BC , Canada