SAIL SAMAL, PHILIPPINES

Come join us in this wonderful island in the Southern Philippines

20 June 2009 | Davao and Samal, Philippines
01 May 2009 | Samal and Davao, Philippines
25 February 2009 | Samal Island
02 February 2009 | Davao, Philippines
23 January 2009 | Davao, Philippines
11 January 2009 | Davao, Philippines
07 January 2009 | Davao, Philippines
24 December 2008 | Davao Gulf, Philippines
21 December 2008 | Davao Gulf, Philippines
19 December 2008 | Davao
17 December 2008 | Philippines
16 December 2008 | Pacific
15 December 2008 | Pacific
13 December 2008 | Pacific
12 December 2008 | Pacific
10 December 2008 | Samal, Davao Gulf
06 December 2008 | South Pacific
05 December 2008 | South Pacific
04 December 2008 | South Pacific
02 December 2008 | South Pacific

All Good

01 May 2009 | Samal and Davao, Philippines
wiskun
Yesterday, a sailing couple checked out of Davao on their way to New Zealand. They have been here for a while now, and have come to visit us in Samal. Every now and then, they called me to seek my help. Even though I am very busy, I stop and help them each time they call. This is an unwritten sailor's rule - helping fellow cruisers. At least for us - but sad to say, some people take this for granted. Anyway, they came to see me for the last time before checking out, to borrow some charts for copying. I thought they would come and thank me for expediting their order of batteries from Manila (I had to call long distance to Manila for them), get them delivered to my office. Instead, all I got were complaints about Davao and how they would never recommend anybody to come to Davao. Somehow I get the feeling that I represent Davao and all its imperfections are my fault. I am here to help and "THAT is MY DUTY", therefore there is no need to show appreciation for all my help.

In sailing, we take the good and the bad. It is our choice to visit other countries, enjoy all its wonders, and take their imperfections. Philippines is considered a 3rd world country, and majority of the people are below poverty level. It is true, that if you are a tourist, they try to "scam" you for extra money. The key word here is TRY. If you are street smart, you can joke your way out of it, in a polite and un-offending manner. Remember our sailor's rule - whatever you do, it will affect other sailors in your wake. So if you give in to the scammers and give them way more than is necessary, they will expect more from the next sailor who comes this way. We have seen this in the Pacific Islands. In some countries where they can't speak English, they even appoint an "agent" who can speak it to be their frontman. The more "business" they get from unsuspecting tourists, the bolder they become. So please please please - do be more aware of the consequences of your actions.

One good thing they did point out is that they felt safe and secure walking around Davao, and overall, even with the "extra" money scammed from them, it was still very cheap. I do understand the frustrations and I sometimes wonder if it is because one felt cheated that caused the anger. Here are some suggestions I could make:

1) Taxis - check if they had started the meter. If not and they refused to, get out. Or you can get the driver's name and his employee number. Say that you will check their actions with the taxi owners.

2) Stay with taking the jeepneys - they have a fixed price. If they charge more, get out. Just pay the fixed price and walk away.

3) Shop in malls and supermarkets - their prices are fixed, no bargaining to do.

4) Show respect and humility - do not shout and get angry. It just makes matters worst. You are a foreigner and your word will not count.

5) Do use a local that you can trust for bargaining purposes.

6) Always remember you are the visitor.

My last point is very important. I have seen foreigners take Philippines and Filipinos for granted, thinking it is a 3rd world country therefore they are superior. Showing this kind of attitude makes Filipinos even more disrespectful of foreigners. They will scam you and feel they have a right to, as a revenge. Remember - Philippines had been under foreign rule for a long time before and this attitude against foreigners may deeply be engrained. The perception that when you are "white" you are super rich is also deeply engrained.

The sailing couple did not show any disrespect, however they were targets. I feel bad about it, but like I said, if you are street smart, you can get out of being scammed. If you don't like to be in that situation, then stay with dealing with bigger establishments. As for authorities, they will try to ask for lots of money, but one sailor joked his way out of it and just gave them a pack of cigarettes. I must say that his way was way much better - both sides felt they gained something, no further consequences to other sailors in his wake.

I must strongly point out though, the majority of people here is not bad. Filipinos are generally friendly and happy people. Proof of this is my sister-in-law's visit. She is left alone to bike and travel around Samal on her own, and I have never heard of any negative things from her. If there are, she had taken them all in good stride, she being a visitor only. The best proof that she loved Samal is that she is already planning to buy a retirement condo here. So all is good.

Comments
Vessel Name: Wiskun
Vessel Make/Model: Samson C-Breeze
Hailing Port: Vancouver, BC , Canada
Crew: Kjartan Sekkingstad and Ellen Lee-kwen
About: We sailed out of Vancouver, BC in 2002 and are now in a beautiful island in the Gulf of Davao, Southern Philippines.
Home Page: http://www.sailsamal.com/

WISKUN

Who: Kjartan Sekkingstad and Ellen Lee-kwen
Port: Vancouver, BC , Canada