Sailing with Thor

09 July 2011 | Blaine Harbor
07 July 2011 | Montague Harbor, Galiano Island
05 July 2011 | Gabriola Island, BC
04 July 2011 | Musket Cove Marine Park, Hardy Island
01 July 2011 | Gorge Harbor, Cortes Island
29 June 2011 | Rebecca Spit Marine Park, Drew Bay
25 June 2011 | Octopus Islands Marine Park
23 June 2011 | Octopus Islands Marine Park
22 June 2011 | Walsh Harbor Marine Park
21 June 2011 | Roscoe Cove
20 June 2011 | Prideaux Haven
18 June 2011 | Prideaux Haven
16 June 2011 | Tenedos Bay
14 June 2011 | Squirrel Cove, Cortes Island
11 June 2011 | Squirrel Cove, Cortes Island
09 June 2011 | Princess Louisa Inlet, BC, Canada
08 June 2011 | Princess Louisa Inlet, BC, Canada
07 June 2011 | Egmont @Secret Bay, BC, Canada
04 June 2011 | Pender Harbor, BC, Canada
03 June 2011 | Smugglers Cove Marine Park

Puffers and flying rays

19 January 2011 | Isa Partida, Sea of Cortez
When we're out cruising, it's hard to figure out where the time goes...one minute we are putting the anchor down and the next thing we know several days have passed. We've been at Ensenada Grande for 3 days and have enjoyed every minute of the beauty of this place. The bay is large with rock formations that border on sculptures...the rock looks like lace in some places and in others it looks like molten rock has dripped and or been spread over others. I hope the pictures do it justice. We explored 4 separate beaches within the bay, each one unique with mangroves and some with sink holes behind them. The wildlife abounds in this bay, also. There is a constant splash and slap as small rays fly out of the water and do a belly flop back in. Some of these little guys will do this many times in a row and one time I thought one was going to jump right into the dinghy. The puffer fish are very numerous here and are extremely curious little creatures swimming around the boat and coming to the surface. Lorrie tried feeding them and found they like bread over grilled chicken. The water is so clear that we can see lots of species of fish in addition to the puffers swimming under the boat and near the reefs. We've seen turtles too. We witnessed a really odd phenomenon...yesterday a "red tide" advanced into the bay. A swirling slick cloud of red looking just like blood filled the entire bay turning the clear blue-green water to an opaque dark red. This happened late in the day and by the next morning, it was completely gone. Very strange...never seen anything like it before. Also,while here, I took advantage of the 69 degree water and once again cleaned the water line. I also noticed the zinc was again just about gone and replaced it while I was in the water. The boat must be emitting stray current somehow to cause this kind of degradation so quickly to the zinc. I'm wondering if using the SSB radio has anything to do with it?
Comments
Vessel Name: Thor
Vessel Make/Model: Pacific Seacraft 40
Hailing Port: Bellingham, WA
Crew: Marc and Lorrie Cascio

Who: Marc and Lorrie Cascio
Port: Bellingham, WA